Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How is the summer going, ladies? Have you had an easier time reaching your goals, harder? Hanging in there?

We have reached the zenith of summer, so our check-ins might be even more irregular, and that is ok. This thread is to help you keep sight of your goals and not meant to pressure you to reach them in any time frame nor under any one else's weight loss methods.

We all have a pretty good idea what works best for us. What we need is some support to help us stick to it.

So, weigh in when you like, as often as you like and track your progress (or lack of) with us. You will find plenty of support and, yes, plenty of commiseration.

Hope the summer is treating us well in our lives!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I start this month at 133, same as last month.

I haven't done my yoga in a week, having been out of town, so I am looking forward to today. This summer is making it harder to keep on the downward track. But I have been holding steady and (I weigh every day nearly) my averages have crept down about a pound or so. I'm not seeing 134 anymore, and more regularly see 131. At 5'2" (156 cm), that weight still sits heavily on me.

Why I weigh most every day: because I see the normal weight fluctuations and I have learned to not sweat the little weight "gains". It is in that way I see that although my starting weight this month is the same, I have actually lost a small amount. It also gives me a clue when I am in danger of seeing a gain that sticks (a daily average weight that starts staying near the top and might even be a tiny bit over.) I don't weigh myself the day after an indulgence. Weighing everyday (checking in here weekly) I think has helped me be mindful.

This is what has worked for me and maybe weighing every day seems obsessive to you (it is, a bit) and more worrisome. But if you haven't tried it and are looking for something else that might help you on your weight loss goals, give it a go.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
definitely need to carry on stepping on the scale once a week ...
am having a hardder time this summer with food and weight ...

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
am starting (...again !) on 4 weeks with no added sugar and definite separation of fats and carbs (Harcombe style) with a bit for 5:2 thrown in whenever i feel like it may work.

today i had no breakfast, just a late cup of caffein free red rooibos tea
lunch was 2 tinned sardines mashed with a tea spoon of fromage frais and 6 olives plus a very generous mixed salad (apple cider vinegar and mustard dressing with some sunflower oil from the tin of sardines)
dinner will be a "no fat" but carby dinner; 1/4 cup oatmeal soaked in water with chia seeds and goji berries + i'll add 0% fat yogurt or fromage frais at the last minute plus a green smoothie made of defrosted berries + parsley + fresh spinach leaves ... if i can "just eat that" and nothing else, i shouldn't be hungry & am hoping to sleep early (and NOT eat during half of the night ..)

now, starting weight is 64.1 kg, that is 141.31 lb

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh, my.... two weeks of eating out too much, not enough yoga and no time for walks is starting to show. First I felt it in my waistline, though it didn't register on the scale, now I am seeing it. Thankfully (?) I seem to be regaining a little equilibrium in my discipline for not overeating too terribly much. Looking forward to some time at home, but next week looks almost as busy as this one, but this time things like doctors appointments and a zoo trip and a possible overnight at a friend's house an hour away and then work and gotta visit my sisters before August ends and oh my god my house, my house, my house, and my body is suffering.

135. Ack! I haven't seen that in weeks and weeks, but I suppose it could be far worse. Looking forward to that sweet time of year when it is still light enough for evening walks, the heat doesn't melt you after a handful of outdoor chores and a little lighter schedules (for us homeschoolers anyway. I am almost done with my residential cleaning work, and my extra hours at the shop are finished. Is it time to exhale yet? Not yet.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
have been walking more .... but still slept badly and over eating at night ... so wondering how i'll fare for my next weigh in !
tomorrow am likely to go on a whole day hike ....pbm is that i'm worried i'll be hungry during the hike and probably taking along far too much to eat LOL
was officially measured at the doctor's office, have shrunk a bit, am now 1m55 (used to be 1m56 and a half !!!) ... still need to get back to under 60 kg (132.27 lb) in any case ....

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
week 1 : 64.1 kg = 141.31 lb
week 2 : 63.3 kg = 139.55 lb

have also started doing 30 deep knee squats when waking up
(started last Tuesday at the doctor's office when i went to get my medical forms filled in for my sports activities registration in September .... was a bit tired when i got to 26, 27, 28, 29, 30 .... but hey, if i can do 30 at the doctor's office, i can do 30 at home too !!!!! i had read an article somewhere a few weeks back which suggested to do that type of exercice ... to reduce wing bats on upper arm, the logics being that the buttocks and thighs are the larget muscle group of the body etc ...)
this will be my own "30 days challenge" for the month
& next month, i may try to other challenge that starts with 30 deep knee squats & then you add 10 every day at first, with every 5th day being a rest, & towards the end, of the month, you add less every day and have more days of rest ... but end up doing 200 plus per day ....

yesterday's hike went very well, i didn't over-eat during the hike ... but should have gone to bed earlier than i did (& i would have eaten far less at night too !!!)

am now trying to find some other hiking companions for next week end (yesterday's hicking buddy is going on holiday)
because i need some more exercise to get back to under 60 then 57 then 54 kg (ultimate goal for now !)

didn't get up in time today but will resume very early 1 hours walks tomorrow
(started last Friday to make sure my new hiking boots would be all right on Sunday ....)

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Phew-- back down to 133. I did have many days at 134, but I'm creeping down.

I accidentally had a sugar-free day yesterday (how does that happen??? That never happens *accidentally* and very rarely on purpose!) So I'm going for it again today. I think I need to take a caffeine break to, for other reasons. But, I *accidentally* started making my coffee, so I'm not starting that today!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
didn't manage to resume the 1 hour early morning walks for all of last week, hoping to make it this coming week though .....
didn't quite manage to be sugar free either ....
still school holidays over here, so keeping different ages kids busy and not bickering .... is taking its toll on my resolve around food !!!! (compensating fluctuating emotions with food is ... so practical !)
haven't gone back on the scale since last Monday but i suppose i put it all back on ... we'll see how things are going in another 24 hours !!!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
(compensating fluctuating emotions with food is ... so practical!)
No doubt. Yesterday was *intense* and my day without sugar suddenly tanked and I suddenly had a massive craving for a candy bar, which went with a bag of chips and I felt pretty blech after that, especially the chips wound up tasting like a salt delivery vehicle. They were awful. Hang in there!

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
week 3 : 63.5 kg = 139.99 lb

tried a new eating routine since yesterday Monday .... not easy to juggle all my roles with hardly any "me-time" during the school holidays AND tackle the excess in my usual "not so good for my weigh"t coping mechanisms ....
hoping this is going to be a help rather than a drain !!!

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
131. Finally seeing some movement. I've been prioritizing walks recently, that has helped, and I've gotten a handle on the endless cravings.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
good for you for the cravings !
( a bit of a downfall for me these days ...)

hoping to go for a half day hike tomorrow morning ....
AND hoping to make it a monthly event too !

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
went on a half day hike with a 500 meters ascension ... it was nearly harder to walk down in fact !!!
now, have only had a small snack, hoping to get to the cinema by food in spite of the rain/storm
SO AS not to spend all evening eating (in view of tomorrow weigh in ....)

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Isa, what strategies do you try to keep yourself from eating in the evening and at night? It seems like this is your biggest (?) battle, and I know personally that *when* I can be more disciplined at those times, it has a huge impact on both controlling cravings during the day, and eventually at the scale. I don't have difficulty not eating at night, but evenings I know my body does better with less and I'm not good at keeping that in check. I'm not great at "strategies" either, but some weeks it seems easier than others to not keep from eating when I don't really need to.

I haven't checked the scale for a couple of days. I know I'm hovering just a mite higher than my last posted weight.

