Mothering Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The doc thinks babe (5 weeks) has reflux.

I need to find a better way for him to sleep, to ease his reflux symptoms. The only way I can get him to fall asleep is to place him upright on my shoulder (like I am burping him), and bounce him gently up and down, either while walking, or while sitting on an exercise ball. Then I hold him in this position the whole time he is sleeping, because if I put him down (in a crib, in my bed, in an amby hammock, in a swing, in a car seat, in a bouncy seat, doesn't matter where) he wakes up either immediately or within 15 minutes.

This upright position is probably best for his reflux, but it is killing my back and arms -- Plus, I cannot sleep in this position, because I am afraid I will drop him after I fall asleep.

I have tried to get him to sleep in various baby carriers, but he doesn't seem to like any of them (fusses a lot in them). I have two wraps (didy and moby), an ergo, a sachi mei tai, and a baby bjorn. Does a baby carrier exist that allows baby to be in this "burp position"?

Occasionally at night he will sleep next to me swaddled on his side, but only for about an hour, and then he wakes himself up by gurgling and spitting up. I have a tucker sling and wedge which I just tried last night (next to me in my bed), but he wakes up as soon as I try to put him in it.

Any words of wisdom or advice from fellow mamas with reflux babes? I am starting to go a little batty here...
:

· Registered
324 Posts
Both of my boys had severe reflux and ended up needing surgery. That said I know what you are going through. The only way either of my boys would sleep for any length of time was on my chest while I was sitting up.

I got one of those reading /working pillows that provided me with good back support. Once they were asleep I would sit down and place then upright on my chest.

I never dropped them and we both got sleep. I think that you just naturally sleep lighter when your baby is on you.

Sorry I could not be of more help; just know you are not alone in this.

P.S. For my boys it turned out their esophogeual (?) flap was not completely formed. Once they had surgery the reflux went completely away as did their ear infections, colds, etc.

· Registered
1,240 Posts
First of all, have you cut out dairy? Is he on any kind of medication?

I see your already using a wedge. That was going to be my first suggestion. Have you tried putting him on his side to sleep? Yes, it's against recommendations, but side sleeping was all that worked for us there for a while.

When he's in a carrier, do you have him facing in or out? Facing in is always best. Also, anything that bends him at the waist (like a car seat, or sitting upright in a sling) will probably make things worse. I've also found that an amber teething necklace helps with reflux spitting. It might be worth trying out.

I wish I had more ideas for you, but it sounds like you've tried most of them already.

· Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by runnerbrit View Post
I got one of those reading /working pillows that provided me with good back support. Once they were asleep I would sit down and place then upright on my chest.
That sounds like a good idea -- I may try that for nighttime sleep, since I have found it impossible to get him to sleep on that sling/wedge thing (he wakes up every time I put him on it).

Quote:

Originally Posted by GathererGirl View Post
First of all, have you cut out dairy? Is he on any kind of medication? Have you tried putting him on his side to sleep? When he's in a carrier, do you have him facing in or out? I've also found that an amber teething necklace helps with reflux spitting.
He has started taking Zantac (as of yesterday), at the recommendation of the pediatrician, and I also just started giving him BioGaia probiotic drops. My daughter had reflux as an infant too, and the Zantac really helped her, until she grew out of the reflux at about 7 months. (Unfortunately the lack of reflux never helped her sleep, though -- She is still a poor sleeper at 3 1/2 years old.) I am hoping the Zantac will ease his troubles, but am not sure if it will help his sleep.

I haven't cut out dairy -- I am a vegetarian (lacto-ovo type) and such a dairy addict, it will be really tough on me.
: I'm afraid that I would find it difficult to get adequate protein if I cut out dairy and soy (the two main things that are recommended to cut out in elimination diets). I am going to see how the Zantac does for him, and if that doesn't help, then I will cut out dairy.

When we co-sleep, I will occasionally put him on his side facing me. This helps a little, but he still wakes often and barfs breastmilk all over the bed.

In all the carriers, we do facing in, but he usually still fusses in them. But today I finally had success in getting him to fall asleep in the Moby wrap, hooray!
: I'll keep trying him in that.

Is he too young for an amber teething necklace (he's only 5 weeks)?

· Registered
1,240 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by csrabine View Post
Is he too young for an amber teething necklace (he's only 5 weeks)?
Nope, just go to Inspired By Finn (my preferred vendor for them) and order one for his neck size.

If you get to the point of cutting out dairy, you might not need to cut out soy. I was afraid I'd have to because my boy has very severe reflux (he lost something like a pound in a week around the time he was diagnosed) but soy isn't a problem for him. Also, if Zantac doesn't work, you might want to look into something like Prevacid. Zantac is an antacid, while Prevacid is a proton pump inhibitor. They work in different ways, so if one doesn't work for your baby, the other might. My son is on Prevacid in addition to be dairy free, and that combination has worked very well for us.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.