Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi There. I am looking for a new pediatrician. Does anyone have any recommendations? At this time, I am a delaying all vaccinations and possibly never doing so. So I would like to find a Dr. that is open-minded, etc.

I live in the East Valley but am willing to travel.

Thank You!!!

Jodi

·
Registered
6,401 Posts
Hey, we are looking for a pediatrician too! Let me know please if you find anything out
We have a friend who doesn't vax (we don't either) and we need to find out from her where she takes her kids. I will let you know when I find out!

·
Registered
1,235 Posts
nak
Dr. Rajeev Agarwal in Phoenix - he is speaking at La Leche League of AZ's conference in Sept.
or
I go to see Dr. Allen at www.evpeds.com and we selectively vax (dd 2yo+ hasn't had any thus far) and after I told her we weren't doing vax she has never mentioned it again (she did have me sign a waiver, i think)

·
Registered
151 Posts
I am pleased with Dr. Charles Martin from Southwestern Pediatrics in Chandler. We are uncertain of the vax situation, aren't currently doing any. He does ask that you sign a waiver, but what can you expect it is our choice and they have to protect themselves and their medical license. He is very open minded and supportive. He is also willing to spend time with each patient. The office could use a make-over, but I guess it's about the doctor. (Still hoping they update the furniture soon.)

·
Registered
289 Posts
FYI--you can research doctors at www.azmd.gov There isn't tons of info but it's better than nothing. According to this website, Dr. Charles Martin has had drug problems in the past. I"m sure he's a nice man but hummm, makes me nervous.

We are still looking for a new ped but I've heard really good things about Dr. Sudha at Gateway Peds (near Chandler Regional). They have IBCLC on staff but are really into giving all vax.

Good luck everyone, k

·
Registered
4,654 Posts
We were seeing Dr. Stephanie Workman at Mesa Pediatrics but she recently finished her degree in homeopathy and has opened her own practice. She is a MD but is no longer doing pediatrics but if you need a homeopath, I can't say enough good things about her. She didn't agree with our decision to non vax but didn't pressure me - just had me sign a waiver. She was TOTALLY fine with cosleeping, extended nursing etc...

When I found out Dr. Workman wasn't going to be returning to the practice and wasn't going to be doing pediatrics any longer, I asked her for a recommendation. She recommended Dr. Susan Weaver-Woodard who is in the same practice. I've never met Dr. Woodard, however, Dr. Workman says she has very similiar views. She did say that Dr. Woodard believes in vaxing but that she would respect our decision. Per Dr. Workman, Dr. Woodard ahs a very alternative medicine/conservative approach. The problem is that Dr. Woodard has been on leave for quite a long time. She's supposed to have been back this month, however, they pushed it back another month and even then they aren't quite sure exactly when it will be. When she returns, however, I will probably be scheduling appointment with her but my understanding is that she'll be part time.
http://www.mesapeds.com/Physicians%2...yout=MESAPEDS&

In the meantime, I went to see Dr. Ruth Tan Lim at Dobson Pediatrics who was recommeded by this board. She is also schooled in alternative medicine and is fine with non vaxing. We had one appt with her and she was fine but her staff is very inefficient. I did feel fairly rushed with her and felt as though she didn't really listen but, in her defense, she had injured her foot at lunch and our appt was right after lunch and I could tell she was pretty uncomfortable. I don't know that I would return - she's sort of no nonsense and I prefer warm and welcoming.

I miss Dr. Workman and if I could find another doctor like her, I would be the happiest mama in the world!

·
Registered
9,290 Posts
I agree w/ Dr. Deryl Lamb in Queen Creek (ellsworth/ocotillo). He delivered ds2 and we've been seeing him ever since.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jenmama
I am pleased with Dr. Charles Martin from Southwestern Pediatrics in Chandler. We are uncertain of the vax situation, aren't currently doing any. He does ask that you sign a waiver, but what can you expect it is our choice and they have to protect themselves and their medical license. He is very open minded and supportive. He is also willing to spend time with each patient. The office could use a make-over, but I guess it's about the doctor. (Still hoping they update the furniture soon.)
I have had exactly 1 visit w/ Dr. Martin, and I won't be going back. I had a meet/greet appt where we discussed not vaxing. He sounded cool w/ my decision, said it was my choice, etc. I scheduled a 9 mo WBC for DS. At that appt he started the hard sell about how "stuff is coming over the border all the time. He needs polio, tetanus, etc. I can give a 5 in 1 shot, so he doesn't have to be stuck repeatedly, etc." He totally did a 180 deg turn on me. It bugged me, but I said I'd try him again. DS got sick on a Saturday. I paged him repeatedly over a 3 hour period (started at 8 AM, not in the middle of the night). He never called back.

