Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 80 Posts

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think a monthly chat thread is plenty at this point!

We had our 4 week appointment today a couple days early.

Baby's height has jumped from 20.5" to 22.5" already & weight from 9lb 6oz to 11lb 3oz!

She's still a bit yellow but I guess that will resolve in time. No worrisome jaundiced symptoms so it will last as long as long as it lasts.

We've had weather in upper 70s so we filled up the kiddie pool outside to splash in. But the water's too cold for my toddler to stay in long! Oh well. The lake is the same, and such a tough walk those 80 yards down a steep incline & especially back up!

My boys have already started school. 4th & 6th grades! (It would be 5th & 7th in the US, they start a year later here ). They are really both tweens now, just one more year until I have an actual teenager! Ack. I'm still going through a puberty book with him that explains boy plumbing in a way designed for boys to digest, once I think he understands everything about his own mechanics (at least another six months or a year I think ), then I'll talk to him about safe sex. No first girlfriends yet, so no rush. His same age best friend since birth who goes to another school is very advanced with his social life, going to boy girl dances and having a sweetheart, but my son and his little group of pals seems not quite at that level yet. I'm thrilled.

I'm trying to cut out sugar (besides fruit ) and excess grains (any besides one piece of whole grain rye bread in the morning plus quinoa in dishes).

Is going fine, day 4, no cravings anymore but feeling angsty and irritable.

Ok that's all the random chat I can think of!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I just announced last night that we need to rehab our diet too! There have been way too many ice cream nights lately when we have watermelons from the CSA piling up. I wouldn't mind ice cream from our Amish farmer, but this has been the (organic) Wegman's stuff which is so loaded with sugar.

I can't believe how fast this baby is growing either! She's outgrown a lot of the 3-6 month clothing already (at 3 weeks!) I think she's the size of your baby @Serafina33 - probably longer since she was 22.5" at birth! It's the length that she's outgrown the footed sleepers in - and the foot size. The 3-6 month Children's Place sleeper I put on her yesterday wouldn't allow her to stretch her full length and her little toes were curled under. :lol She's just barely fitting in the Gymboree 3-6 month footed sleepers now... This leaves me wondering what size to by for her for fall/winter...maybe I'll just wait and see. I'm really glad we didn't buy much in the way of clothing ahead of time.
I was going to weigh her at he CSA yesterday but the scales only go to 9 lbs. I might try out the produce scale at Wegman's one of these days as they're pretty accurate and the digital scales go higher than 9 lbs. She was 11.2 lbs on Sunday which is just crazy to me! Slow down, baby!

I think at 23 days, Iselin prefers to stay home and sleep around the clock. We had a few evenings of her being overtired where she had a hard time going to sleep at bedtime. I made sure we got home and got her to sleep earlier yesterday afternoon (and made sure she slept until noon before we went out) and bedtime was seamless. I'm not sure how to make this happen when we have things to do - maybe only allow outings of 2-3 hours a day and try to let her sleep during those outings? Anyone else noticing this scenario with their baby?

My 15 year old starts school on 8/31 and today is the high school tour. My 12 year old also has a birthday party around the same time and I'm trying to figure out how to let baby sleep... I made the mistake of lifting the bucket seat from the car and into a shopping cart and I could feel it in my pelvis. Never doing THAT again. trying to remember that I shouldn't be lifting anything heavier than baby at this point...

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Ugh,school. I love summer break and it always goes by too fast. We have lots of fun summer activities planned for the next couple weeks.

Baby and I had our 6 week check up with my midwife yesterday. Everything with me is good to go. Dexter is now 12 lbs 6oz, up just about 4lbs from birth. Last night I was taking some 6 week photos and I realized my favorite jammies ate getting too small on him. I want to refuse to put my 1 month old baby in 3-6m clothes, but I don't think he'll last much longer in 0-3.

I'm glad your oldest is acting on the younger side of his peers @Serafina33, I hope that for my children too.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Have any of you seen this story?

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/mama-...-son_b_7967402.html?ncid=txtlnkusaolp00000592

That mama's in my midwife's local mama group! I don't follow any media but when I checked in with our local community group - that's what I saw! Wowza...I think that's awesome and would be so cool if it were more the norm. I nursed my sister's baby (just once, to see if her nursing/weight gain issues were with her latch or my sister's nipples/supply) and it was so sweet.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
Astoria is about 11#3oz, up from 8#3oz. Not sure on length. She's 5 weeks. She is just growing out of newborn clothes into 0-3 months.
These babies are growing too fast!
In other news. Our upstairs is gutted, putting in new insulation. We decided we couldn't do another freezing winter with the kids up there and we have to replace the roof due to hail damage in May. Soooo, it's sucks. But it'll be awesome when it's done. I'm hoping to move Atlas to the boys room before the holidays. We are also working on potty training. And planning the new school year. We mostly unschool but now that Amethyst is older we are getting more serious, she's starting 10th grade. I'm a little nervous about it all this year. What with high school, Bear will just work on lots of reading, maybe a little math and I'd like to start cursive. Abbott has been asking to learn how to read and does "schoolwork" every day at the table. Then a loud toddler and a new baby! Oh, and dh is starting college. OMG.
But I'm beyond excited for fall! Already planning Halloween over here, lol. Astoria is going to be a bee! Since her nickname is Beë, lol.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Meta-we have those same issues with livi getting overtired and making bedtime much more of an issue then it needs to be but I also dont really know how to solve it because sometimes I can't spend 45 mins getting her tonsleep at just the perfect moment for her :( we have our 1 month appointment tomorrow I'm so curious about how much weight she's gained. My fist was so slow to grow and it seemed like she was in newborn forever and Livis outgrown most newborn items already! She had such a nice happy awake time this morning playing with her sister it was so sweet. 'My 3 year old just loves her baby sister so much it's the best part!

·
Registered
486 Posts
It's crazy that we are all thinking about back to school matters...this summer feels so short. I still have almost 4 weeks before class starts again and I'm feeling better about the few hours a week I'll be gone. Little piggy is doing great with nursing--he had gained almost 2 ounces a day last week, when all the pediatrician needed him to gain was 1/2 to 1 oz a day. So now I don't have to wake him up at night to eat anymore, yay! @serafina, thanks for spreading the word about how awesome side-lying nursing at night is. It's all we've done for the past several nights and I am getting so much sleep! I am staying in bed longer to make up for the many times I wake up, and I'm having some crazy dreams about things happening to my nipples when he is nursing, but the sleep deprivation was my biggest fear with a newborn and I feel totally fine. Even though he nursed solidly from 2-9:30 am last night, I still got some sleep (and I guess he must have too? He seems fine today).

We spent a long time photographing him today so I'll have something better than cell phone pics to use for the birth announcements, and I think I got some good ones. I had to wait until his skin cleared up (it was just so dry and flaky!), but the olive oil every day really helped. Now I'm waiting for DH to get home with my parents, who are coming for the week. I'm so excited to see them and so glad I encouraged them to wait until now to come, now that I'm not crying all day long and have figured out a basic system for taking care of William. I feel like this will be a much more enjoyable trip now. Anyhow, Im glad you ladies are getting in some outdoor time and enjoying your last weeks of summer!

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Is a windy afternoon here, so much sand blowing all over. That means we'll have to collect things from across the fence in a couple days. I'm not volunteering to climb across barbed wire with a baby, so hubby will have to when he's of work. Ana's kiddie pool is gone somewhere. ...

Nathaniel was 8 lbs 15.5 oz Monday evening. He is 9 lbs 8 oz this afternoon. Piggy! He's averaged 1 oz a day prior to this growth spurt. No wonder I have wanted to eat ICE CREAM all week, speaking of diets. >:D

School here I'm not sure when. I usually start mid month, but they have family down for another week, then I'm guessing Dad will start cutting hay. Farm comes first. Then I think we can start. I got Ana some baby school books, letters, numbers, and a craft book. She always wants to be in the middle of things.

I need to either get something to eat or set this boy down and work on dishes and laundry. The never ending saga. Elijah took Ana next door to visit for a while, so if he sleeps, maybe I can fly and clean some of this mess up! How are you all managing, esp those without older kids helping?

·
Registered
547 Posts
Good luck with the flying! That sounds like a handful!

I did the side lying nursing and then sneak away once she's asleep trick today and Elizabeth stayed down by herself for over an hour! I did some chores and read for a bit but then came back and laid beside her because I missed her. I wanted some baby free time so badly but then when I got it I didn't know what to do with myself!

·
Registered
583 Posts
okay, all you wise mamas, i need some advise! how do i get Kaijani to sleep without being on or with me during the day (when we are not in bed together?) right now he gets so tired and will only stay asleep if i have him with me. tricks and advise please! i would love to be able to lay him down and think if he could settle, he would sleep longer. last night he was asleep in my arms and i put him down to go to the bathroom- and then there was laundry and then i decided to shower... he was with dh and he woke up and freaked big time. they were both shaken by it! he got to me and it was a fraction of a second before he was asleep again, in my arms.. he's 11 days today.
@mostlysunny, i look forward to hearing how your trip goes- good luck!
@BarefootBrooke, have a wonderful time with your parents! I am so glad to hear the emotions have quieted down for you!

K is a nursing champ too! he was born at 7# 10 ounces, lost to 7.6 and was up to 8 at 1 week. he is even bigger now so no doubt it has continued! hard to imagine 10 and 11 # being right around the corner @MPsSweetie, @Emanresu and @Metasequoia, your babies must be getting so biggggg!!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Those of you looking for sleeping tips, if you do the sneak away after nursing, try to note when that wake up happens and get back in the room to put a hand on baby's chest and head to comfort through that waking stage. Baby might be able to get back into a deeper sleep ands you can leave again.

My babies were okay in a bouncy seat while I showered because of the noise.

@Wild Rose - he is huge! 12 lbs 6oz as of Monday. That's up 4lbs since birth!

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
When I want some "no one on me" time I put baby in the double stroller with her sister and push them down the street and put my headphones in and make phone calls to the US to have long girl talk sessions with my mom or girlfriends, or I listen to my favorite podcasts like This American Life or Radiolab, just to get some "me time"-- plus exercise and no weight/sweaty tummy situation from wearing an over 11lb baby in warm weather. She'll wake up and want to nurse one or two times during this type of 4-5 hour excursion (I walk for fifteen minutes, get on the city bus, we ride for 25 minutes & toddler sings to herself and people watches, we get off and walk through the city center and eventually end up at a really large and elaborate playground, and we are there an hour or two, then begin the hour long process of heading home . At the end of it my feet are sore but not my back since I only need baby on me when she wants to eat, the rest of the time she's happy in her cot in the stroller because of movement and white noise of outdoor.
I guess that's why the swing and other electronic moving baby holders work, there's some noise so is not too quiet, and movement. Think about how much they were jostled in the womb and how LOUD it was (I promise, it's loud in there ), so of course to a newborn it's pretty weird to be in a quiet place, totally still, so if they wake up in such a situation they may freak out. Just not accustomed to it. Being worn is the closest to being in the womb because of mom's breathing and other noises, (and smell and touch that baby gets quickly used to ),& especially the pattern of movement when you're walking, that's very womblike. But being pushed in the carriage is a nice option when the front of your shirt is soaked with sweat and you need to air out a bit for awhile but are still available for pushing. Plus the walking is a great way to start getting physical stamina back, good exercise for postpartum!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
@Wild Rose ~ Iselin is on me most of the time. The only time I can sneak away is early in the morning when she's still sleeping in our nest (bed.) If she wakes a little, I can gently pat her back and she'll settle. She spends a fair amount of time with my mom here, too. DH can also settle her and she'll sleep on him, but none of this sleeping is happening alone. I took the kiddos to the zoo on Friday and Iselin slept a bit in the stroller, but we were pretty constantly moving so I'm not sure she'd sleep in say, a cradle. But I've had babies sleep in a battery-operated swing for hours before...but I no longer have one.

Iselin is also a piggy! 10 lbs, 2 oz at 2 weeks, up from 8 lbs, 10 oz at birth. I weighed her yesterday at 26 days and she was 11 lbs, 6 oz (not a baby scale, so probably not terribly accurate.) She doesn't look insanely chunky because she's so long!

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Iselin is also a piggy! 10 lbs, 2 oz at 2 weeks, up from 8 lbs, 10 oz at birth. I weighed her yesterday at 26 days and she was 11 lbs, 6 oz (not a baby scale, so probably not terribly accurate.) She doesn't look insanely chunky because she's so long!
Dexter does not look chunky either. He's pretty long too, maybe 24" at this point? His head is tiny too, which helps him not look so big.

·
Registered
2,163 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I advise first time moms to get more practiced with wearing your babe now before they are very heavy! That way as they grow, so does your strength and stamina as your carry them, so when they are 20lb this winter, you're able to throw kiddo on your back in a soft structured carrier like a Tula/Boba/Ergo/Manduca and get stuff done around the house or on the go, and silence fussing situations. Also getting handy with nursing baby while wearing them is priceless. At some point it will come in very handy that you can have one hand free and be mobile up on your feet to do other things you really want or need to do even when your kiddo really wants or needs to nurse.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I wear baby a lot but so far I cannot figure out nursing in the carriers for the life of me! I've tried a stretchy wrap, a woven wrap, and a ring sling. The videos make nursing in a ring sling look so easy so I don't know why the two of us can't figure it out!

But I love walking with baby in a carrier, so nice and snuggly!

·
Registered
583 Posts
Okay, i love hearing all of this! I know Kai is only 12 days now and so I have no need to be too caring about all of this but I do want to be more mobile and it really seems like he can tell! He gets really clingy (if this makes any sense for such a youngun!). Like startling easily and reaching out for me. I adore him and am happy to be wearing him but it does seem like he gets too hot and sleeps better when he can stretch out. Compromises! I went on a walk yesterday, shortened but still it was nice to move and get outside. It is really good to hear that all of us are either wearing babies, having shortened bed naps or using a stroller. The only infant stroller we have right now is the one that the car seat clicks into- i haven't taken it out but maybe I should. i kinda hate the car seat. He seams fine with it as long as the car is moving.

1 - 20 of 80 Posts