Mothering Forum banner

Do you think it's okay to put a baby boy in a dress?

• Sure, gender attitudes re: clothes are so old-fashioned!

Votes: 72 28.1%
  • No way; that's not right.

Votes: 134 52.3%
  • Other

Votes: 50 19.5%
1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am all about reusing clothes we already have. I have also told people who have given us baby clothes that I don't care what gender they are for b/c I'll put my baby boy (if it's a boy) in anything, or vice versa.

Dresses are also easier for elimination communication, which we plan to do. Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,318 Posts
Well, up until the last 100 years or so, all small children and babies wore dresses. However, I'd probably remove the lace and ribbons and maybe dye them more "neutral" colors for a boy.

Personally, though, I'd scrub the wardrobe for anything that could go either way and not use the dresses for a boy. Although I think my son would look right dapper with a kilt.

·
Registered
918 Posts
I wouldn't do it. First people will assume (rightly) he's a girl if he's wearing a dress. Second, when he grows up he'll probably be mortified if he sees pics of himself wearing dresses when he was a baby. I'm fine with letting boys play dress up or wearing "girl" colors, but I think wearing a dress is going a bit far.

·
Registered
4,396 Posts
I think I am pretty open minded but I wouldn't put my son in a dress. I mean he's worn them before for silliness and dress up but as regular clothing. Nope. A long shirt, yes. A pink shirt? Why not? But very obvious girl clothing, no.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
Like the little newborn gowns? SURE, my sons wore those a lot.

A pink, frilly (and probably itchy) dress? Nope, not unless big sis is playing dress up with them -- which she does, and it's cute.

eta: just ask for gender neutral clothing, that way you can use them regardless.

The wrap around t-shirts (can't think of the name) are nice if you are avoiding onesies. Plus they don't have to go over baby's sensitive head.

The problem with dresses, even with little girls, is that they make learning to crawl and other gross motor movements harder. Even my princess almost never wore dresses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
No, I don't think I would. But I didn't use much dresses on my daughter when she was a baby either and pink isn't my favorite colour. So I've reused most of her baby clothes on my son.

·
Registered
12,040 Posts
My boys have worn pink diapers, shirts, etc but I draw the line at dresses. I wouldn't put a boy in a dress for anything other than dress up.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
No dresses for my son either.

Most of my kids spend their first year + of life in a diaper with a t-shirt, or a diaper with nothing on top. Maybe some babylegs. I only 'dress' them when I have to!

·
Registered
544 Posts
Mmm nah, dresses were a pain in the rear for my oldest dd when I didn't know any better & kept her in them. When she started face planting while trying to crawl I decided to never use them again except for maybe planned photography.

So if I hated the things on my girls..I'm not putting them on my son

·
Registered
6,294 Posts
I totally did it. Not every day, but as a part of the regular wardrobe, sure.

I have two boys and a whole box of simple smock dresses my grandma made for me and my sisters back in the day. I'd put them on my toddler boys in the summer, especially when they were playing with the water table in the backyard, but out and around, too. It made changing them so much easier. And they looked so darn cute. (Actually, they looked exactly like me in old photos.)

I could care less whether people thought they were girls.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2lilsweetfoxes View Post
Well, up until the last 100 years or so, all small children and babies wore dresses. However, I'd probably remove the lace and ribbons and maybe dye them more "neutral" colors for a boy.

Personally, though, I'd scrub the wardrobe for anything that could go either way and not use the dresses for a boy. Although I think my son would look right dapper with a kilt.
What do you mean 100 years? I have pictures of my dad in dresses as a baby. He was born in 1942.

My DH wouldn't allow it. I think he has some gender issues. Boys can't do anything too girly, etc.

·
Registered
4,612 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by lotus.blossom View Post
I think I am pretty open minded but I wouldn't put my son in a dress. I mean he's worn them before for silliness and dress up but as regular clothing. Nope. A long shirt, yes. A pink shirt? Why not? But very obvious girl clothing, no.
:
I personally don't like dresses anyways. Even if I was having a girl I wouldn't put her in a dress. I pretty much hate them.

I did however order a diaper that was "raspberry" and when it came it was undeniably PINK like
: pink. Oh well, if my son feels demasculated by a diaper, hes got more coming.

Creepers, long shirts, those sleeper bags, those are all fair game. Kids are genderless until they are older anyway.

·
Registered
895 Posts
I have a hello kitty denium dress that just may end up on my boy, if I don't sew it into pants. I don't care under a certain age they won't remember and besides unless you take them out all the time who is going to see the dresses besides you? I have two pink onesies he will wear too.

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
i have not read the other replies so far but i voted yes. i put lots of dresses on my son as a small child. up until probably 1 1/2?! he liked them and i did too. it was fine by me! and his daddy too

he is now 6 and all boy :p

1 - 20 of 78 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.