Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi
Anyone have an autistic child that talked late? My son is easy going, social with adults, and very affectionate. He has started to understand a lot of what I say, but refuses to talk. He babbles a lot (happy babbling and unhappy babbling). I was able to get him to say "book" (very reluctantly) many months ago, but he stopped doing it when he started school/therapy and I had less time to read to him. His therapist said that he said "up" the other day in response to wanting her to pick him up. Anyway, he just turned 4 and isn't talking at all. He's doing really well with his aba and using some pecs/pictures to ask for milk or yogurt.
Would love to hear stories/advice from mom's of late talking autistic children.
Thanks a lot,
Linda

·
Registered
832 Posts
My boy is just a bit over 3. He doesn't really have much functional language, but he has a pretty good vocabulary - meaning he can say the names of lots of animals, food, body parts, toys. This all came about because of some sign language videos - particularly Baby See 'n Sign. Not sure why this sparked something in him but his vocabulary went from 5 words to over 50 in about a week, and the second video probably doubled that.

Also, there is a book called More than Words put out by the Hanen Center that is about getting autistic kids to communicate. It's pricey but I see it occasionally on ebay and other used sites.

good luck!

·
Registered
281 Posts
My daughter turned 3 in August. She had 5 words at 10 months and by 12 months had lost them all and never said another until just recently. She is now saying single words echoing us as well as spontaneously. She signs and uses a PECS book as well.
It's wonderful to hear her voice saying words but we are a LONG way off from having conversations!

·
Registered
2,212 Posts
I don't recall exactly when ds started talking, but I will say, once he started, it seemed to happen all at once. He went from only 2-3 words to learning a new word every day. His progress has all been like that, for over 3 yrs now (5 yrs old, dx at 22 mos). Nothing....nothing...nothing....BAM, lots of stuff! He's been stalled at single words for a long time now, and all of a sudden, sentences are popping up " I want ___ please" "I like ___" "Let's go inside/outside"

I know you can't wait to hear that sweet little voice saying real words, but understanding what you say and babbling are such good starts! (my ds still babbles a lot, even at 5) He'll get there when he's ready mama, and probably surprise you in the process.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you all for your encouraging replies and advice!!!
I forgot to mention that I have a 22 month old son who has started talking. I'm hoping that when he goes through his language explosion (knock on wood) that it will help his brother to talk.
Late talking (without autism) runs on my husband's side of the family too. So, my poor little guy has more than one reason to be late with his talking. He has been happily babbling this weekend and playing with his shape sorter and obeying many of my commands. He is using Pecs and leading us to what he wants, or bringing us what he wants. I just needed a little reassurance. Thank you for your replies.
Linda
And I will look for that book too.

·
Registered
9,186 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaye View Post
My boy is just a bit over 3. He doesn't really have much functional language, but he has a pretty good vocabulary - meaning he can say the names of lots of animals, food, body parts, toys. !
This is my son to a "t," except he is going to be 3 in January. He's just now starting to use functional 2 word phrases like "want down," "want cat (stuffed cat he loves)."

·
Registered
81 Posts
My son is 2 years 8 months, and has many tacts. He now knows 50 signs and has about 25 prompted word approximations. He babbles a lot. We had a consultation with an 'oral motor guru' and she thinks his lack of functional speech is related to sensory issues and weak muscle tone. I blew off the sensory stuff back in February, but this lady comes REALLY HIGHLY recommended, so we are trying her protocol.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.