Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
776 Posts
we use the all in one rompers and overalls w/out any issues and w/out going up a size...we have all carters and oshgosh here and haven't had an issue, but i do have skinny babies so that may be why we stay in the 'age appropriate' size...we also use wool longies so we have the pants and cover all in one
they are REALLY nice in the fall/winter!!

·
Registered
896 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nora'sMommy View Post
Just curious what you mamas do to accomodate that large cloth covered tush. Is putting baby in larger sizes or never using one piece items all that I can do?

thanks
How old is the baby?

From birth until 9m, he was 1 size up due to his length and everything we had fit fine even over our "typical" combo (prefold+whisper wrap). I had some problems with the overnight prefold+fleece cover fitting under sleepers but gave up on the fleece cover because he could out-pee it.

This past summer, I had problems with 12m shorts fitting over prefolds (but not BG) so most of his non-overall shorts were 18m. Overalls are WONDERFUL for cloth diapers btw, both as shorts and pants, because they are cut very big in the butt.

For this winter, I have 4 pairs of 18m overalls which have lots of excess room in the butt despite the cloth diaper. I have 1 pair of 24m jeans from Children's Place and need to figure out how to use their waist extender (denim is about the most non-stretchy material you can find). I have 1 pair of 18m cords from Children's Place which stretch a bit and fit fine over a prefold+cover.

For sleepers: I have a couple of 18m Carter's sleepers which fits fine. The 12-18m Old Navy sleeper is starting to get tight, but so are all his Old Navy 12-18m stuff, not just the bottoms.

(He's 14m right now.)

·
Registered
3,971 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nora'sMommy View Post
Just curious what you mamas do to accomodate that large cloth covered tush. Is putting baby in larger sizes or never using one piece items all that I can do?

thanks
Gerber onsie brandname body suits fit well.

Any brand of one-piece romper fits well, usually just buy according to actual weight, but there are a few exceptions where the crotch won't snap unless we sized up.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Usually we just get a size up. One thing I thought about doing with some of the one piece shirts and onesies was just cutting off the bottom-where it snaps at the crotch and hemming it so it was just a nice long shirt that could be tucked in. It seemed like I was always having trouble with the length of onesies. Mostly I just don't worry about it, I can always put her in one of her trimmer cloths or a sposie if I have a special outfit for a special occasion. I buy all of my stuff at garage sales and thrift stores so I don't feel so bad if I get it home and it doesn't fit over the diaper

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
I've not had a problem with clothes fitting over the cloth diapers. Well, except for some sleepers going over her nighttime dipe, but it's a bit bigger than her daytime dipe. My daughter tends to outgrow things lengthwise, regardless of her diaper.

Crystal

·
Registered
450 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
hmmmm.......I guess my ds just has a long torso? He just turned 4 months and I think about 25" long. I have him in 6 month sleepers and they are pulling down at the neck but his feet don't reach the footies and the sleeves need to be rolled.

thanks for the suggestions though!

·
Registered
391 Posts
We never had any issues. I do have small skinny babies, but they were usually in one size smaller than their "size" even with cloth diapers. We never had to size up for the diapers. We mainly used prefolds, either pinned or snappied. The only time the clothes seemed a little snug was with one piece sleepers and huge night time diapers. The carter onsies always seemed to have plenty of room. A lot of our clothing was carters and old navy.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Hanna Andreson wiggle pants are nice but I love Kate Quinn straight pant. He wore size 0-3 until he was like 4 mo atleast. At that point I think he was in 6 mo carter onesies. He only had 1 pair b/c they are pricey but my first choice by far. We always size up. If anything they will grow into it. No biggee.

HTH

·
Registered
552 Posts
I second Kate Quinn Organics. Pricey, but well worth it. Carters works well for us too. My barely 4 month old, 18 lb-er is 28 inches long, so we've had to upsize as well.

·
Registered
3,136 Posts
argh, you naughty naughty mama, linking that zutano site!
now i want to buy all manner of expensive baby clothes!

my dd is looong at 4m and 26+"--we do 6-9m onesies and they work fine. other than that, it's dresses. i am also hoping to get a stash of longies for when it gets colder

·
Premium Member
1,493 Posts
I like the Zutano stuff and the stuff from here: http://store.americanapparel.net/babies.html

Esp the karate pants. I like that they are stretchy and accomodate a fitted with a wool cover but the pants aren't too long. I do size up in all the American Apparel stuff, but find that Zutano is fairly true to size.

·
Registered
98 Posts
My ds and dd have really long torsos/short legs, so we always have to do 2-piece outfits and never a snap crotch. I am always looking for pants that are relatively wide in the waist/butt and short in the legs. Ankle elastic is good too. Most of the time dd is in a cloth diaper and a shirt. We pop on shoes and overalls to go out.

·
Registered
635 Posts
THis is actually one of my biggest pet peeves... I have a chubby baby... 3 months 17 1/2 pounds! So we have big issues with clothes fitting with cloth diapers! I size up big time and deal with legs that are too long! sleepers I wear are really big but fit on the bum!

·
Registered
419 Posts
I've had luck with Gymboree. Also, anything one-piece is great. Fabric with some give and stretch is a plus, too. Overalls, and footless sleeper-type outfits worked. Now that Noah is 2, he's suddenly fitting into 2T pants regardless of the diaper. Babies are definitely tougher, though.

We purchased a few Swaddlebees pockets to get mileage out of those "sposies-only" type outfits. They are super-trim, and I had enough to diaper for the better part of a day. This definitely isn't necessary, though.

·
Registered
193 Posts
We got some snap-in extenders for our onesies at One Step Ahead. Those worked great! The other thing we did was buy onesies that run bigger. Luvable Friends is a brand that runs really, really big (my 40lb 3yo still CD'd DD still wears them). I got them at Amazon. Check out the size chart! Also, JCPenney's makes all kinds of cute and REALLY cheap stretchy clothes that mix and match really well. I LOVE their stuff and I've never had to use the crotch extenders with them, and we wear BIG dipes (Loveybums organic cotton fitteds with an added Babykicks hemparoo soaker with a Loveybums wool jersey cover). Plus, Penney's has great sales justa about every week!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.