Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Dear mommas,

I am due in December with our second daughter. DD number 1 is now 3 and 3/4years. She is very excited about being a big sister and taking care of her baby sister. She is going to be a terrific help, some times too much of a help!!
Somebody, who I met by chance, suggested I give her a newborn baby doll when the baby is born, so both of us would come home with our newborn baby. I though it was a very good idea.
So I've been looking for a newborn baby doll (preferable one that acts and a new born, cry, sleep, etc…) and the only ones I found, they all have bottles and pacifier
. Humm, since I am going to breastfeed, and pacifiers will have a very limited use, I was wondering if you came across with a newborn baby doll that have some interactive, but not necessarily with bottles and pacifiers.

I guess I should post this thread Childhood Years group too!

Thanks,

MamãeSol

·
Registered
2,353 Posts
We bought a baby doll for ds, but it isn't electronic. It is a berenguer baby. Very life like, and anatomically correct. It will fit in nb size cloth diapers and premie sized baby clothes. So he can change and dress his baby.

Tykies diapers has this doll set http://tykie.cutsie.net/productinfo....73ffa90398a874

And you can buy the berenguer newborns on ebay. Ds's is a la newborn doll, but berenguer makes many different ones.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I run an infant/toddler childcare center, and every year out toddlers and twos get a burst of interest in baby dolls (which of course, coincides with the arrival of new siblings). We've really found that the ones that DO less (no batteries) are the most popular, because they can bathe them and dress them and they are generally both lighter and sturdier. Try explaining to a two or three year old why their baby doesn't cry anymore

Having said that, the regular toy companies/catlogues are pretty expensive, Corolle makes a nice washable, anatomically correct version, but it runs about $40 (although my 23 mth old LOVES hers). Some of the early childhood stores that have online versions have much better selection and prices, and much more of a variety of skintones and sizes. Some that we've found good prices and variety at are:
Lakeshore Learning
Discount School Supplies
Kaplan
Environments

and of course googling newborn dolls gets you more choices then you'd like.
Email me or post if you'd like more specific ideas or brands and I can look them up.

As to the bottle and pacifier, the parents we have here who don't use them, just edit the package - replace it with a sippy cup, or sling, or other suitable accessory that will be used at your home. And at school we have all choices, as we, of course have babies who are fed every possible way - but most of our toddlers assume that their babies need to be nursed - which is especially entertaining to watch with the boys

Celeste
dd 23 mths
ds due 1/9/06

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello Celeste and Iris,

Thanks for your tips. For some reason, I was not able to find any nice dolls; but now you gave lots of options. I need to take some time to see what would fit DD the best.

thanks again!

MamãeSol

·
Registered
1,189 Posts
Celeste-
I tried looking for the on-line companies you listed and could only get Environments.
Are the other just their name and ".com" or something different?
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
This is sort of opposite of what you are asking for in your original post, but I'll throw it out there--what about a baby doll that actually does less? I find the "Waldorf" style of dolls to be lovely. They don't "do" anything, even their facial expression is close to neutral. This is so that the child can let the doll be anything they imagine. They are made of natural materials so there is no plastic baby powder smell that so many baby dolls are perfumed with.

There is a whole range of customization possible, but there is also a good price range and they don't need to cost a whole lot--although many do. I just googled waldorf baby doll and came up with a whole range.

Since you'll be bfing the baby doll could just come with a sling.

Dd has a handful of plastic baby dolls, but her favorite is a Waldorf style doll I found on sale that is mainly a head with a very non-descript body and a long cap on it's head. It's wearing a red and yellow outfit so it could be either a boy or a girl. It's not so many things, and is so simple that I am repeatedly surprised about how much this doll is her favorite.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I keep going back and forth between a simple plastic doll or a waldorf doll for dd- to mark the arrival of little brother in jan. What about durability? Is it difficult to clean a waldorf doll? (I'm putting a lot of thought into this decision but part of me knows that whatever I buy will probably get dragged in the dirt, wet, spilled on.... etc...)

Also, I looked at the Corolle dolls and there weren't many boy dolls. Anybody have suggestions specifically for a boy baby doll? (dd says she has a baby in her belly too and just like mommy, it's a boy!)

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
I would second what other mamas have said about choosing a doll that doesn't cry, wet, etc. . . kids have such fertile imaginations that your daughter will have no problems "making" her doll do all of the things that her new baby brother will do.

Also, not sure if you would be interested, but I thought THIS doll http://www.atoygarden.com/index.cfm?...Product_ID=859 was just adorable, and maybe a fun toy for the daughter of an AP mom? She could recreate birth and nursing with her mama doll.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.