Mothering Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just wondering. Ours is pretty much 9 but still believing but of course doesn't have any one to spoil it for her like older siblings or cousins.

·
Registered
5,903 Posts
I dont remember, we homeschool and kiddo went to a daycare while i was working so somewhere around 7-8 i want to say.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We don't celebrate nor would we do Santa if we did but I was about 6/7 when I stopped believing

Thanks.

I don't personally celebrate. Dh has gone from giving his family presents pre-dd to completely stopping all kinds of tradition and then started presents for dd probably from when she could understand. At age 3 or so I told dd Santa was not real. I don't really know what she made of it. I think it probably made her sad or she just didn't understand what was being said, but I didn't have an understanding of it until dh told me his mother had brutally informed him of the same. It broke his heart. After that I've decided to let it take it's course, so to speak. But, now at this age it's getting harder and harder to hide. She stays awake for a long time in anticipation.

·
Registered
530 Posts
I like what my parents did. They never played it up, and my mother always said "Santa Claus is the spirit of Christmas." We left milk and cookies out for the Tomten, but not with any expectation of anything from him, just a big love for those books.

So I don't remember ever believing in man from the North Pole trying to fit down the chimney. Maybe I did, but it dissipated early and naturally. I've tried to further this with my own kids (took a little talking to get both parents on the same page). They are 7 and 8 now and both know.

·
Registered
1,470 Posts
My special-needs twin sons? 13.
The middle son? Unfortunately, 5. But that's because someone told him, really just to be malicious.
My "baby", with the 3 older brothers? This year. 7. :frown:

I'm almost certain I was 10, and I've heard of other kids being 10 - and, like me, hearing it from other kids and succumbing to the obvious logic (rather than deducing it for themselves).

Don't worry. Just enjoy it. Once it's gone, it's gone.

·
Registered
148 Posts
My 8 y/o godchild still believes. I believed until I was about 11 (although I continued to pretend until I was 15, because I enjoyed the idea of Santa Claus so much); Brother 1 believed until 12/13 (his parents actually had to sit down and tell him that Santa wasn't real, because it was getting embarrassing), Brother 2 stopped believing around 7/8; Sister stopped believing at 4 (she saw the presents in the closet, and there was no convincing her after that); Brother 3 stopped believing around 9/10; and Brother 4 stopped believing around 8 (although he continued to tell us he believed until he was around 11, because he thought he would receive less presents if he said he didn't believe in Santa Claus).

I feel like it's normal to stop believing sometime between 9 years and 13 years...earlier than that, and it's usually because someone spoiled it for them (or else, they never believed in the first place).

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My 8 y/o godchild still believes. I believed until I was about 11 (although I continued to pretend until I was 15, because I enjoyed the idea of Santa Claus so much); Brother 1 believed until 12/13 (his parents actually had to sit down and tell him that Santa wasn't real, because it was getting embarrassing), Brother 2 stopped believing around 7/8; Sister stopped believing at 4 (she saw the presents in the closet, and there was no convincing her after that); Brother 3 stopped believing around 9/10; and Brother 4 stopped believing around 8 (although he continued to tell us he believed until he was around 11, because he thought he would receive less presents if he said he didn't believe in Santa Claus).

I feel like it's normal to stop believing sometime between 9 years and 13 years...earlier than that, and it's usually because someone spoiled it for them (or else, they never believed in the first place).

Thanks. Various age ranges and also reasons. :)

·
Registered
170 Posts
My parents didn't celebrate Christmas so I grew up without it and I presented the santa story as a legend to my son right from the start. This year (he's 12 yo) I asked if he wishes we had pretended Santa was real and he emphatically said, "NO! I'm glad you didn't lie to me." LOL

·
Registered
30 Posts
All my kids are home schooled so its a plus no one at a school could spoil the magic of Christmas for them. My oldest (16) and the rest who are all younger all still believe in Santa and I think its wonderful :) I don't think I could have tell them the truth. I'm sure some day but not too soon they will find out :)

·
Premium Member
9,674 Posts
I was mad as hell when I found out at 8. I never really trusted my parents again... all the good stuff in my childhood was linked to their "lies".

We never did santa with our kids. And yes, I did coach them NOT to spoil the secret for anyone else.

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, I was an overwhelmed mom (older too.) Her grandparents were doing Santa for other grand kids and instead of telling them to go with our plan we instead went with theirs. I have to admit that since I had never done Santa I liked the idea of receiving a surprise under a decorated tree. But I have to say this was probably what I thought. I can't say for sure since a lot of it is a blur in the present. So, even though I told her at a young age Santa wasn't real I then began the lies from the following year. I regret it and I hope she will understand but if she doesn't I have to live with the consequences.

·
Registered
46 Posts
We don't do Santa and DS, 3-1/2, knows not to spoil the fun for his friends (I'm their nanny and they all believe--8,6,4,2). But he often whispers to me when we're alone "Santa's a 'phomey!' [Phoney] Hahaha! " And he frequently follows it up with a wink. I can't get with of that! :)

1 - 15 of 15 Posts