Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I have had kinda lackluster results with the nikwax that costs a fortune online... I mean for rewaterproofing old fb lites & keester kovers aios that never were very waterproof to begin with... well, it's hunting season (or soon) i guess, & wal-mart has started stocking sportwash again, & they have the atsko brand waterproofer (VERY reasonably priced) & the somewhat pricier Scotch brand one.

has anybody tried either product yet? i'm going to get one or the other & give it a shot, but wanted to know if anyone else has tried them. (if not, i'll give one a go, & let y'all know if it works better than the nikwax did.)

here's to fewer leaks (and god knows those old fuzzis need some help, and the keester kovers aios are way too thick to want to use a cover with, like i've had to, so wish me luck!)

suse

·
Registered
2,083 Posts
Permanent Water-Guard works great. Spray it on until wet, air dry until damp & toss into the dryer for 10-15min. It lasts for 25 washes. We use it & so do a lot of wahms who use cotton on the outside of diapers to stop wicking.
HTH
Amy

·
Registered
227 Posts
I use Permanent Water Guard on my non-laminated Happy Heinys to prevent wicking and it seems to work pretty well.

That said, I'm not sure what you saw at Wal-Mart is the same thing. What I saw at my Wal-Mart was the Silicone Water Guard. It sounds like the Silicone Water Guard is more for footwear and camping/hunting gear whereas the Permanent Water Guard is for fabrics. I'm not sure if the Silicone would be ok to use on diapers or not.

By doing a search on Google, it looks like you can find the Permanent Water Guard in some sporting good stores (Oshman's, Fog Dog, Dunham's, MC Sports, Sports Authority) as well as K-mart and various places online (including Atsko's website). Most of the stores in my search seem to be selling a 17 fl oz bottle for $10.

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
8,654 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks amy- yes, i tried the silicone guard- it does say for cotton, fabric etc., so i hope it is ok. that said, we just had our first trial pee- and it was great! the keester kover is finally the aio it proposed to be! i've never been asble to use them w/out bulky covers before- it's like i suddenly have 6 new aios!
gee, i hope it is ok to use on them tho'. so far, so good; it's not actually next to the skin, after all.
btw, where do you find the other stuff?
anyway, good ol' atsko! that nikwax was not very good!

suse

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.