No thanks!! I'm not the only parent that has had trouble reaching him after hours, even though his answering machine says to page him.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I love Dr. Ruth Tan Lim! Amcal, I think you caught her on a really bad day-she actually broke a bone in her leg and was on crutches with a cast for a bit! I just went to DD's well baby visit with her and she was great-she didn't push the vax issue at all. In fact, she said children really shouldn't have vaxes until their brain is fully developed (we are not vaxing at all and she was ok with that) . She also encouraged me to keep breastfeeding, and not to force solids too soon (dd is 6 months old) and sat and talked to my husband and myself for another 20 minutes or so about random parenting issues. The one real problem I have with the office is her backup doctor-Dr. Lee. His advice is really outdated. He told me to replace some of DD's nursing with water because she is "getting too big" . Of course I ignored him and will be seeing Dr. Tan Lim from now on

·
Registered
21 Posts
We've only recently switched to non-vaxing (my daughter is 4 months old)

but so far my pedi has been supportive of that decision

Dr. Carroll at Gilbert Pediatrics

·
Registered
6 Posts
Just went to Dr. Ruth Tan Lim in Mesa (under Ruth Tan in the AZ doc directory)...she is an M.D. and a homeopath. She is very pleasant and supportive of my decisions. I highly recommend her.

Jenny.

·
Registered
126 Posts
Oh, awesome! I have actually met Dr. Lim in real life (she spoke at my church once) and I'm glad to hear she's ok with no vax/delayed vax. I'm not really happy with our current Ped (Dr. England w/ EV Peds). Both my DS's have dairy allergies and when I mentioned at DS#2's WBC that I don't give him any cow's milk for that reason, she said I should be trying it again. Um, no. I've seen what dairy does to his poor little face and I don't plan on giving it to him ever. I thought that was really strange advice - she totally didn't believe me that I know what my own baby is allergic to.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I reluctantly post about Dr. H. Jake Wiens because I adore him and don't want to compete with any more patients. Our whole family goes to him and he's GREAT. Southern/Higley. I have seen Dr. Xenia Cabey at Sierra Peds; she's great for many things, but is adamantly pro-vaccine and shakes her head that I'm still BFg my toddler. So if you're not up for disagreeing with your ped, she isn't for you!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Bughead, Dr. England was dds first pediatrician...after one visit I decided that I would never go back to her office. The office overcharged me for the visit (copay amount was listed on the insurance card!), I had to wait for 2 hours (with a 10 day old baby) to see the doc even though I arrived early for the appt, she looked at me like I was an alien when she saw me nursing my newborn and proceeded to tell me that I was putting my dd in danger by not vaxing
: Needless to say, I wasn't pleased. I'm glad I found Dr. Tan-shes great

·
Registered
59 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by dukeswalker View Post
nak
Dr. Rajeev Agarwal in Phoenix - he is speaking at La Leche League of AZ's conference in Sept.
: I cannot say enough nice things about Dr. Agarwal. We tried two other Peds (including Dr. Martin) prior to him, and will not go back. He is so caring, and also the only Dr. in the practice, so you only see him. We had a croup scare recently, and he got us immediately in to the ER. My son was dropping a little on the weight chart, and he was so understanding about it. He is also really pro-bfing. Doesn't push vax (we are delaying or avoiding, not sure yet), and is just generally a nice guy. And he never seems rushed, takes his time talking to us, even though he mentioned he is working 100 hrs a week (trying to get his practice going)! We live in the East Valley, and although it is a 35 minute drive, it is definitely worth it

1 - 18 of 18 Posts