Mothering Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've heard of this idea from moms who birth inthe hospital where they pack a little gift type bag for dad that has things like coins for the vending machine, and crossword puzzels and such to keep him entertained during early labor.
I've like to adapt the idea for a home birth with a slightly more involved dad. And I am looking for ideas on how to do that.

So far I've thought of:

a nice pen and pad for tracking contractions

Some tennis balls(for applying coounter pressure/massage)

a sodoku book

Some fruit snacks

My hubby all ready has a new dad shirt so that can't really go in there unless I find another really awesome one. (or can come up with an idea to stencil one)

we have cell phones so a phone card is really not nessicary, and we have internet access on the phones as well.

I'd love some other ideas for things I might be able to put in there!

·
Registered
1,026 Posts
For us, either way, home birth or hospital, I include these things for DH in my bag (we're heading to the hospital, but even if we were at home, I'd have a bag or bin, b/c I'm a packer/advance list maker ...)

-Refillable water bottle + gatorade powder OR prepackaged gatorade bottles

-One of his digital watches (he runs/races, so he has a few, I'd stash one in there)

-Flashlight/headlamp -- if room is dim/dark & he wanted to read or something

-Fresh (new or clean) socks, underwear & teeshirt if labour/delivery goes long (even at home, I'd want these items to be guaranteed to be clean, not stuck in laundry limbo, and I'd want them close at hand)

-If my DH would wear flipflops, I'd include a pair, in case the shoes he was wearing were not comfy

-A couple magazines he enjoys but doesn't subscribe to, or ones he does subscribe to but hasn't read yet (I swipe them directly from the mailbox to pack for camping trips all the time)

-Some sort of travel game, either 2 player or one player -- electric keychain tetris or travel connect4, something that doesn't require super concentration, but kills time if needed.

-his video MP3 player & headphones.

Not all *new* things, but all things he wouldn't think to grab on his own :)

I WILL NOT include the Scholastic Australian Joke book that he read from during my labour with DS, those jokes were so goofy, and stuck in my head for months after that. Our doula was Australian, and she was entertained by them, but I was not loving them at all. He'd bought the book from a school book order when he was 11 or so, and found it while we were getting DS's nursery ready ... I think it's lost again, and I hope it stays that way till after baby is born!

·
Registered
216 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynEpona View Post

For us, either way, home birth or hospital, I include these things for DH in my bag (we're heading to the hospital, but even if we were at home, I'd have a bag or bin, b/c I'm a packer/advance list maker ...)

-Refillable water bottle + gatorade powder OR prepackaged gatorade bottles

-One of his digital watches (he runs/races, so he has a few, I'd stash one in there)

-Flashlight/headlamp -- if room is dim/dark & he wanted to read or something

-Fresh (new or clean) socks, underwear & teeshirt if labour/delivery goes long (even at home, I'd want these items to be guaranteed to be clean, not stuck in laundry limbo, and I'd want them close at hand)

-If my DH would wear flipflops, I'd include a pair, in case the shoes he was wearing were not comfy

-A couple magazines he enjoys but doesn't subscribe to, or ones he does subscribe to but hasn't read yet (I swipe them directly from the mailbox to pack for camping trips all the time)

-Some sort of travel game, either 2 player or one player -- electric keychain tetris or travel connect4, something that doesn't require super concentration, but kills time if needed.

-his video MP3 player & headphones.

Not all *new* things, but all things he wouldn't think to grab on his own :)

I WILL NOT include the Scholastic Australian Joke book that he read from during my labour with DS, those jokes were so goofy, and stuck in my head for months after that. Our doula was Australian, and she was entertained by them, but I was not loving them at all. He'd bought the book from a school book order when he was 11 or so, and found it while we were getting DS's nursery ready ... I think it's lost again, and I hope it stays that way till after baby is born!
That is super helpful! I think I can get him a stopwatch or something, and I hadn't thought of the water bottle. And the laundry is a great one too. Thanks!
I'll take any more anyone can think of!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.