Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am moving to Augusta Georgia in a couple weeks. My dh is in the military and will be there for training for 5 months. I have been looking at rentals on Tobacco Rd. Does anyone know whether this is a good area to live? Are there any mamas in the Agusta area that want to get together for playdates? I have 2 girls, ages 2 years and 2 months.

Thanks!
Jennifer

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Jennifer,

My husband was raised in Augusta and his mother still lives near where you're talking about. This is what he had to say about Tobacco Road:

There are nice areas that are cheap and there are areas little changed from when Erskine Caldwell wrote about it some 80 years ago (It is indeed THAT Tobacco Road). Schools are honestly pretty dreadful. Unless you can find an area zoned marginally for ARC or Hepzibah, your kids get into Davidson [the fine-arts middle and high school, which is free, but requires audition in each of the arts areas], or you send them private schools, the schools are seriously pretty bad. It's Southside, and as such is both expanding rapidly and pretty rundown. Outside of town going farther Southeast or Southwest, it's beautiful rural country.

I wish that was a more solid endorsement, but it is just one man's opinion! His mom lives in "Old Town," which is the Broad Street district. It is also in the midst of improving, so there are some really cute houses where families live and some split-up houses where drugs are a problem. Hence it is pretty affordable.

Best of luck!

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply and thanks to your dh for sharing his knowledge.

Luckily, we won't have to worry about schools while we are there, but the drug house issue is huge. I think we will take our time in finding a place rather than rushing as I had originally intended.

Thanks again,
Jennifer

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey, i grew up in augusta, am in atlanta now; tobacco road area is not the best; i would recommend columbia county where the schools are better--lakeside and greenbriar schools are pretty good; augusta prep is the private school; if you live in richmond county, check out homes "on the hill"--central ave. area near augusta state university or in the wheeler road/walton way area; if in richmond county, davidson fine arts school is really, really good; there are lots of decent apts in these areas too and fort gordon is so close by--even if you lived in columbia county, it would only be about a 20 minute drive or so to FG.....let me know if you have any more questions....

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
hey, we're moving there in Dec/Jan!! Glad to hear there's decent places to live really close to post. We really want to be closeby this time, if possible. I used to live in Martinez from 89-93 and went to Augusta Christian. So it'll be fun to move back and see if I remember anything! I'll have to check back here and hook up w/ some MDC mamas!! (if you're still around)

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
ryder, that is really cool!!! We were there from 89-93. Dennis was 11-12th, Kristin was 7-10th, and I was 5-8th grades. The Cox kids.
I wonder when you were there or if you knew our friends?? Maybe we'll have to PM each other. We'll have to get together when I move!

That's great to hear there's good LLL and API groups. I haven't ever been to API though. I'll have to check it out. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by manzanitamomma
HI!

Unfortunately, we are leaving the area in November, so we will miss you. But, check out the local LLL and API meetings.They have a bunch of great women involved.
Awww, that is too bad that you are leaving! It was good to meet you though, good luck at your next post

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Ok we are really moving to Augusta! We are visiting family in AL right now but we went house-hunting last week, and that was interesting.... Not sure what we're going to do or where we're going to live, so we'll see what happens.

I've been looking into the birth scene and it seems pretty grim. I'm hoping to find other homebirthers in the area... I'm not planning to have another baby right now, but if it were to happen, I want to know my options and how to work the system! haha!

Any advice for getting around the vax laws?? My kids aren't vaxed and I hate to do it just so they can be involved in community programs (sports, etc).

Guess I need my own thread!! PM me if you want to get together!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts