Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 2mo has been throwing up daily (a couple of twice a day) for the last 5 or 6 days. She was diagnosed with reflux at about 4 weeks, and we're treating it with Prevacid. The throwing up doesn't seem to bother her--she doesn't scream afterward or seem inconsolable, the way she was when she spit up before we started the medicine. The throw up is usually the white curdy kind--i.e., stuff that's been sitting in her stomach. Her (uber-crunchy) ped seems unconcerned given that there aren't any other signs of a problem--e.g., babe isn't sick, seems happy, etc. x

Still, this doesn't seem quite normal to me and it's also really annoying! The amount of laundry we're doing--to say nothing of the appalling state of our furniture--is ridiculous.

Are there some babe's that just do this? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Yesterday for instance, she ate for about ten minutes after sleeping 7 hours; then started to eat again about an hour later and threw up half way through it. So, at that point, she definitely hadn't overeaten. Sometimes, though, she does seem to do it after a big meal or a few closely spaced nursing sessions. I have a really strong flow, so I'm wondering if she's comfort nursing and getting more milk than she really wants?

Any insight into any of this? Has anyone experienced similar?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,914 Posts
I find this sometimes with my ped patients. Adjustments have helped all of these babies. I have suspected interference to the nerve flow to the cardiac sphincter, but I can't be sure. That's just a hunch.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
11,133 Posts
I got it to open using Adobe Acrobat, but iot wouldn't provide an URL.

Quote:
The safety and effectiveness
of PREVACID in patients <1 year of age have not been established.

Quote:
adolescent patients with nonerosive GERD, who had dizziness concurrently with other events (such as
migraine, dyspnea, and vomiting).
Man, the words are so little I am having trouble reading all the info.
Maybe it will work for someone else.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
We're on Zantac not Prevacid but yes, Ds used to throw up those white curd spit-ups for several weeks (albeit without pain). I could never really find any connection or patterns either. He mostly tagged Dh but would do it anywhere from 10min to 3 hours after eating. I've wondered about an egg allergy and cut those out (We're testing that today, I just ate`some eggs).

I can tell you that the spitting up lasted for several weeks (6-8?). Now, at 4.5mo, I can't remember the last time he did that. More than a month ago I'd say. Could be the eggs, but I suspect its just a development thing. He grew a lot longer and we haven't had to up his dosage with weight gain.

SWhat you described sounds like my refulx baby for sure.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well, she's been on the Prevacid for over five weeks and only started having the vomiting in the last 5 days or so. So I'm not ready to just chalk it up to that.

As for the effectiveness being unproven--she was screaming uncontrollably and inconsolably every time she spit up and that stopped after just a couple of days on the medication, so we're happy with our decision to use it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
I often think that people who have never had a reflux baby don't understand how the medication can be needed. I'm just glad to be able to offer Ds relief for his pain.

Anyhow, it does sound strange with the timing of onset. I can't remember if our Ds started at the same time as his medicine or later like in your case. I never considered the curds to be 'vomit' just spit-up of the older milk variety. I'll let you know the outcome of our eggsperiment if you're curious.

As I said, I think physiological changes were what ended it for us, but that assumes its the weak sphincter muscle allowing the milk back up. My Dh had the theory that because after the diagnosis we became pretty vigilant about not laying Ds down after eating and keeping him at an incline most of the time that the spit-up became old milk because that's how it was by the time we were laying him flat to play, etc and it was flowing back up.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
343 Posts
FWIW, my baby does not have reflux but also does the throwing up of white curds at random times after eating, and not always after what might be overeating, and sometimes it is more frequent than others.

It does *not* bother Evelyn at all. But, I sympathize because it does bother me, not only in terms of laundry but because I can't help but feel bad for her because it looks like it wouldn't be fun (although she has even thrown up while laughing!). My doc says it is "happy spitting" and not to worry.

Since your baby has a history of reflux, I'm sure you will want to keep an eye on this. But, maybe it helps to know that it may be within the range of "normal" for babies without reflux to do this.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,428 Posts
Valian said:
I often think that people who have never had a reflux baby don't understand how the medication can be needed. I'm just glad to be able to offer Ds relief for his pain.

Exactly! DD#2 had reflux, and she puked about 15 times a day. What's funny, is that she, so far, has been my chunkiest baby!! We used Prevacid, and that helped for awhile. But honestly, what helped the most was starting her on cereal at 4.5 months. Once we did that, her reflux was pretty much gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,949 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Sydnee said:
Quote:

Originally Posted by Valian
Exactly! DD#2 had reflux, and she puked about 15 times a day. What's funny, is that she, so far, has been my chunkiest baby!! We used Prevacid, and that helped for awhile. But honestly, what helped the most was starting her on cereal at 4.5 months. Once we did that, her reflux was pretty much gone.

Ugh! Yeah...babe is growing like a weed. We can't believe how big she is! It's hard to imagine they manage when they're throwing up...but I think the vomit seems like a lot more than it actually is. It's not bothering her at all, so I'm not terribly concerned...but what a mess! She threw up all over her bouncy seat today (I put her down for thirty seconds so I could go pee, and when I came back she had a present for me).

kristen...we took her for one session of cranio-sacral massage about a month ago; it didn't seem to be helpful to her, and we didn't go back for logistical reasons (transportation and money). We're going out of town for August, but maybe we'll consider doing it again when we get back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
164 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by NYCVeg
My 2mo has been throwing up daily (a couple of twice a day) for the last 5 or 6 days. She was diagnosed with reflux at about 4 weeks, and we're treating it with Prevacid. The throwing up doesn't seem to bother her--she doesn't scream afterward or seem inconsolable, the way she was when she spit up before we started the medicine. The throw up is usually the white curdy kind--i.e., stuff that's been sitting in her stomach. Her (uber-crunchy) ped seems unconcerned given that there aren't any other signs of a problem--e.g., babe isn't sick, seems happy, etc. x

Still, this doesn't seem quite normal to me and it's also really annoying! The amount of laundry we're doing--to say nothing of the appalling state of our furniture--is ridiculous.

Are there some babe's that just do this? There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it. Yesterday for instance, she ate for about ten minutes after sleeping 7 hours; then started to eat again about an hour later and threw up half way through it. So, at that point, she definitely hadn't overeaten. Sometimes, though, she does seem to do it after a big meal or a few closely spaced nursing sessions. I have a really strong flow, so I'm wondering if she's comfort nursing and getting more milk than she really wants?

Any insight into any of this? Has anyone experienced similar?
My Lo would overeat at the breast. And they say you cannot overfeed a breastfed baby. They also say breastfed babies don't spit up as much.
Well my LO would overeat. I think it was my fault as I did not recognize his signs. Sometimes after eating he would root an hour or so later like he wants to eat, in which he really wants to go to bed or have a nap. Then we would rock him to sleep etc, and this is really what he wanted. He needed comfort (the boob) to help him go to bed. We have used the soother so far, and sometimes he soothes himself with his hand.

He did have reflux or a mild case of it as he did spit up after every meal. He was wearing bibs so that I would not change the outfit all the time just the bib, and it was around 4-5 bibs per day. I would wait until they got quite wet or if someone else wanted to pick him up.

He is almost 11 weeks and the reflux issue seems to have cleared up on its own. (He was never unhappy about spitting up as yours and yes, the laundry thing did get annoying, but we lived with it)

Also I have found that if you have a strong let down - with spraying boobs (it did it in his face) he would swallow quicker along with air, and this may contribute to his spitting up. A really hungry baby will do this, so try to slow them down. You can see it as they are chugging the milk, a swallow on every suck. It usually happens for the first 5 mins or less, and then the baby can such at its own pace. Burping frequently will help as well.

A.
 
1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Top