Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
"In fact, elimination communication sounds a lot like another name for ever-present mothering: attachment parenting, the theory of child rearing that holds that kids are best off emotionally and cognitively if they're always with a single caregiver in their early years. "<br><br>
"All of which sounds like the sort of incremental, intimate process that requires near round-the-clock contact. And who is likely to be so devotedly attentive? I wonder. "<br><br>
I did not Ec with my ds but this arcticle clearly argues that no one in their right minds would try or even have thie time to do this. It is so hard to understand why parents have babies in the first place if they are not wanting to spend a considerable amount of time with them, at least that first year!!! They are only a week old for a day, a month old for a day etc. That first year goes by sooo fast I can't believe that any parent who could would not want to spend as much time possible with their baby.<br><br><br><a href="http://slate.msn.com/id/2128061/" target="_blank">http://slate.msn.com/id/2128061/</a>

·
Registered
640 Posts
I looked up her bio:<br><br>
Emily Bazelon is a senior editor at Slate. She edits "Assessment" and the magazine's health and science sections. Before joining Slate, she worked as an editor and writer at Legal Affairs magazine and as a law clerk in Portland, Maine. Her work has appeared in the New York Times Magazine, Mother Jones, the Washington Post, the Los Angeles Times, and the Boston Globe. She is a graduate of Yale College and Yale Law School.<br><br>
but didn't see what I wanted to know... is she a mother? Sounds like the perfect bit of dribble a non-parent would write...

·
Registered
2,568 Posts
I have to admit that I think EC could never be for me, no offense to those that did it or are doing it. Mainly it's b/c of my own personality. I'd have ended up sitting in the bathroom with dd for months on end.<br><br>
That aside, this article is poorly written. But I really dislike these articles that make everything about parenting so black and white. Even your post does this. It's always set up here is what these crazy people are doing - "cloth diapering or giving formula to their infants or whatever and why on earth would you do this when the more sensible thing to do is use disposibles or breastfeed. What insane parents would try it?"<br><br>
This writer is committing the same crime that she claims is being committed against her that people are telling her how to parent. As parents we have a wide range of choices and ways to screw up our kids on our own without other people trying to make us feel guilty or crazy about it.<br><br>
Personally I don't want to be with my dd 24/7. I am an introvert and find it impossible to be "on" that much. But I don't fault someone who does want to be with their dc 24/7 and has the patience and lack of anal retentiveness that would allow them to do EC (no pun intended). Neither of us are crazy. Both of us are individuals who are parenting individuals and none of us are cookie cutter cutouts where one rule applies for all of us.

·
Registered
3,035 Posts
Ah, another article defending a woman's 'right' to have to be away all day to labor to enrich someone else. Labor-saving devices like diapers are great because they allow mommies to leave their kids so they can work? Nice fantasy, except the majority of women in our country *have* to work.<br><br>
The 'free to work all day' argument could only be made by someone who has this as an option. While this article purports to be about balance and women's liberty, I'm sure there are lots MORE mothers who would like to at least have the 'freedom' to decide FOR THEMSELVES where to 'invest' their own time (work vs. home, 'attached to baby all day' vs. 'out fulfilling their professional dreams'). We forget that most labor-saving devices for children's care arise from the necessity of having two wage-earners. How crazy to decide to opt out of this, and to opt out of the consumerist ($3k per year) lifestyle. Granola-crunchers, all of you!<br><br>
I'd personally like to see more articles devoted to *crazy* ideas like fair, livable wages.

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
Yet another article from a woman bashing other women's (or parent's) choices. Sigh...<br><br>
For giggles, I signed up so that I could reply to the article (and I don't even EC)...<br><br><i>"They smell and cause rashes. The disposable kind is expensive, mass-produced, commercially packaged, and filled with clingy little polymer pellets." But all this is OK with Ms. Bazelon because - why? Because they allow us to hand off our children to non-parent caregivers guilt free? For the record, I'm a work outside the home mother of two, and I don't use eliminination communicatation. I DO use cloth diapers, the modern version of which are quite different from the early version scorned by Ms. Bazelon's mother and eliminate most of the stated downsides stated by the author, plus they remove the millions of tons of human waste that go into landfills. But I digress...<br><br>
Really, now, where's the harm if a parent or two (or, gasp - more!) want to practice elimination communication with their child. So maybe they have a closer bond with their child. This hurts Ms. Bazelon how?<br><br>
In one little article, Ms. Bazelon manages to dismiss both EC and attachment parenting (something I manage to do while working full-time!). How sad for her that she needs to bash other parenting choices. Is it so that she can make herself feel better about having a "child who can be easily handed off to someone else"?</i>

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<div style="margin:20px;margin-top:5px;">
<div class="smallfont" style="margin-bottom:2px;">Quote:</div>
<table border="0" cellpadding="6" cellspacing="0" width="99%"><tr><td class="alt2" style="border:1px inset;">
<div>Originally Posted by <strong>lisalou</strong></div>
<div style="font-style:italic;">I have to admit that I think EC could never be for me, no offense to those that did it or are doing it. Mainly it's b/c of my own personality. I'd have ended up sitting in the bathroom with dd for months on end.<br><br>
That aside, this article is poorly written. But I really dislike these articles that make everything about parenting so black and white. Even your post does this. It's always set up here is what these crazy people are doing - "cloth diapering or giving formula to their infants or whatever and why on earth would you do this when the more sensible thing to do is use disposibles or breastfeed. What insane parents would try it?"<br><br>
This writer is committing the same crime that she claims is being committed against her that people are telling her how to parent. As parents we have a wide range of choices and ways to screw up our kids on our own without other people trying to make us feel guilty or crazy about it.<br><br>
Personally I don't want to be with my dd 24/7. I am an introvert and find it impossible to be "on" that much. But I don't fault someone who does want to be with their dc 24/7 and has the patience and lack of anal retentiveness that would allow them to do EC (no pun intended). Neither of us are crazy. Both of us are individuals who are parenting individuals and none of us are cookie cutter cutouts where one rule applies for all of us.</div>
</td>
</tr></table></div>
<br>
I wasn't judging those that do not spend 24/7 with their kids. I was talking about that precious first year of life and how so many parents just do not value the time spent with their baby. You know the argument that if you nurse your baby to sleep and sleep with them then you won't be able to get a babysitter so you can go out at night. To me, this wan't important at 3, 4 5 months old, and to be honest even much older than that. I do enjoy an occasional night off now but not when my ds was a baby. I am not syaing that makes me a better parent. I am saying that I can't understand <i>not</i><br>
wanting to be with my baby to nurse him to sleep at night and be there if he wakes and wants more.

·
Registered
17,896 Posts
Funny teh first place I heard about EC was on a documentary about China. they were talking about how all the mothers had to work . . . don't use diapers . . . . split pants so they don't have to unbundle them . . . .showed moms picking up thier babies from daycare and letting him tickle outside before she put him in the car. baby was about 9 months old. I so wish I could remember where I saw that. it wasn't so long ago. while i haven't the time or inclination to EC I do admire the people who do and I think it is very cool.

·
Registered
3,166 Posts
Geez, WTH does she care?<br><br>
My baby likes to poop in the toilet. Why is that this lady's business? And, thankyouverymuch, my dh is more into EC'ing my dd than I am.<br><br>
I am just so sick of mainstream people attacking parents who just want to form close attachments with their kids. If they feel attacked by our choices, they're the ones with issues.<br><br>
Argh.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts