Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just read through a post where some very odd ideas and preconceived notions about ECing had ben posted. Including several posters thinking that 4-5 months old was too soon and impossible.

I thought it would be fun (and hopefully a bit educational for newer EC parents) to list when we all started ECing with our children.

I have one child and I started at 2 weeks, but not 24 hours a day (mainly because MIL was around and I really needed to give it 100% from the start once we began, so we were in adorable washable dipes before then). Then, I really went full time day at 5 weeks and very soon thereafter, night times as well. It was super rewarding, but a steep learning curve at first. I have to say that I would not do it any differently, except start from day one, now that I know how it was the first time. I could not voluntarily stop communicating and let my child sit in his or her bodily fluids.

Even now, years later, I still see babies of all ages and I see the signs and know they are about to go.... and wish their parent could only see that (or want to see it), too. I wish I could say something, but not my place, so I just say to baby, yeah, having a good poop?, or something between us like that. :)

Who else has some starting points and why did you choose then?

·
Registered
3,611 Posts
Two months with my first, more like 2 weeks with my second. No particular reason for those starting times. That's just when I felt ready to take it on. I started pretty gradually with both babies, not giving up diapers or trying to catch every pee, just trying to catch some pees, get the baby used to peeing on cue, and starting to figure out their timing and cues.

·
Registered
436 Posts
We started trying after the initial OMG there's a baby here wore off, around 4 days? Dh got the first pee from signaling at 6 weeks. For this little guy due in February I've got EC-friendly diapers already.

Maybe that site had people who were only thinking in terms of the baby sitting on the potty instead of being held.

·
Registered
6,405 Posts
My oldest was 2 mo when I learned about ec and we pretty much started right away, though slowly & part time for a while. He was a grad & potty independant by 2 yrs.

We started from the beginning with my second babe, though he was in the NICU for a couple weeks so it was part time then. He took longer to be independent but we had external stresses (moving, divorce) that contributed to that.

·
Registered
2,521 Posts
My first was at 9mths. My second was at a few days and my third, was also at a few days after birth. With my third, I actually intended to use diapers at first, for a little while, and then just felt it was unnecessary....I had it down pretty much from ec'ing my 2nd. Old habits do die hard I have found!

·
Registered
771 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
436 Posts
@SecondtimeMama: the comments were actually part of a thread on MDC,and I had never seen comments like that before. They thought that babies couldn't control their bladders yet at 4-5 months. It was just odd how they jumped into a slightly unrelated thread on something totally different. The thread itself is kind of interesting for other reasons. :)

http://www.mothering.com/forum/227-...-baby-spiteful-toward-me-ec.html#post19209689
I think things got a bit confused with the spiteful language. Add in people who didn't already know EC and the confusion went really bad fast.

·
Registered
1 Posts
EC-friendly diapers?

We started trying after the initial OMG there's a baby here wore off, around 4 days? Dh got the first pee from signaling at 6 weeks. For this little guy due in February I've got EC-friendly diapers already.

Maybe that site had people who were only thinking in terms of the baby sitting on the potty instead of being held.
Can you recommend some EC-friendly diapers? Thanks!!

·
Registered
436 Posts
Can you recommend some EC-friendly diapers? Thanks!!
With our first, we just did flats with a plain pull on PUL cover (which I haven't been able to find this time around). I'd fold the diaper in a rectangle and just pull the whole thing down like undies. If the diaper got wet, I'd pull it out and put in a new one as long as the cover hadn't gotten too wet (after awhile of lots of catches I stopped carrying a second cover and ended up drying the one cover with a restroom hand dryer a few times).

I also found a video someone made about using the origami fold for a flat and tying it around the baby's waist to make a flip front diaper and used that at home.

This time, I'm going to try tie on covers with just a rectangle folded diaper inside.

Sorry, that was a long way to say that flats were the best because they were versatile, cheap, and washed and dried like normal clothes.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts