Mothering Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
About 3 days ago up until yesterday, so about 2 days I guess, I have been feeling mildly nasueated and having lots BH night and day.
Cut to yesterday and the baby definitely is a lot lower than she was before. I asked DH if I looked different when I got home from work and he said my stomach looked much much lower. So thats all well and good, I'm 33 weeks and it was bound to happen sometime soon.

However, my normally extremely active and strong DD has really slowed down in the fetal kicks department. She is still hiccuping and I get the occasional kick but nothing like before, she would kick hard for nearly 5 or 6 minutes straight and was always extremely active around 5am/5pm. Now she has kicked periodically but there is far more of the "nothing" in between.

Is something that happens when a baby drops? I am trying to not freak myself out because I just had a MW apt tuesday and heartbeat was strong everything looked great etc. Worthy of calling the MW? I don't know because I don't know what happens when a baby drops, do they run out of space? I don't have a home doppler so I can't check it myself but am thinking if this keeps on until Monday I need to call her. Is that not cautious enough or am I being overly cautious? I don't know, neither does DH

The only reason I haven't called yet is because I still feel random kicks at times, just not nearly the same frequency or as hard.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
I've noticed some changes in this department as well, she probably is just running out of space. Also, if she's dropped lower I think that can sometimes inhibit some of the moving that you used to feel. My mw told me yesterday that this might happen, but I should know by now that there are certain times during the day when she is more active than others, and that shouldn't really change. Is your LO still active at the same times she used to be? Like after dinner, mid-afternoon, whenever you used to notice the most activity? If so, she's probably just hit a little growth spurt and moved lower.

It wouldn't hurt to call your mw if it'll give you some piece of mind though!

·
Registered
1,787 Posts
Your baby has probably just gotten into a position that you cannot feel the kicks as hard. BUt if you are worried call your MW and talk to her. Have you tried drinking or eating something really cold to see if that increases the movements?

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
That was what I was thinking, maybe dropping lower she has less room to wiggle and kick yk?

I think I am just overly nervous because I don't know whats normal or not. She is still kicking her most active times are right at 5am generally and 5pm...Like clockwork she is still kicking a little bit around then so I am not totally freaking out. Just worries and more worries.

I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a LO dropping and then a decrease in movement. It would make sense in my mind, I wish I had a doppler to use, where do people rent one of those?

·
Registered
4,476 Posts
I personally wouldn't be concerned knowing the baby dropped. The position of the baby can affect what you actually feel quite a lot. If there was NOTHING, I'd be worried. Since the baby dropped, baby could have also turned some so that movements are more toward the back, which you wouldn't really feel.

·
Registered
1,966 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nolansmum View Post
Your baby has probably just gotten into a position that you cannot feel the kicks as hard. BUt if you are worried call your MW and talk to her. Have you tried drinking or eating something really cold to see if that increases the movements?
I agree. If she's posterior, you won't be feeling her kicks as much b/c they'll be at your back.

However, definitely ANY doubt and have it checked out. Better safe than sorry!

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the replies. I hadn't really considered how her changing positions could affect feeling movements. I am not worried about her dropping, that part is exciting! I am just used to be karate kicked all the time!

She is still kicking me although because they are less strong feeling, I am going to guess she has moved into some new position. She likes to hiccup a lot which is comforting to me and DH, its nice to know she's in there!

I think she wants to assure me all is well because I just got a few taps against my stomach, allbeit much lower than they were before!

I don't know how people handle the worry over and over again with more kids!

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Smithie View Post
You stop worrying about it after the first kid

Not really. Read my thread about 'on my way to ER' it's on the first page of our board right now. This is my second child, and if anything, I'm more cautious this time

Decrease in movement is always a reason to at least call the MW. I went in yesterday of my own insistence. DR was telling me to monitor at home, but I knew something was different - I was right, babe had flipped posterior.

Even if you go get monitored and it ends up being nothing, it will give you peace of mind - which is good for you and your babe.

It can't hurt to call!

·
Registered
382 Posts
I just had a lot of conversations about decreased movement because of the pre-e. Here it goes... You should be able to count 6 kicks in any 2 hr period hiccups don't count. Babies will wake up usually within 45 min. Drink juice or water or eat something relax and take a moment. Also it should alway have moved within 1.5 hrs. good luck!

·
Banned
1,984 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by j_p_i View Post
I thought it was 10 movements in a two hour period? Just something I read and am curious about it.
I have read 10 kicks in 2 hours as well. Yesterday I timed them probably 4 times and she was great. Also started kicking strongly again. I called my MW and updated her yesterday evening and she said to continue the counts and if I notice a decrease again I will come in. She said basically what everyone has said, changing positions etc. She was glad that the kicks picked back up and said if I noticed a decrease at all to call her and we'll get her on the doppler to make sure everything is ok. Today thus far she has been kicking regularly and strongly so I am feeling far less nervous than I was.

I think it's the first time I was really nervous and poor DH was nervous too. Just something to keep an eye on I suppose!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.