Mothering Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,<br>
My ds is 4. He's getting to the point where some of his friends are being dropped off for playdates without the parent coming. I'm not ready to do that yet, and I'm wondering: at what age have other people done it?<br><br>
Also, before you drop your kid off, how do you broach difficult subjects to the other kids' parents like "Do you own a gun, how is it stored" and "Do you watch any TV (I try to steer him away from violent cartoons?

·
Premium Member
17,022 Posts
I drop my kids off for playtime, but only with families that I know well and am comfortable with. As for the questions, they would have already been answered over the course of my getting to know them.

·
Registered
3,105 Posts
Depends on so many factors. DS has just turned 4, and he and his girlfriend have occasional play dates. They are 1-2 hours tops. Her parents live across the field from us, within visual distance.<br><br>
More important is the comfort level of the kids. This little girl likes play dates, but most often wants her mom or dad within visual sight, which is totally OK, but means their play does not turn into a "drop off." I think a different kid might be totally comfortable with it though.<br><br>
Also important for me is that I know the parents to a certain degree. So I know I am comfortable if my kids would be there as a drop off. If I don't know them well, then the first times would have to be with parents present, so I could get to know them.<br><br>
I have a good friend that has a DD that my DS and DD love, and I have dropped off both my kids there several times. Which brings me to your next point: broaching difficult subjects. Most things I really let go. We do not watch tons of tv, but my good friend has the tv on almost 24/7. She normally has kids videos on if they are awake, but sometimes it is just whatever as background noise. I don't agree with it for our family, but I totally let it go, because I do not think it will hurt my kids in the slightest if they see the tv for 3 hours straight every once in a while. And they are playing with their friend's toys, not actually just watching the tv 90% of the time anyway. My kids know there are different rules in different places. IMO, a firearm is in a totally different league than tv. This is a non-issue here, so you'll have to hear from others about that.

·
Registered
4,205 Posts
I would drop off my DD for a playdate only if I knew the family very, very well, and were close friends with the parents and had much previous contact with them. There is only one family like this in my life right now.<br><br>
For more casual playdates, depending on the child, I would probably be willing to drop them off and leave at around age 7.

·
Registered
638 Posts
It depends on the family and how well we know them. My DS is 4 now, but I started dropping him off for play dates when we was a toddler with friends we knew really well and in homes where he was really comfortable. We only had a few friends that we would do that with, though, and it was usually only for a couple of hours (it helped us get a break, too!). We had met in a baby class when all of our babies were newborns, became great friends and saw each other ay least 3 times a week. Our kids are totally comfortable around all the other moms and we all have similar feelings about guns, TV, junk food, most topics of concern. We had all spent a lot of time in each other's homes. It was more like an extended family as most of us lived far away from our real families. Since he has been in preschool (he is in his second year of preschool now) we have only gained one more friend that he goes over to play with without me - he feels comfortable with his friend's mom, their house and I know it is safe. Otherwise, I go along until we are both comfortable with the situation.

·
Registered
5,467 Posts
I allowed it to some degree as early as 3 we live in apartments and know certain neighbors rally well its common for the kids to kinda play in packs (older and younger together) and kinda rotate houses. I still walked her over made sure it was okay with the parent it was often for maybe 30 mintues and with parents I already knew and knew about say guns or smoking ect..<br>
DD is now 5.5 (six this month) and shes just now at the point I've allowed her to have a few play dates at school mates homes with out me (after I've met and talked with the parents) for extended time. two parents I trust enough to allow DD to ride with them and to allow them to take her places.<br><br>
Deanna

1 - 7 of 7 Posts