·
Registered
2,800 Posts
week 3 : 63.5 kg = 139.99 lb
week 4 : 63.2 kg = 139.33 lb

SweetSilver .... my strategies are too hard to implement in time of stress (various sources ...) ; ideally it's a mix of not TV and no knitting in the evening, no computer, no phone calls either, and to take some sort of pill to get me drowsy (lately an anti-histaminic pill prescribed by my doctor, on the ground that "it's not habit forming") ..... but .... there's often "one more thing i want to do/check on the computer/ plan for the next day or next few days ..." and i get carried away, and it gets way past reasonnable bedtime & and then i get hungry and angry with myself for not being able to fall asleep "like everyone else" and then i soothe myself with various activities (crochet, mindless reading on the internet ....)
hopped on the scale on Tuesday .... but had a few bad nights since
am hoping to go again on a half day hike tomorrow
+ have guests coming for Sat. evening so hoping to be able to concentrate on tidying up and cleaning a bit.
right now, am on denial about the washing machine that seemed faulty by the end of the load 2 days ago, was away most of the day yesterday (took youngest child to a place where you walk between trees, meeting up with a school friend who's moved moved away 30 km, the mom had VERY pleasant and interesting conversation, so a long day but pleasant "break from routine" .....) so didn't do a load yesterday ... will have to see to it today
am now battlling with eldest child (her fith deadline of the summer for writing/printing and getting a 5 pages report ready for school ?????) which emotionnally drains me .... managed to rouse 2cd child and get him to wash/get dressed/ get his bus pass and hop on a bus to go to the decent hairdresser we found last year ....
am supposed to start packing to get 3rd child to a pool early afternoon ... also need to do some little sewing, pack it tightly in an large enveloppe and get it at the post office on our way to the bus stop early afternoon ....
school only resume next week (one child on Tuesday, one on Wedn., one on Th.) and my difficulties concentrating to get things done, .... only magnified by end of summer burn out ....
am in the process of sowing wheat grains again so as to have another pleasant sustainable decorative something for indoor... i chucked out all indoor plants when the eldest ones were toddler but got myself a cheap decorative pot cover in the sales in July and am now happy to find something i can cope with in terms of indoor planting, even if it is on a very small scale.... i have 2 pots, it's just a question of remembering to sow every 3 weeks or so in order to have something fresh looking continuously ..

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
My averages have been going up. I hit 134 today :( but the scale isn't telling the whole story. I've added a 15-ish minute run to every day, on top of my yoga (appr. 1 hour) about 4-5 days per week, and a 1.5- 2hr walk 2-3 times per week. Yesterday I did all three, quite the indulgence. Aaaaaand.... it makes me hungry, and I need to watch out for that. So far what the scale says and what my pants say are two different things, but I can't ignore the scale entirely. I need to be mindful that more exercise is not an invitation to eat all I want to eat. Yes, I need more fuel, but it's far too easy to get out of hand.

It's nice with all this extra exercise, come Sundays at work I feel so much better. My work is physical and my energy has been flagging.

·
Registered
3,080 Posts
It's Monday - time to weigh in! 256.2 pounds. I have gained nearly 20 this year. All the weight I lost breastfeeding I have gained back. I have started meeting in person with a friend of mine locally. My goals for thir week Write down what I eat, eat vegetables, and take 30 minute walk each day. What are your weightloss goals?

Reactions: SweetSilver

·
Registered
6,272 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Welcome back lilacvioletiris!!! Frustrating about the weight gain, but it's good to see you back here. Your goals sound very reasonable and I hope you'll see the scale moving in the other direction soon.

My weight loss goals? I'd like to see the scale budge again, but I'm making progress in general fitness. Maybe if I stop eating apple fritters for dinner at work. Hmmm.... maybe?? I could use more veggies as well. I'd like at least another 10 pounds off, and I'll see how I'm doing. First I would settle for just one pound under anything I've hit recently. Just one pound. It's been that long.

This morning 131.5

1 - 20 of 33 Posts