Mothering Forum banner

Autism Symptoms Reversed in Lab (on Mice)

382 Views 12 Replies 8 Participants Last post by  Finch
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/6245742.stm

"Symptoms of mental retardation and autism have been reversed for the first time in laboratory mice.

US scientists created mice that showed symptoms of Fragile X Syndrome - a leading cause of mental retardation and autism in humans.

They then reversed symptoms of the condition by inhibiting the action of an enzyme in the brain."
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by BelgianSheepDog View Post
Mice get autism?????
if you give them enough vaccines or ultra sounds.... i jest i jest.

but really....
See less See more
I keep thinking of Flowers for Algernon. That didn't end well for poor Earnest Borgnine.
Quote:

Originally Posted by kama'aina mama View Post
I keep thinking of Flowers for Algernon. That didn't end well for poor Earnest Borgnine.
great book.... horrible movie.
See less See more
How would you even tell a mouse is autistic? It's awkward around other mice and has an encyclopedic knowledge of cheese types??
I had an autistic hamster. He lived alone, ran on a wheel, liked to chew things, was uncomfortable being groped, and didn't talk. We got along very well.
Quote:

Originally Posted by Brigianna View Post
I had an autistic hamster. He lived alone, ran on a wheel, liked to chew things, was uncomfortable being groped, and didn't talk. We got along very well.
I chuckled
See less See more
Quote:

How would you even tell a mouse is autistic? It's awkward around other mice and has an encyclopedic knowledge of cheese types??
You really made me laugh!
See less See more
Quote:

See less See more
Quote:

OK... the title of the BBC article and my post was misleading. They've created Fragile X syndrome in mice and then reversed it. Fragile X is associated with autism.
See less See more
Fragile X Syndrome is considered an ASC, although many people disagree with that.

But why does every ASC article have to be so negative, even if it's about mice? Autistic movements are not purposeless. They are purposeful to us. What about jogging? That's not purposeless movement?
Quote:

LMFAO
:
See less See more
1 - 13 of 13 Posts