Mothering Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p> </p>
<p>We are starting to TTC for our second baby.  With my first pregnancy, I had high blood pressure and was admitted to the hospital for a week before my baby was born and eventually induced at 38 weeks because of this. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Obviously, this was not what I planned but there was a legitimate concern.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>My mother also dealt with this same problem for her pregnancies, so I am worried that it will likely happen to me again. When I am not preg. I have regular blood pressure.</p>
<p> </p>
<p><strong>Does anyone know of something natural that may help prevent this????</strong>  I would love to get the opputunity to go into labour naturally and have a different birth than last time.  If there was something safe I could take to help prevent the high blood pressure, I would. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Thanks</p>
<p>Lora</p>

·
Registered
514 Posts
<p>As someone who was preeclamptic in pregnancy 1, on antihypertensives in pregnancy 2 (but never diagnosed preeclamptic), and has done a ton of research and talking to experts...</p>
<p> </p>
<p>(I also have chronic hypertension.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Please be wary of natural remedies. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>The best thing you can do is be active and watch sodium intake.  There is some evidence that Vitamin D supplements during the winter months can possibly prevent preeclampsia.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I would go over to <a href="http://www.preeclampsia.org" target="_blank">www.preeclampsia.org</a> and look around and get information there, too.</p>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks<br><br>
I will definitely be extremely cautious of remedies during pregnancy. Limiting sodium are<br>
Not magic cures but helpful suggestions.<br><br>
Thanks

·
Registered
514 Posts
<p>Yeah - sorry to be kind of a downer, and I wrote that post really quickly!</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There are a lot of suggested possibilities, including magnesium and LOADS of protein.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If you're not getting enough magnesium, that's a definite thing to look into (if you want some info, I can find a link somewhere that is actually to a government site - nothing kooky or anythign :))</p>
<p> </p>
<p>The loads of protein, though, can actually backfire.  The theory is that a pregnant woman needs protein as her blood volume increases so that her blood albumin is adequate.  However, lots of protein can stress your kidneys and actually lead to problems you're trying to prevent.  I'm very wary of the high protein stuff, and doubly so because I have underlying kidney problems.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>There's no magic bullet.  Oh how I wish there were!  But you might discuss whether antihypertensives might be an option for you if you go down that road again in a second pregnancy?</p>

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Feel free to send me that govt site<br><br>
I guess it's a no win, if I had to do it over I would probably<br>
Pick 38 weeks inducement over having to take<br>
Pills for the whole preg<br><br>
I will try to be informed as possible this time before<br>
It starts in hopes of it not starting or at least not<br>
Starting till later<br>
Last time I went to my bros wedding a 18 hour drive away at<br>
6 months and that got it going I think<br><br>
Sorry, typing on my phone and it has a mind of it's own!!

·
Registered
1,641 Posts
<p>Here's what I've found helped mine:</p>
<p>~Salt to taste</p>
<p>~Good amount of lean protein and fruit/veggies.</p>
<p>~ Calcium/magnesium citrate</p>
<p>~Garlic</p>
<p>~ Fish oils</p>
<p>~Moderate exercise</p>

·
Registered
514 Posts
<p>Found it!  <a href="http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/magnesium/" target="_blank">It's from NIH.</a> </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I didn't take antihypertensives at all in my first pregnancy.  My second, I went in already on them and my doctors tried to take me off (blood pressure tends to drop in the first have of pregnancy).  So, you maybe well not need them until the very end.  I would talk to your OB, maybe even contact an MFM just for a consult.</p>

·
Registered
1,848 Posts
<p>Another option for higher bp in late pregnancy is dandelion. How high was your bp? It is natural for bp to rise some the end of pregnancy.</p>

·
Premium Member
2,748 Posts
I've done a lot better this pregnancy at controlling my BP. I'm actually down 20+ points from the first trimester. Try EFT, emotional freedom technique, you can search you tube for videos on lowering blood pressure with EFT. I also take cell salts now (Bioplasma) to keep my minerals at healthier levels. In addition to some things I did last pregnancy, staying very hydrated via mineral water or coconut water, good protein, reduce sodium, calcium/magnesium citrate liquid supplement.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts