Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
AAAAAAAAh I have a 4 month old! I went back to work one full day last week and at 4:00 I came home (DH works nights) and little Ruby only took 1oz from the bottle/spoon the whole day (9 hours). She seemed content/lazy though, not screaming. I remember reading on here that some babies sleep that long without intake, but it was sooo hot that day. I worry about dehydration. Yes we cosleep and I think we are reverse cycling but it makes me nervous she's getting next to nothing all that time. She only nurses a couple times in the night I think. I came home at lunch the rest of the week and this week but I can't do that any more (environmental program starts tomorrow!)

On top of that, I lost my entire freezer stash I worked all summer to get in the power outage.

Then I find out the electric pump is broken. I had to run out and get a PIS and pay full price. Why am I doing this? She's not going to drink it anyway!!!!! But what if she suddenly is starved? I need some support from you mamas! I have to pump in a dark supply closet with no heat/air because I don't really get a break. I eat lunch with the 5th graders. I really love my job though, its just we don't have a good space right now.

Do I really need to pump? I have a great supply so far. I will usually be away from her 6 or maybe 7 hours. (I once pumped 5oz from one breast in 5 min!) What about solids? I really wanted to wait for 6 months for solids but she seems interested already..would this help get her through the day?

Will she just take the bottle/cup when she's hungry? OK I need to calm down I think. I'm trying, really I am. Thanks for listening..er i mean reading.

·
Registered
2,974 Posts
OMG you poor thing. What an awful time you're having. I'm so sorry to hear about you losing your freezer stash.

I'm sure, with time, she'll get used to feeding when you're not there. My dd is terrible still at taking a bottle or sippy cup but I don't work so it's not a huge issue. I'd try experimenting with sippy cups too with and without the valve - my dd likes the cheap, hard nasty one from CVS and won't touch the nice, soft expensive Avent cup. I'd keep at it for a bit to give her a chance to catch on to bottles/sippy cups before thinking about solids. If she was starting to lose weight, then I'd consider giving solids.

Re going 6-7 hours without pumping. Usually I'd say no, squeeze in a pump session... but like you say, she's reverse cycling so as long as she nursing frequently at night, it would probably be ok. I mean some of us are getting 6-7 hours sleep at night without nursing and our supply ain't drying up. Also the first 3 months are the most important for establishing your supply and you're past that. I hate to think of you in that supply closet

edited to add - if you're concerned about hydration, check she's having enough wet diapers and they're clear not yellow.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.