Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
2,828 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DH and I are getting ready for our first, and we're trying to pare down the shopping list. Do any of you go without a baby bathtub? DH and I are big bath-takers, so it seems like an obvious one to go without. I remember my nephew, when he was a baby, would poop in his bath all the time
. I guess when it's your child, you probably don't care though, huh?

Any advice?

·
Registered
144 Posts
DS has always enjoyed showering with DH from day 1 as well. If you love baths, I think baby will enjoy it and feel a lot more secure with the skin to skin contact. I'd skip this one for sure! I don't think you need much beyond a carseat, some clothes, some blankets and a sling or wrap to carry the baby in.

·
Registered
520 Posts
I've just gotten in the big tub with my little guy from his first bath (well, DH did that one, I took pictures, but you get the idea
)
we did get a couple different seats for in the bath, and I don't even use those anymore although my husband still uses one. He's not as comfortable just holding Bug as I am.

Although it might take a bit longer to have both of us in and out of the tub, I feel that there are advantages. It's easier to wash him when I'm right in there with him and I can use my whole body to help hold him. I won't have to transition him to the big tub and have it be strange and scary to him. And hey, it's fun! He has a great time splashing around, I have fun playing in there with him, everyone wins.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Just wanted to add - now that DS is older and sitting up, I put an old towel in the bottom of the tub under my legs and it helps prevent any slipping while we play.

·
Registered
3,757 Posts
I always took baths with dd when we had a tub. Now we only have a shower, which dd hates, but she loves taking baths in the kitchen sink

love and peace.

·
Registered
326 Posts
I think baby bathtubs are much safer during the first few months than having them in the tub with you. Babies are so slippery and don't have much body control. I'd wait till your baby was at least able to sit up and then it's fun to take baths together, poop and all!

btw we got our bab bathtub for $10.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
The baby bathtub is completely necessary if you want a place to hold all those stuffed animals you're bound to get. Yeah, thats what mine's for!

·
Registered
25,599 Posts
I've bathed all mine in the kitchen sink when they were tiny. With ds1, I did have one of those little frame things with the terry cloth stretched across it, though...I just leaned him back against that, and he didn't slip around.

·
Registered
204 Posts
i use a baby bath tub with my 7 week DS mainly because it has an attachable infant sling which i don't think i could be without. as a first time mom, i feel much more comfortable/confident giving him a bath because of that sling.

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
We had one with my first DS and used only a few times. He seemed to hate it and get cold because the water was only so deep and it was hard when he was a newborn because he was so floppy and slippery in the baby bath. I definately vote for taking him in the bath with you which is what we did/do with both of our sons. Besides, newborn babies don't need lots of "baths" and before you know it they start gaining more and more muscle control which helps with the floppy-ness.

SJ

·
Registered
774 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by papayapetunia View Post
If you're concerned about slipperiness, get a water sling. I can wash my hair while dd falls asleep in it.
:
Are you kidding? Those exist?? Wow. I learn somethin' every day on MDC...Googling water sling now.

·
Registered
4,701 Posts
I bought a baby bathtub along with many other gadgets I thought I was supposed to have when my dd was born
I have never once bathed my now 6 1/2 month old ds in it! I really want to agree with the poster who said all you really need is a carseat, some simple clothes, some blankets and a sling or wrap to carry the baby in. Oh and diapers if you aren't doing EC.
With my first I bought SO much stuff and it was all color coordinated for her (
) and we used only the clothes, diapers, sling, and a carseat pretty much. Oh and a bouncy seat occasionally that was a gift. The rest is really a waste of space and money

·
Registered
36 Posts
I have never bothered with a baby bath as my babies have always been tiny and its been far easier to wash them in the sink. You can buy supports for baby to use in the bath and these might well be worth considering.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
i never used one until 7 months. before that hewas always in the bath w/ me. now that he can sit up we got a cheap inflatable one that goes in the tub so he can sit up and play in it. We now do about half and half, big tub vs. small tub.

·
Premium Member
2,986 Posts
My babies always go in the shower with me. I like holding them close like that when I bathe them.

·
Registered
663 Posts
We generally take ds in the shower with us, but when it's just me and he needs a bath, I use the baby tub. I haven't been able to figure out how to swing a shower with baby all alone, mostly because I want to shower, too, and don't know what to do with the baby when I'm washing my hair, etc.

·
Registered
1,817 Posts
We have one, but DD and DS usually just shower with me. I have used when DS and DD need to have a bath at the same time, but in general they shower with me.

·
Registered
2,368 Posts
we tried ours twice. honestly it felt more dangerous trying to maneuver him from outside the bathtub. he hated it, too, which made us sad, because baby bath time is totally cute and fun. he was much happier once i figured out how much easier it would be to just get in there with him. i have a cup of baby soapy water on the side of the tub, a washcloth, and a hooded towel waiting for us when we get out ... it just feels much more 'right' that way. the baby tub water did get cold really fast, too. and it's WAY easier on the back and legs to just be in there with them.

we used to use my old baby tub as a sled when i was a bigger kid.
that's about all i remember it being good for.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.