Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
268 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So, my 2.5 year old is babbling away in her toddler bed...not unhappy...she can get out if she wants (and sometimes gets out for a "false alarm" potty break, or a real one...she seems to be night training herself..but anyway..how long should you let your kid babble for? She's not crying, just singing, telling stories, making noises, bouncing around. She can put herself to sleep and usually does, but it's been over an hour so far, way longer than usual. Maybe it's developmental?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I guess I could go sing to her (she already had singing as part of normal bedtime routine) but I feel like I might just be interfering in her going-to-sleep process...what is your experience?</p>

·
Registered
4,169 Posts
<p>As far as I'm concerned, a child who is in the bedroom, making cheerful noises, and not keeping other people up is functionally asleep.  It's my experience that, if I go in there, the whole thing becomes a fun game about getting Mommy's attention.  (I love the baby snuggles and all, but it can go on all night.)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If she's really still up, you might consider reducing naps, getting her more active playtime during the day, or planning a slightly later bedtime, but I often reach the end of the day very tired, and am just as happy to put the kids to bed and decompress some by myself, even if it means they're singing to themselves for a while.</p>

·
Registered
266 Posts
<p>My 24m DD does this too. I still lie down with her until she falls asleep, so our situation is a little different, but I can definitely relate to the behavior. It often takes her 30 minutes to calm down enough that she's quiet, and another 15 or so to actually fall asleep. Tonight it took even longer. Some days she's just more excited, and will just roll around singing and telling herself stories for what seems like FOREVER. It drives me crazy sometimes, but I find that responding in most ways tends to just make it worse, and that she just needs the time to unwind.</p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts