Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, I am freaking out a little. I almost always have the door shut where the litter box is especially b/c my cat like to do her business on the outside of the litter box(but right beside it???) Shes a weird cat. Anyway, this morning forgot to shut the door and I ran to the bathroom really quick and went to look for dd b/c she took off and I found her sitting by the feces w/ a tiny bit on her hand and mouth. I am almost positive she didn't swallow any. It looks like she put it in her mouth then spit it out?? Do you think she will be okay? or do I need to do something, thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
128 Posts
my sister-in-law had this happen once, although she was positive her son DID swallow some. she called poison control, and they told her he would be fine, that she did not need to give him any ipacec (sp?) or anything like that. they told her cat litter is more toxic than cat feces. now, that being said, who knows if that person actually knew what they were talking about. she assumed they did, and her son was fine, of course. but if you are concerned, it couldn't hurt to call!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,059 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wendy1221
It's not any different from eating any other poop.

I heard you can get tapeworms if the cat has them.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I don't know what to do. I don't think she swallowed any, in fact I feel positive. It's just the fact it may have been in her mouth.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
372 Posts
This happened to my baby twice now. I almost weaned him because the thought of what was in his mouth being anywhere near my nipples made me really freak out!


Just type in google - my baby ate cat poop and you will see several pages of people with the same concern.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
335 Posts
FWIW, I had a cat who would go beside the box if it wasn't pretty much spotless...I generally had to change it twice a day to meet his standards.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lkg4dmcrc
This happened to my baby twice now. I almost weaned him because the thought of what was in his mouth being anywhere near my nipples made me really freak out!


Just type in google - my baby ate cat poop and you will see several pages of people with the same concern.
LOL-I rinsed her mouth out w/ water then nursed her and I was feeling a little scweemish(sp?)

I'll do the google search-thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Doodadsmom
FWIW, I had a cat who would go beside the box if it wasn't pretty much spotless...I generally had to change it twice a day to meet his standards.
I thought that was the problem too, she used to always use her litter box unless we were gone all day or over night, then she would in the lving room. I clean it like crazy but and always change the litter, but I am starting to think she doesn't like where I put it b/c I moved it recently and this is when it started?? She is a picky cat and always has been. *sigh* Plus she hasn't been peeing in the litter in the past few days either, but not sure where she is going?? She had major problems w/ spraying at our old house and after I had her spayed, she quit plus we moved and everything has been fine until now and dh is not happy and is threating to get rid of her(even though he loves her and couldn't part
Trust me

maybe I need to go post in the pet forum about all this-lol
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,568 Posts
You might want to do what we did to keep the litter boxes out of reach. We got a cheap spring action baby gate and cut a whole in it so the cats can get through but the baby can't. It's always there so no need to worry about shutting the door.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by alicia622
You might want to do what we did to keep the litter boxes out of reach. We got a cheap spring action baby gate and cut a whole in it so the cats can get through but the baby can't. It's always there so no need to worry about shutting the door.
lol-good idea since I have 2 hand-me-down baby gates sitting in the guest closet. I am such a dork...thanks for the tip
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,364 Posts
You weren't the first to post about this on here...I recall seeing one or two of the exact same posts on this forum when ds was an infant.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manda316
momtonatalee I just looked at ur myspace account and ur Breastfeeding rap is too funny
Thanks, I actually got it from a Mama off the Lactivism forum here on MDC
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sierra
You weren't the first to post about this on here...I recall seeing one or two of the exact same posts on this forum when ds was an infant.
I'll try a search, thanks
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
7,499 Posts
I looked at your myspace profile after a PP said that about the milk thing....you are SO pretty!!!! Love the pics of the baby animals nursing too
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by babygrant
I looked at your myspace profile after a PP said that about the milk thing....you are SO pretty!!!! Love the pics of the baby animals nursing too

Aw, thanks! I know I went a little nuts w/ my myspace. It's addicting
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lisa85
FWIW - there's no need to cut a hole in the baby gate - just install it a couple inches off the ground.
thanks,that is a great idea too, I already put the gate up, but haven't cut the hole (dd is very adventurous and dh says she will try to put arms and legs through the hole??-lol) And he is right, she will get caught and scream, so I am waiting to see if Mia(the cat) will jump over the gate?? If not maybe we can try your suggestion.

Funny thing though, Mia used her litter box to do her business today? First time in a least a week? She is so weird.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,789 Posts
On a side note, if kitty is peeing outside the box you might want to take her to the vet. From what I understand, that can be a sign of some sort of urinary infection. The only time my cats pee outside the box is when they have UTIs, which pretty easily clear up with an antibiotic.

M.
 
1 - 20 of 26 Posts
Top