Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 66 Posts

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DS just seems to be understimulated a lot by the toys he has right now. He has one TinyLove mobile that he just seems to not be able to get enough of....it really stimulates him, and he'll be in there laughing away at it. Someone recommended I try some Baby Einstein DVD's for him....thoughts? I am not wanting to introduce TV to him this early, but if it really will keep his attention, it might be alright? Thoughts?

·
Registered
879 Posts
IMO, I would stay away from them. I recieved 2 of them from well meaning relatives that said I "needed" them. I watched one of them and they are SOOOOO not worth sitting your child in front of (besides mentioning all the negatives of early TV watching but thats another issue!). They basically act as a babysitter with very simple images that hold a babies attention. I honestly wouldn't bother. At 4 months, just watching you is a great stimulator!

Diana

·
Registered
6,364 Posts
I remember that stage with ds. Right around four months he just seemed like he needed to soak up way more than I was providing him. Going outside a lot really helped. And getting out and about to spend time visiting with people, interacting with folks even in the grocery store and at the post office was helpful. The more interaction he got at that age, the happier he seemed. We also started finding all the interesting household objects we had and rotating them into ds' world one or two at a time. He liked paper too, and because he wanted to chew on it and rip it up, we gave him Nori (paper like Seaweed). He really didn't ingest much, if any, but I knew it wasn't going to harm him like paper dyes if he did ingest some. Oh, and a couple times we hit a high quality local toy store and added a couple key items to his collection. But mostly, the key was getting outdoors constantly, visting with people as much as possible, and keeping interesting objects from our daily lives available for exploration.

I wouldn't judge someone for doing it, but I personally would not do Baby Einstein. All of my instincts scream "no" when it comes to tv for babies. In my house, we don't really have a tv. Well, we do have a tv, but no cable, and we keep our tv in a rolling cart in the garage and have to pull it out when we want to watch something, like a movie.

Once when he was six months, ds was crying and crying and nothing soothed him, and in a moment of desperation I let him watch five or ten minutes of tv. I felt badly about it, but it helped distract him and then get calm again, and I vowed I'd never get in a habit. I haven't. ds is fifteen months and has watched maybe like fifteen minutes of tv total, the last five or ten minutes being accidental exposures at restaurants and stuff. When he's been exposed to tv, it is scary. His eyes glaze over. It's just passive "entertainment." I don't want that for ds, even if it is packaged to be marketed as educational.

Baby Einsteen videos are around because they sell. It's not a developmental thing, no matter what the advertising says. The research is out there, and the companies probably even know the truth. But tv for babies makes money because folks want to provide their children with every possible opportunity, and the way it is marketed, it makes it seem like if you don't have the videos for the babies, they are missing out on something that could help them learn. In fact, nothing could be further from the truth. Even the AAP recommends not tv for kids under, what, two? ds' neurodevelopmental therapist was so happy to not see a tv in our house. The number one thing that stimulates brain growth is *loving,* interactive, emotional, attentive relationships. That's why current stuff on nurturing children's intelligence potential is written in the context first of "emotional intelligence." The two are used often interchangeably.

I often think of the studies done with babies in one room with a video monitor, and parents in another room with a video monitor. The monitor connects each to a feed of the other, sound and visuals. The child is hooked up for monitoring of brain activity. First, the parent responds normally to the child, interacting via the video feed. The child responds positively, smiling, and interacting back. The brain monitors show a lot of action. Then, the parent does not respond. The child appears confused, then aggitated, then shuts down and becomes uninvolved. The brain monitors show little action. Finally, the parent responds normally, but the video is slowed down so that the child sees the parent doing all this wonderful, interactive stuff a minute or two after the parent does it. The same thing happens that occurs when the parent does not interact with the child at all. The child appears confused, then aggitated. Finally, the child disengages. The brain monitors show little action.

We all know a parent is a very stimulating sight for his/her child. But if there isn't the back and forth interaction, the stimulation fails. A tv is not interactive. It will not respond precisely to what your child does. So, it has little value in the life of the relationship-focused infant.

That's just my way of looking at things.

·
Registered
4,486 Posts
Get a gymini, go to your local consignment store and load up on toys, get a frickin' bumbo, but do not get the Baby Einstein! Anything but the Baby Einstein.

Because a) babies do not need TV b) BE is the biggest marketing jauggernaut to hit babymamas evah! c) Sierra and Madison are like, super annoying.

I speak from experience. I let my first daughter watch BE from 10 months on. Bad, bad, bad idea. Think baby crack, but worse. Serious withdrawal behavior.

Stay away from the baby einstein crack, mama.

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
Why do you think he needs more stimulation? I'd definitely stay away from BE at this age. Why do you need something to keep his attention? If I knew more about what exactly the problem is I'd have better recomendations. My first thought is try wearing him more often.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manda316
just a question whats wrong with a baby watching tv?
More like, what's right about a baby watching tv? What does it accomplish? How does it benefit him?

·
Registered
2,882 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Carrin
DS just seems to be understimulated a lot by the toys he has right now. He has one TinyLove mobile that he just seems to not be able to get enough of....it really stimulates him, and he'll be in there laughing away at it. Someone recommended I try some Baby Einstein DVD's for him....thoughts? I am not wanting to introduce TV to him this early, but if it really will keep his attention, it might be alright? Thoughts?
NOOOO!

Seriously, no.

Really.

I don't agree with everything the American Academy of Pediatrics asserts, but one of their strong recommendations is that children not be exposed to television (by which they also mean videos, computer screens, and DVDs) before age 2.

As far as I see it, if the AAP tells me not to let my kid watch TV, I don't see how they make one thin dime from my decision. Even if everyone in the world followed their advice, I don't see them getting a penny richer.

OTOH, if the Baby Einstein people tell me it's fine, they stand to make a great deal of money from me and from everyone else if everyone bought their tape.

To me, their motive seems clear -- and it's not "to serve the best interests of children."

If you're asking (which you are), I would say that interaction with your child is a million times -- no, an incalculable quantity -- better than any video.

Read to him.
Take him to the zoo.
Take him on a walk and talk to him -- point things out, let your mind ramble, have a one-sided conversation with him.
Read to him.
Play games with him -- introduce him to different textures, different sounds. Play music for him and dance to it. Have him finger paint with safe paints and make a gigantic mess.
Read to him.

Oh, and did I mention reading?

·
Registered
1,690 Posts
I second the idea of taking your babe outside.
Honestly we as a culture are way too into overstimulating our kids.

There is SO much we NEED to BUY to parent our kids.

Not true. I've got three. With each one we have less around, less stuff, less baby gear, less toys. This one is the happiest, granted that's his nature but we're also happier with less.

How stimulated do you want your babe to be? More is not necessarily better.
We could all do with a little quiet time. I think it's great when my 4 month is lying down--being quiet--but just taking in the room and working his arms and legs.

TV is harmful to children. I can't find the exact link right now, but one thing is that it's not good for their eyes. It is not part of normal development to sit and stare at the manufactured colors and sounds. They don't move. They don't even move their head at all. Step back and watch people any age watching TV. It's a huge thing, but my kids are 90% tv free and we're all so much better for it.

Plus you just don't need to start the TV habit. It's a slippery slope.

·
Registered
308 Posts
What they all said. TV is bad for kids, especially small babies. Their little brains and eyes are just not equipped to process the way the images move. And anyway, it's a totally passive form of entertainment -- at that age your baby really needs things that s/he can engage with interactively! Toys to hold in hands and explore with mouth; the full-body sensory stimulation of the outside world; and of course your arms/lap, your voice, your smell. These are the best forms of "edutainment" for your child right now.

-Joan

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
My DS is 9 mo old, first child, so everything is kind first experience, fly by the seat of your pants.

My take on infants between 4-9 mo is their job is to learn life in this family. By 4 mo, they kind of got the eating, pooping/ diaper changing (or in our case EC)/sleeping-tired/what the different rooms and sounds of their "homes" concepts down. So they are beginning to learn the intricacies: this corner, that wall, this line of books, the way things sound if you bang them, roll them, change of color and light, etc. They are also learning their parents do certain things, like vacuum, sweep, brush their teeth, talk on the phone.

For my DS, investigating invariably involved turning it over and over, trying to shake it, trying to roll it, then sticking it in his mouth and biting (if possible). So an encounter with a broom would involve knocking it over, poking, etc.

So to me, TV is teaching a babe a wrong skill. I don't want DS to learn he can sit in front of a plastic box and images will automatically flit across. If he wants to see different images, then he can flip through a picture book.

But at 4 mo, my DS basically was content if I was carrying him which I tried to do all the time. Do you have a good carrier? I would recommend the Ergo.

·
Registered
514 Posts
My son is four months old and very much in the *entertain me constantly or I'll scream* phase
We don't do TV - however, I find that he just LOVES being included in my daily routine and it keeps him stimulated. I carry him 24/7 and talk to him about everything I am doing all day long. Like, when I cook, I put him in front of me in a bouncy and sit at the kitchen table. I tell him what I am doing, show him everything that I pick up, and say "Joshua! LOOK!! it's a cucmber! Isn't this cool??" then he laughs, and i have a few secionds to do my chopping, LOL. the same goes for working at home. he site on my lap while I stock my store & print orders and I tell him all about each order. then we go upstairs and I show him the things I am packing up, explain them, make faces at him, etc. His favorite part of the day is going to the post office with me and getting attention from EVERYONE there. He ALWAYS comes home happy and in need of a nap from the OVER STIMULATION! haha.

Basically, I would do anything to keep him away from the TV / baby einstein stuff! I fInd that babies (well at least, both of mine) are/were stimulated plenty at this age as long as they feel very included in my daily routine and get out of the house for a while every day!

Hope that helps.

·
Registered
4,949 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Manda316
just a question whats wrong with a baby watching tv?
Do a search for previous threads on this issue--there are some great links to studies showing that watching TV actually alters babies' brains. They are simply not designed to process those kinds of images.

·
Registered
3,200 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So much good advice....a million thank you's!

·
Registered
1,529 Posts
I read somewhere that the baby einstein creators are actually being sued for false advertising...I wish i could find a link...
oh and for the record doesn't the video itself say for babies 1 year and older?
I for one have 3 barnd new never been open BE videos that were given to us as gifts...yuck...I don't even want to give them away...if you can't get outside, put your baby facing a window and he can watch real life...

·
Banned
4,450 Posts
The Campaign for a Commercial Free Childhood is sueing the makers of Baby Einstein videos for false advertising. The video makers claim the movies are educational when the american academy of pediatricians and most other child health groups use research to support the opinion that children should not be watching movies before the age of two and that watching them earlier than that is actually the opposite of educational.

·
Registered
464 Posts
As a former music teacher, I just wanted to add that the "intellectually stimulating classical music," or however Baby Einstein likes to advertise it, is really poorly performed on a cheap synthesizer. Go to the library and get a CD with a real orchestra playing real instruments performing the songs--it'll be a million times more valuable. My eighth grade trombonists could probably have done a better job than the Baby Einstein people!

·
Registered
5,727 Posts
Really, I have nothing new to add to the comments already posted, other than to say Baby Einstein is a money-making sham and IMHO, nothing more than a quick fix guilt soother for parents who think it's okay to let the TV be their babysitter.
: Yep. It's that bad.

Anyway, add us to the list of parents who aren't exposing our child to TV (that includes DVDs, etc.) until after age two.

We also don't buy the Baby Einstein toys either, because I refuse to support them.

*BUT* I do turn on the XM radio classical station quite often, for Guinevere to listen to, but the TV screen is turned off and the music is pumped straight through the stereo system. But if and when the TV is on and it catches the baby's attention, either the baby's attention is redirected immediately, or the TV is turned off.

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.