Mothering Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
354 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a coffee grinder i use for grinding grains, legums, and seeds but want a small blender or something for fruits and veggies. i used to have a small food processor that i used for ds1 but it broke. i have a huge food processor that is just too big and a blender which i also find to be too big. so far i have seen:

the magic bullet
Tribest® Personal Blen
PORTABLE, MANUAL BabySteps Food Mill from KIDCO®

any suggestions?
what do you use?

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
I don't. Just give your babe bits of real food--they don't need purees if you wait until they're ready (around 6mo).

Those baby food mills seem like a total waste of money. If you insist on doing purees, a potato masher or a fork works just as well.

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
I wouldn't bother doing purees for an over 6month baby with no oral problems, but if you have a special need for purees how about a mini-food processor? My stick-mixer (great for blending soups in the pot) has a food processor attachment that's wonderful for things like quickly chopping an onion.

·
Registered
46 Posts
My experience/understanding is a food processor makes the food small (pureed) and the mill makes it squishy and removes tough skins, like on apricots or grapes, etc and bones from chicken and such.
I have both. The mill is slow and makes a small batch of food, but is portable. The processor is good for larger batches and freezing leftovers.

We have a Kitchen aid multi tool & love it. My cousin loves her Magic Bullet.

My 6 mo old insisted on solid food before she could chew soft bits of food. For us puree was/is the way to go.
Have fun!

·
Registered
27,052 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lusa's Mom View Post
My 6 mo old insisted on solid food before she could chew soft bits of food. For us puree was/is the way to go.
Have fun!
If purees are a regular part of your family's diet, couldn't you have just included one of those with all meals?

And how'd you keep the mess down?

If all I'm eating is a puree (hummus, guacamole, blended soup, yogurt) it's not too bad to give her a turn with a spoon, but I can't handle the mess that comes from making the puree a part of her meal if she's eating other things. She ends up taking a handful of the puree, then a handful of say, rice, and then tossing the now goopy rice hither and thither. And then after spreading the goop all over herself she wants to nurse. (
: sew apron)

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
I'm using a mini food processor (I think it's a cuisinart) for the things I'm pureeing for DS. I use it for prunes, which I give to him as a puree (my understanding is that he's too young for pieces of dried fruit...but he definitely benefits from the prunes to keep him "regular"...and they have iron). Also a puree from dried apricots. I also puree mango to mix into plain yogurt for him. And I've pureed green peas.

·
Registered
570 Posts
i have to recommend a babycook by Beaba. its a bit pricey but i love it! it has a steamer and blender combined or you can use it to defrost/warm frozen breastmilk. i use it all the time to steam veggies for the whole family and when ds2 is ready for solids i'lljust dump some into the blender and voila its ready and easy to clean (one container,one lid and one steamer basket). i also use it to make smoothies etc.

·
Registered
832 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by anomaly13 View Post
what do you use?
I own both the magic bullet (
)and the manual food mill. Both work great, but I ended up not using either as I now do BLW.

I will say though, that the bullet is nothing more than a small blender (and AWESOME, might I add - don't know how I lived without that silly thing - I use it ALL the time), but the food mill is GREAT for seperating things like skin and seeds.

They're so completely different, one isn't better than the other, IMO.

·
Premium Member
11,487 Posts
We had a manual baby grinder, Healthy Baby, I think the brand was with our first two children. But I have to agree that you are better off giving your LO small pieces of fruits and veggies, or whatever your family is eating. For most babies, purred baby food is completely unnecessary.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.