Mothering Forum banner

Avoid Certain Foods During Pregnancy?

701 Views 11 Replies 6 Participants Last post by  snuffles
I am currently trying to get pregnant, and I've already had a pre-pregnancy check-up with my doctor. I just realized, however, that I forgot to ask a VERY important question. My husband has Celiac Disease, so he can't eat wheat gluten, and now I'm wondering if I should go on a gluten-free diet myself. Our child definitely could end up with Celiac Disease, and I'm wondering if cutting out gluten could lessen the chances of that. I'd go ahead and start right away, but I'm also worried that eliminating a food could make our child MORE likely to develop a food allergy. If our child isn't going to develop Celiac Disease, and I eliminate wheat, am I by any chance encouraging an intolerance to wheat? I'd appreciate any advice you could give!
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
I don't think you can totally prevent celiac disease by avoiding gluten during pregnancy. But as for your other question, it's exactly the opposite. By avoiding wheat, you're less likely to have a wheat allergic child. Food intollerances are usually worsened by increased exposure (actually, this is true of all allergies, which is why seasonal allergies usually get worse as you get older, or bee stings can become fatal after an initial reaction). I know that there are some folks here avoiding things while pregnant and nursing because they don't want the babes to have allergies that parents or sibblings have. I've started rotating wheat hoping to avoid an allergy in the little one. Wheat and dairy are the most common dietary allergens, mostly because they're so common in our diets now. So if you're worried that cutting wheat out of your diet will harm the baby, don't worry about it. Most likely you'll decrease his/her chances of an allergy to it.
I just called my doctor, and she (well, the nurse) said that there was nothing I could do about preventing Celiac Disease and that it didn't matter at all what I eat. I have a hard time believing this. Does anyone know of a good book that discusses food allergies and pregnancy? I haven't been able to find anything, and I think I need to educate myself more about this. I'm starting to worry that I can't really trust my doctor.
Thanks for your reply! What you're saying about allergies makes a lot of sense. I just talked to my husband, though, and he reminded me that Celiac Disease isn't an allergy; it's an immune disorder. So, maybe there is nothing I can do after all.
See less See more
yes, I was pretty sure that celiac was different than a standard allergy, though all allergies are an immune system problem. Best of luck. My niece has celiac disease, it's annoying, but she's a healthy girl now that they know what's wrong.
There's one thing that always confuses me about this that hopefully someone can answer. Since we avoid/delay certain foods to prevent allergy, why do they say that early exposure to pets *prevents* allergies to animals? Wouldn't that mean that early exposure to grasses would prevent hay fever?

Thanks for any explanation!

Truvie
I think the answer there is that the oversterilization of our environments has led to an increase in allergies. Allergies ARE an immune reaction, and the theory is that if the immune system doesn't develop properly because of a lack of stimuli, it will overreact when it does come in contact with something it doesn't like. People without pets who supper clean their houses are actually putting their kids at a disadvantage because they don't come in contact with tons of rather harmless bacteria that teach the body how to respond to a foreign agent. My mother was a prime example of this, no pets, no carpet, very clean. While it's not in the baby's best interest to live in filth, cleaning and sterilizing their room twice weekly also isn't good for them. I purposely got 2 pets knowing this was the best scenario for the baby.

It's very strange that they haven't realized that vaxes probably are also partly to blame for the increase, because the immune system doesn't develop properly when exposed only to modified and dead agents.

I used to work for an allergist in case you're wondering.
See less See more
Thanks for the answer! This is interesting because my husband grew up with a neat freak mom (and no pets) and he and his siblings have SEVERE respiratory allergies.

We have pets and livestock, and I like to think that the time my toddler has spent playing with sheep poop has been somehow beneficial

Truvie
See less See more
Heres the thing on Celiac Disease. A couple of things have to happen in order for someone to have active CD.
1. You must have a genetic trigger
2. The trigger must be triggered (by a trauma like surgery, stress, illness, etc)

I'm recently diagnosed at age 28, and from what i've read, i can't do gluten while pregnant because it give me like a 21-25% higher chance of miscarriage, also tends to cause low birth weight.
Hello,

My 2 yr old dd was recently diagnosed with celiac disease. I am also 30 weeks pregnant and stopped eating gluten when we found out about my 2 yr old. I have Danna Korn's book "Kids with Celiac Disease" and she says that if Celiac disease is in the family, you should avoid gluten during breastfeeding for the first year. I have read in some places that the same goes for pregnancy. I want to do everything I can to lessen the likelihood of my next child developing celiac disease, and I figure avoiding gluten can't hurt.

Mel
Mel - but does avoiding gluten keep the disease from developing, or do you avoid gluten because if the child has celiac disease, the gluten would cause problems for them?
From what I have read, I *think* it helps keep the disease from developing. You are asking the wrong person-- LOL I don't know much about it yet.

Mel
1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.