Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

· Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, mamas, I fought the good fight as long as my body held out, which was until the wee hours of Wednesday morning. Then I got some wicked heartburn that wouldn't go away, so I finally called L&D and went in to have more labs drawn to see what was going on.

My kidneys and liver were not doing well, so I was induced via the full gamut o'interventions -- pitocin, magnesium sulfate, and epidural, plus abx for the group B strep culture I hadn't gotten around to doing yet. Basically, everything I hadn't wanted in my planned HBAC, sigh.

Yet my HBMW was there through the whole thing with me, she was amazing, the induction went very smoothly and he arrived vaginally (so I did get my VBAC at least) in under 5 hrs., quite pink and beautiful!

Birth stats: Duncan Edmund was 6 lbs. 6 oz., 19 1/2 inches long at 35w. He's a bruiser in the NICU, lol! Very sweet and snuggly, still very sleepy, but we'll get there on bfing; I've been down the preemie bfing road before.

Here's a pic: http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d5...5/IMG_3223.jpg

Unfortunately for me, I ended up with a pretty severe PPH -- they finally got the bleed stopped literally just short of wheeling me into radiology to surgically close my uterine arteries.
Ugh. I'm a redhead and I do tend to bleed a lot with my births, but nothing like this has ever happened before. They think it's b/c I developed HELLP this time around, so my blood wasn't clotting properly. My platelets and hematocrit/hemoglobin have just plummeted. So I'm still taking it VERY easy, but tonight they announced they think I'm over the worst of it and I think I've avoided a transfusion, so that's good. I'm taking liquid chlorophyll, Floradix, and have eaten 3 placenta smoothies, a spinach salad, and a steak, all today, lol! My hemoglobin is somewhere around 7 and my hematocrit around 20, I think, so I need to get it back up.

We are so very done having babies, but I'm so grateful that Duncan and I are both here and will ultimately be well. I don't regret having HBMW care AT ALL, even though I didn't get to birth at home. My MW was phenomenal and I received (and continue to receive) incredible care.

I'll update again when I get released from the hospital (which I suspect will be before Duncan is, although hopefully not too long!)

Guin

· Registered
594 Posts
Oh, Guin, baby Duncan is GORGEOUS!!! What a perfectly pink and plump little package! I'm sorry you had to go through the interventions, but it sounds like they went as smoothly as one could have hoped and the outcome, of course, is your perfect little man!

I hope you feel physically stronger soon and that you get your levels back up without any struggle.

Congrats, mama!

· Registered
271 Posts
He is adorable! I love his fuzzy little head! I'm so glad you got the VBAC, even though it didn't go at all as planned. Sounds like you have a terrific midwife! I hope you feel better soon!

· Registered
261 Posts
welcome duncan!
he is so sweet looking--chub-a-lub!

and, as said, the interventions sound scary, but it sounds like it went as well as they can all be expected. congrats! i don't know how you folks who have more than 2 do it

xo.

· Registered
1,678 Posts
CONGRATS! You did a GREAT FABULOUS job. You should be proud. And holy cats! He's as big as Charlotte was at 38w 1d! And he looks fatter too LOL.

I bet he gets released very very soon!!!

Hoping you feel 100% very soon. Welcome to the world, baby Duncan!

· Registered
1,332 Posts
Congrats mama. . . i know that was all worth it cause he is a cutie!

(i'm a red head too and i am hoping not to bleed a lot, but it stinks that we bleed more!)

· Registered
219 Posts
CONGRATS mama!!!! He is absolutely beautiful and looks so healthy. We have the same due date so I'm amazed by how big he is.

Best wishes to you both to get home soon!

· Registered
439 Posts
Welcome Duncan! Wow mama you went through so much I hope your recovery continues to go well!! Enjoy your baby moon!
Warmly,
Erin

· Registered
3,077 Posts
first off, duncan is such a little cutie! awwww......really guin he is just precious, congratulations, you have your baby!

i'm sorry you didn't get your HB, i know how disappointing that can be. i'm happy to hear the induction went so well and you got your VBAC whooohooo!

i hope to hear you and Duncan are snuggling at home together very soon.

· Registered
1,058 Posts
Guin! My hero! I'm so proud of you. You made it so far! Duncan is ADORABLE! Sorry to hear about your bleeding issues, but it sounds like things are coming around wonderfully. Enjoy your VBAC babymoon mama!!!

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.