Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a Go Talk One $12 (free shipping) (http://www.attainmentcompany.com/AB1...ID=1675&DID=11) and a Wrist Talker $31.95 (+$7 shipping) (http://enablingdevices.com/viewprodu...session=child).

Does anyone have any experience with augmentive communication devices? My 40mo ds has been in therapy for almost a year now and he still cannot talk. He's only learned to say "no" and "me" and "moo moo" since then but he does approximate with more words. He can also say "mama" and "dada".

Sincerely,
Debra

·
Registered
428 Posts
I have a dd with severe CP who probably will never be able to talk but is cognitively decent. We have worked a lot with aug com with her. Right now she has a Dynavox MightyMo and she is learning to use that. It is a little computer and she uses her switch to pick what she wants to say...thousands of words and phrases arranged in folders.

Before that we used a 2-button Say it Play it talker, an 8 button Cheap Talk, and a Big Mack switch. I love the Big Mack! She also has a Sequencer (Little Step-by-Step) that allows several different messages to play so you can tell a story.

I would say that the communicators you picked are a good starting point, but they are both single message devices which is really limiting. It only allows your child to say the one thing programmed into the communicator.

Have you ever considered PECS? As he a candidate for signing?

·
Registered
1,378 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by srmina View Post
I would say that the communicators you picked are a good starting point, but they are both single message devices which is really limiting. It only allows your child to say the one thing programmed into the communicator.

Have you ever considered PECS? As he a candidate for signing?
In fact I made an 8 1/2 x 11 size book and a mini book to take with us! He can't sign well since he only has 4 fingers and 2 thumbs and all his digits are very short. I can understand his "please", "thank you", and "more" signs though.

I bought the communicators to use at the library and the park across the street. We go frequently and when other children ask his name he cannot answer. I thought this might help. I made a PEC card with his photo on it and the phrase "My name is Roger" but most preschoolers can't read! LOL!

We're homeschoolers so my son doesn't need to be able to be understood by a teacher and I can understand him a lot of the time. I will look into the communicators you mentioned!

Thank you for your reply!

Sincerely,
Debra, homeschooling mom of 4 ages 9 3/4, 8 1/2, 6 1/2, and 40 mos

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.