Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm mainly starting this thread to get this off of my chest. The other night, DS was sleeping next to me... he was hungry (and not just for the meager supply I have) so I got him a bottle and lay down next to him. Well, I don't like for him to lay flat while he's drinking from a bottle, so I usually lean his head in the crook of my arm so his head is at an angle.

I guess I wasn't thinking because I was tired, and I went to lift his little body up so I could rest his head on my arm.. and I only tugged on one of his arms! Ouch! It made a little popping noise that scared me to death. I guess he was fine because he didn't complain any, and he didn't seem to be in any pain, but it scared the CRAP out of me!

I keep hearing that little noise in my head, thinking, what if I had actually hurt his poor little arm?? I'm sure one little teeny arm isn't meant to support his weight like that.

Anytime he gets a little booboo (he squirms a lot so it's hard to keep hold of him sometimes) I just have a cow.

How am I going to make it through the toddler years?? Does anyone else feel like they're going to just die if their poor baby ever gets hurt? I hope I can keep my head if he ever actually falls down or something!

·
Registered
6,142 Posts
I can totally understand your feelings. With my ds I hold him as if I was holding porcelain. The thing that worries me most, is that if I hurt him accidentally, then he will feel pain and yet he is not able to understand me when I say I'm sorry and I'm afraid he'll think I did it on purpose..

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Kristi, give it time, trust me, in no time you'll be throwing him around in your arms, juggling him and everything else you're carrying and won't think twice about it!!

Are you a first-time mom? Is he very young? I would think by 6 months, you'll be way past this nervousness... hang in there!

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
ctmomof2 - ha ha!!! Well he's going to be 7 months old in just a few days. So maybe I'm just a nervous mom! Actually I haven't felt that nervous around him (when he was first born I was totally convinced that I would drop him!), but when that little thing with his poor arm happened, I thought maybe I had gotten too lazzes faire (sp) or something, and it made me nervous all over again!

Oh well, I guess finding something to worry about runs in my family.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
Well, i'm on my second baby, and i've done the "arm pull - popping" thing and i was a nervous wreck about that at the time, with both of my kids!! I think if the baby doesn't cry, it must not hurt them!! At least, that's what i tell myself!!

Hey, speaking of which, did you ever,
while carrying the baby in the crook of your arm, walk too closely to a doorway and hit him in the head?? Done that twice w/my first and once w/my second!!! Both only just a couple of weeks old!!

·
Registered
1,614 Posts
I am s-l-o-w-l-y becoming less nervous about holding and carrying dd (8 wks). I think it helps that from about day 3, dh was running around the house with her, "airplaning" her and jiggling her mercilessly on his knee (of course, carefully holding her head the whole time) :LOL. I see how much she loves him and his antics, so I'm feeling better about throwin' her on my hip and getting stuff done...although I am still way more cautious than dh. They are amazingly hardy...but that doesn't keep me from worrying that she'll fall off the bed, so I'm the queen of pillows on the edge of the bed, on the floor beside the bed, on the floor beside dh whenever he holds her...:LOL

Sarah

·
Registered
4,270 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ctmomof2 - that's hilarious! Yes, I have done that. Only once hard enough for him to get mad at me about it (must have scraped him, it didn't leave a mark). I am now EXTREMELY careful about doorways!

I'm glad someone else has done the arm-popping thing. I guess that must happen a lot!

I feel better now.

·
Registered
406 Posts
Yep, already done the arm popping thing, and bumped his head on the car ceiling while getting him into his seat! Bad Mama! Also, I nicked his toe while cutting his nails when he was about 3 weeks old. I cried, and DH thought it was so funny, he took a picture of the band-aided toe! DS didn't seem to feel it, luckily. However, after working with premies for almost 6 years, DS seemed pretty sturdy at 9lb 11oz at birth. Now he's a lunk!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts