Mothering Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
791 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so silly to ask this...

but because I"m not a boy, I keep wondering about hurting my lil man and his... parts. I mean... we bounce him, where he's sitting on our knee.
Doesn't that hurt his... boy parts?

each diaper change, I'm so careful not to push or touch too hard. I'm timid I might hurt something.

I changed my lil bros diapers, I just don't remember this being an issue. But now with my lil man, I'm so scared I'm going to hurt him. At what point do things "hurt"? Is the diaper enough protection? Is there a "drop" where things change at some point - my LO is 5mos, I'm assuming it's not any time soon? Any advice on good books to read about dealing with lil men? Thanks mamas!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I have worried about it some with my ds too but I just assumed that if anything (bouncing, diaper changes, etc.) hurt him he would let me know, I'm not super careful or super rough or anything and he's never seemed uncomfortable. Recently we've had some super sticky poops that I've had to really wipe around his penis and scrotum a lot and I've been worried about hurting him but he hasn't minded or noticed at all really.

·
Registered
155 Posts
I always wonder the same thing! Not so much on the diaper changing (he's had some big poops that have covered his penis and I've had to wipe it off often and he doest seem to mind at all), but I've wondered if carrying him and bouncing hurts. He loves to stratle my knee and bounce, even if I'm not bouncing him he will kick his legs to bounce himself. Also I carry him on my hip some and when he gets excited (like when dh gets home) he bounces on my hip like crazy! Even in the moby I always wonder if the fabric is spread out enough so his weight is not all on his penis.... He's never acted like any of it hurts, so I guess he's fine!

·
Registered
238 Posts
My DS grabs his boy parts when I change his diaper. He just recently started doing this. He can't see them, but somehow now he knows they're there and knows to reach down for them. He is so violent with them! He twists and tugs and digs his nails in and never even flinches! His dad sees him doing this and does all the flinching for him. The pain associated with that kind of thing must come later ...

·
Registered
1,941 Posts
I'm also one who figured if I were hurting him, he'd cry. He certainly does in other situations when he's scared or in pain, so as long as he's got a smile on his face, I'm not worried about it.

·
Registered
661 Posts
I don't have a boy, but you're not hurting him. Some of the best equestrian riders are male. And they obviously do much more than just bounce on a knee.

·
Registered
282 Posts
My father once watched me apply vaseline generously to my ds' boy parts and i got a huge lecture about how rough i was being and about how i need to place my ds' scrotum a little upwards when in the diaper so that he doesn't get hurt. My husband also thinks i apply vaseline too roughly also. I swear i'm not but i do apply it with the same pressure i would if applying lotion to his arm. He's only 4.5 months now so i'm pretty gentle. Oh, and i don't lift his scrotum upwards before closing the diaper. My ds is a pretty happy boy and never shows any discomfort

·
Registered
693 Posts
I wondered about this too, but also figure that if he were in pain, he would let us know. My DS has also discovered his and pulls hard, yanks, even leaves nail marks!
He keeps doing it & never seems to be in pain - actually he often laughs while he's doing it.
I did ask DP about it once and if I needed to be extra careful & how much it hurt. He said most stuff is fine, just not to "torque" it.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by odoole View Post
My DS grabs his boy parts when I change his diaper. He just recently started doing this. He can't see them, but somehow now he knows they're there and knows to reach down for them. He is so violent with them! He twists and tugs and digs his nails in and never even flinches! His dad sees him doing this and does all the flinching for him. The pain associated with that kind of thing must come later ...
I freaked out a little the first time DS did this, but then I figured, if it hurt, he wouldn't do it.

·
Registered
2,047 Posts
I *always* worry about that. I used to have DH do as many of the changes as possible, because I was/am worried that I would hurt him.
Now, I just try my best to change him and hope that his crying has nothing to do with how I'm cleaning him.

·
Premium Member
6,809 Posts
I assume that they don't have nearly as much... feeling? down there as they do when they get older. I came to this concluseion by watching DS1 yank on his, twist it, and just generally do awful seeming things to it - DH even flinched watching him. But, seeing as he was doing it to himself, we can only assume its not painful... and thus, I don't worry. I Just wipe around and am as matter of fact as possible. I'm not super rough, but I also don't worry about being super gentle either.

·
Premium Member
10,324 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by odoole View Post
Same here! He's rough with himself! I only stop him if it looks like it's going to leave marks. As far as bouncing, hmmm...I bet the diaper provides padding.

·
Registered
2,414 Posts
I think their little boy bits haven't really *dropped* all that far down either. Everything is there, but it's not as though gravity has taken it's toll yet. It's all a bit more front bottom, rather than just smack between their chubby little thighs. Like if DS is standing naked, nothing is really... er... hanging. Whereas if I were to try and bounce DH on my knee...

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
DH assures me that "boy bits" are much more resilient than most ladies think they are. Also, I think that's why they are so small before puberty, reduces the chances of damage before they need them.

I have 2 boys, and as they get older and discover the bits for themselves they will do things themselves that you swear *must* be painful, but don't seem to bother them in the slightest.

·
Registered
14,239 Posts
I have seen my ds grab his scrotum and yank it up above his penis so I figured me wiping him off wouldnt cause him any issues
Normal wiping and even a bit of pulling on the scrotum to get the poo out of the wrinkles wont hurt him.

Not sure how it works but the nuts are just not as sensitive as an older boy/man. Dont get get me wrong they can be hurt but it would take a lot more to do it from what I have seen.

·
Registered
8,927 Posts
Trust me when I say, if it were causing any pain in that area he will tell you... Loudly!

And yeah, as some PP's mentioned, it takes a lot more then bouncing to cause pain.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
My DS is another who just discovered his parts, and OMG it does look like he'll hurt himself with the yanking. For me the only time I think he doesn't like something is riding in the Moby, I swear that puts pressure on his bits.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.