Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://scienceoveracuppa.com/2013/03/03/vaccines-autism-epidemiology-a-call-for-better-science/

From a few years ago, but this article raises some good points.

There is a dearth of good science addressing whether vaccinations play some role in the etiology of cases of autism. Severe autoimmune reactions following vaccination are noted in the literature (see Guillame-Barré syndrome following influenza vaccination, for instance) and so it is clear that inoculations are not necessarily innocuous but designed to promote an immune reaction. In short, it’s why they’re successful as vaccines. But for as much public attention as this debate has drawn, it hasn’t drawn the right kinds of scientific attention, that truly in-depth unbiased analysis which hard questions like this seem to require.
wanted to add that Mirzam found the article linked above, started a thread about it awhile back, but the concerns raised were just brushed away by certain members here and no real discussion ever occurred. It seemed to me to be worthy of another round, but because the original thread was so old I just started a new one.

Especially in light of this round-up of information on auto-immune issues playing a role in autism http://thinkingmomsrevolution.com/autism-immune-system/

Neuroinflammation: “Some individuals with ASD demonstrate active inflammation in the CNS. Post-mortem brain and spinal cord samples from 11 individuals with ASD showed increased activation of astroglia and microglia; and increased levels of cytokines MCP-1 and TGF-β compared to control specimens. A more recent study of post-mortem brain tissues by Li et al further demonstrated CNS inflammation in persons with ASD . . . . Specimens from persons with ASD demonstrated a significant increase in pro-inflammatory and Th1 cytokines . . . .”
The article is quoting from this:
There’s a great paper from 2011 called, “The Immune System’s Role in the Biology of Autism” by Paula Goines and Judy Van de Water of UC Davis.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I am not waiting for the studies. Once we know was the cause or causes of autism are, then we will know what does not cause it.

Sus

Reactions: kathymuggle

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
I am not waiting for the studies. Once we know was the cause or causes of autism are, then we will know what does not cause it.

Sus
Yeah, I mostly agree.

I like to use SIDS as an example. SIDS rates have dropped quite a bit since back to sleep campaigns have begun.

If they find a smoking gun, eliminate it, and real rates drop....then I will believe.

So many studies turn out to be duds in one way or another that they mean very little to me...results do.

·
Registered
8,851 Posts
My brother-in-law, father of two autist children, has auto-immune issues. It would not surprise me at all of auto-immunity plays a part in ASD, although I could be wrong.

Reactions: applejuice

·
Registered
18,831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My brother-in-law, father of two autist children, has auto-immune issues. It would not surprise me at all of auto-immunity plays a part in ASD, although I could be wrong.
If anyone was paying attention, the children of people with auto-immune diseases would not be getting vaxed at all, or else would receive very few vaccines, widely spread out and carefully monitored.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts