Mothering Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
220 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So DS is potty trained - sort of. He's great on the baby bjorn potty in the middle of the family room, butt naked. He goes without being told.

Put underwear on him and he's pretty good. If I remind him - no accidents. If I leave him be - most of the time he can't get his underwear off fast enough and he has an accident. But is it really an accident if he runs to the potty and tries (frantically) to pull off underwear but can't do it fast enough? I've got him in loose undies and big boxers but for whatever reason, it always get caught on his butt. He tends to pull down from the front as opposed to the sides, no matter how many times I tell him otherwise.

What do/should I work on first/next: the underwear issue or moving him to the big toilet? Also, what can I do to encourage him to tell me he needs to go?

He's already doing #2 on the toilet and 30% of the time he pees there too. If I'm reminding him - we go to the toilet. If he's going solo, it's the bjorn.

So what's my next step?

·
Banned
972 Posts
Oh you're so blessed! I haven't gotten as far as you have yet, but from what I've read, I'd keep working on the underwear removal if it's possible. I read a suggestion to teach the child to pull off the undies with one hand in the front and one hand in the back, then bend the legs and pull. That way they can get the undies over their buttocks. Also, using really big undies helps too-- but it sounds like you've already done that.

I'm rooting for you!

Faith
(Who's dd does everything EXCEPT put the poop and pee in the pot......What oh what is going to make the final piece click in place for this child?!?!?!)

·
Registered
3,190 Posts
Well, DD is nowhere near getting her undies and pants of herself. We pretty much always remind her, or say "okay, it's time to go to the park (or whatever) let's go potty first!" She also goes to the potty herself wherever it is if she is naked, but she just get get those pants off. I think it will be a while, too, before she can do it herself. She's 19 m.

·
Registered
1,671 Posts
My dd is also has lots of trouble with her undies. She tells me when she has to go, or I'll ask her before we go somewhere, and I'll just help her with her undies.

If he shows an interest in using the big toilet than go for it. Just keep helping him with the underwear. If he's not interested, my dd is not interested in the big potty, then don't worry about it, just work on the underwear.

It sounds like he's doing well! I'd just follow his cues, he'll let you know when he's ready for something.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts