Mothering Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS (14 months) has had some issues with moderate eczema - at its worst at about six months of age and now mostly better with occasional mild flare ups. I want to put him in swimming lessons but am worried about the chlorine making it worse and I'd like some suggestions on how to prevent that. I was thinking fresh water rinse right after swimming followed by oil or cream - open to product recommendations and other ideas. Thanks.

·
Registered
496 Posts
<p>Actually the chlorine might improve the eczema-- bleach baths (putting a small amount of household bleach in a tub to replicate a swimming pool environment) are recommended for people with severe eczema and psoriasis.  Rinse him afterward but I would not worry!</p>

·
Registered
777 Posts
<p>My boys both have pretty bad eczema.  The few times I have taken them to public swimming it made their skin so bad I battled the eczema flare up for weeks after.  To me the swimming lessons aren't worth it because they both scratch themselves raw afterwards.  You might want to try going to public swimming and see how his skin handles it before paying for lessons.</p>

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
<p>I'm happy to report that we've been swimming several times in the last week and had no skin troubles as a result!  Just rinsed him off after and no rashes.  Yay!</p>

·
Registered
13 Posts
<p>Frugalmum, I've read this as well! I have to admit though - I'm nervous about putting my daughter in bleach!</p>

1 - 5 of 5 Posts