Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My ds is now 4 weeks. He got "baby acne" at two weeks. It isn't getting any better. Any recommendations?

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Use only water to bathe the skin -- no soap products as this can make it worse. Also, what kind of soaps, lotions and/or detergent are you using? Anything on your hands can affect baby's skin where you touch it. My babe got some acne and we switched the handsoaps we were using (started using Jason's satin soap which is wonderful) and the problem cleared up. We use Charlie's Soap (or 7th Gen on some clothing at that age), since many detergents (nearly all the mainstream, even the "free and clear" ones) have added brighteners which can cause skin reactions.<br><br>
If the acne is more like a rash though it could be an allergic reaction or sensitivity to something in your diet, assuming you're BFing.

·
Registered
24,538 Posts
It is an adjustment of the newborn's skin to living outside the womb. It is called <a href="http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/ency/article/001367.htm" target="_blank">milia</a>, and <a href="http://www.emedicine.com/DERM/topic265.htm" target="_blank">here</a> is more information.

·
Registered
2,909 Posts
DD is 5 weeks old now and she still has the acne she got at 3 weeks old.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
In case this helps -<br>
What helped my ds (now 2months) was switching to a dye/fragrance-free detergent for his and my clothes. And I am trying to bathe him more often (hard to find the time with my 2.5 yr ds!), and using just water when I do.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
i have been totally busy and forgot to check the forum...I use seventh gen wash deterg. but I've been using arbone baby natural wash (the ingredients list doesn't look to natural to me). His ped recommended cetaphil or whatever that stuff is called but it didn't help. I think I'm switching to jason.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts