Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have no motherly instincts that I've been able to detect so always have to come here to the various boards for help...

I've been so happy I've almost been in tears to feed my baby Earth's Best baby food. I can't beleive how good the ingredient list sounds. Then I accidentally found this article while trying to find the size of Earth baby cases to order the cases from my co-op:

http://cspi.cc/reports/cheat1.html

I used to read things like, "barely flour" on the label and feel like it was super nutritious - it even added protein to mix to have the barely flour. Now after reading that article I wonder, is that just "filler"? I mean, a thread a few pages back talks about Gerber using corn starch - now that is filler, right? Would you consider barely flour a filler?

And yes, some of the jars, like one we used this morning, has water. It was bananna, apricot and oatmeal. Wouldn't that need water to make it the right consistency? It is a size 2 jar and 70 calories, so I don't think it was unnecesarily diluted, right?
Please help me feel good about feeding my baby this baby food! I mean, realistically, I'm not going to be able to prepare myself the variety I can buy from this company.

~Tracy

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
The article does say this:

Earth's Best uses no modified starches and minimal amounts of other thickening agents

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Babies don't need jar foods at all. Try feeding small pieces of what everyone else is eating, or soft fruits and veggies. If baby can't self feed yet, they're not ready for solids.

-Angela

·
Banned
11,133 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by alegna
Babies don't need jar foods at all. Try feeding small pieces of what everyone else is eating, or soft fruits and veggies. If baby can't self feed yet, they're not ready for solids.

-Angela
: I never fed my dc baby food. You never know what's in that stuff.

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well, what every one else is eating around here isn't all that healthy...

He has been adamantly refusing nursing at times, then will scarf down 2 whole jars of food, yet has no teeth. What should I do? Starve him until he nurses because he can't feed himself? I don't think he'd consume the baby food like that unless he was ready for it.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
How old is he? Sounds like a nursing strike honestly. 2 jars is a LOT of food for a baby. He needs to be getting his nutrition from breastmilk, not jars. Solids are just for fun in the first year.

-Angela

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi is just 7 months old tomorrow. I don't know how this happened. I did the same thing with my daughter, started her on solids at 6 months. She couldn't have cared less about them - had maybe one jar for a whole day plus some rice cereal. She was on the breast about 18 hours per day, I swear.

Now my little guy acts as if his very life depends on baby food. I was trying not to give him so much today. l didn't give him any this morning, and finally at about 12:30, after getting up from a nap and nursing, he seemed like he wanted to eat. He ate a whole jar of peas. I tried to clean him up but he started fussing and making mouth movements like he was still hungary, so I gave him 1/2 jars of pears.

To make matters worse, now he is constipated. I've been giving him the Earth's best, iron fortified rice cereal in the morning, made with my milk. After just 4 weeks, he has consumed more than 1/2 of the box. My dd never even finished her one and only box I bought, we threw it away - she was onto table food long before approaching the bottom of it. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

·
Registered
5,706 Posts
Wugmama- rice cereal, especially iron foritifed, can be very constipating. A great first food which is not constipating and super easy to make is avocado. Take a ripe avo and mash it up. If you want to thin it add a little water or breastmilk. That's it.

Oatmeal is also great to get things moving. Grind up the rolled oats in your food processor or blender until fine - then cook with water.

Also pears are laxitive - peel and cook pears in a little water until soft. Mash with fork or in a blender until smooth. You can make a big batch and freeze the leftovers in ice cube trays.

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wugmama
Hi is just 7 months old tomorrow. I don't know how this happened. I did the same thing with my daughter, started her on solids at 6 months. She couldn't have cared less about them - had maybe one jar for a whole day plus some rice cereal. She was on the breast about 18 hours per day, I swear.

Now my little guy acts as if his very life depends on baby food. I was trying not to give him so much today. l didn't give him any this morning, and finally at about 12:30, after getting up from a nap and nursing, he seemed like he wanted to eat. He ate a whole jar of peas. I tried to clean him up but he started fussing and making mouth movements like he was still hungary, so I gave him 1/2 jars of pears.

To make matters worse, now he is constipated. I've been giving him the Earth's best, iron fortified rice cereal in the morning, made with my milk. After just 4 weeks, he has consumed more than 1/2 of the box. My dd never even finished her one and only box I bought, we threw it away - she was onto table food long before approaching the bottom of it. Stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid, stupid.

Don't beat yourself up over it. You should read my gazillion posts about my son's constipation. I have had LOTS of help and advice from everyone. I've stopped doing baby food and now my son is just getting bite size pieces of foods. He's almost 9 months old and I just started him back on solids yesterday. He had 1/2 peach...that's it.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
No reason to beat yourself up mama. The companies are GOOD at convincing us that baby food is the way to go. BUT, since he's constipated, I would drop all cereal and spoon feeding. Nurse like crazy and give him chunks of ripe fruit if he wants to eat (peaches, pears, plums are all good to get things moving) nurse nurse nurse! That's what he needs.

When you know better, you do better.

-Angela

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good news. After just two days of no rice (or bananas) he worked through the hard stuff and is no longer constipated.

I must say, I have tried all of the baby food I've given him - it all tastes good (Earth's Best).

I feel better, he has nursed more today and had no rice and just two jars total - pears and peas.

I'm going to try avecado - I love it myself!

Thanks you guys.

~Tracy

·
Registered
3,764 Posts

Making your own baby "food" is surprisingly easy and waaaay cheaper!

Just like a pp mentioned, cook with a bit of water and mash. Freeze in ice cube trays after. I would take one day a week and just cook everything I could - carrots; sweet potatoes; apples; pears; etc. We did the oatmeal blender thing too but dd hated it. But she loved cream of wheat, go figure.

Once we got into a groove we wondered why we ever bought jarred food...

Sorry, I guess that was off topic. Give it a try though!

I'm such a moron I forgot to add that I'm glad to hear he's feeling better!

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Two jars is still an awful lot at only 7 months. Are you always nursing before every solids meal? That's important for the first year. About how many times a day is he nursing?

-Angela

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I am definetly trying to get him to nurse before ever offering him the solids. He just hasn't been a real avid nurser right from the get go. He never seems to want to just comfort nurse, either. I think in a 24 hour period he is nursing 5 to 7 times. Most of these are at night lately, too. He seems to go such long periods of time during the day without nursing. And I'm offering frequently too, I'm getting engorged during the day at times! With a 7 month old - a second baby at that!

I just don't know what to think. At first I thought - different babies need different things. And that he would self regulate. My original post was about the quality of Earth's Best - to see if others thought it was a good quality. I thought it was a good sign that he was such a good eater. Now I'm worried that he is eating too much solid food at the expense of not enough breast milk.

Why do I feel like I never know what I am doing with my kids? But I guess that is a topic for another thread in another forum.
:

·
Registered
2,307 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

·
Registered
403 Posts
Grains should NOT be fed to babies. especially the extruded ones (cereals) because they are very hard to digest. Babies have very little amylese and can't digest carbohydrates like that. Extruded cereals are just horrible, They have zero nutrition, constipating, hard to digest, mess up the gut, the olis are rancid and some proteins are toxic due to the extrusion process.
Baby's first solid should be egg yolks (yolks only) as they are full of good proteins, fats, cholesterol.
Don't get iron fortified foods. The body is designed to deal with iron from natural sources like eggs, meat, liver. green leafy vegetables, and properly prepared grains.
I second the advice on avocados and pears. Pears work great for my DD's constipation.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
With a child that seems reluctant to nurse I would be very careful and not spoon feed at all. He needs to be getting all the good nutrition in breastmilk.

-Angela

·
Banned
3,042 Posts
Quote:
I wised up after my third. No baby food here either. Would YOU want to eat it??
Have you ever tasted baby food? The fruits are pretty yummy. I used to eat them all the time.

I always fed my babies jarred food because they always kept different feeding schedules than the rest of us for whatever reason. I'm not going to cook something for a baby when I can open a jar of organic baby food.

·
Registered
3,764 Posts
...but its just as easy to pop out something from an ice cube tray and heat up, KWIM?

But hey, if people prefer jarred to homemade, its no worry to me.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.