Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do I absolutly have to wait until 4 months to try baby food? I know baby is only 3 months, but I really want to try it. So do I have to wait?
:

·
Registered
7,499 Posts
I would never ever ever ever give a 3 month old baby food. WHO and AAP recommends exclusively breastfeeding for the first 6 months. Babies do not need food before then. The thing with starting foods earlier is that their little bellies aren't ready for solids yet. It also increases their risk of having allergies. IMHO I would defenitely wait a while longer.

PS. Just because YOU want to start solids doesn't mean that your baby wants to start solids, you need to wait until your baby gives cues that he/she is ready.

·
Registered
5,249 Posts
Um, yeah, it's a good idea. I wouldn't stick with a certain time schedule, but wait until you have to fend your baby off from attacking your food before you try it. I strongly feel that the baby MUST show interest in food before you try to give it to him/her. Whether that happens at 4 mo or 8 mo or a year, it doesn't matter, but they have to want it. And yes, feeding a baby real food is fun, but it should be fun for BOTH of you.

ETA: The new WHO recommendations are for 6 mo, not 4. But for me that was a ballpark figure, not an absolute.

·
Registered
42,824 Posts
Wait until at least 6months! That's the minimum!

Breastmilk is the nutrition that babies need for the whole first year. Solids are just for fun.

Before solids ALL of the below should be met:

at LEAST 6 months
sitting unassisted
no tongue thrust
pincher grasp
ability to put food in mouth.

THEN baby should mostly self feed.

-Angela

·
Registered
3,684 Posts
NO SOLIDS!! What's the rush? BM is fine even for the first year, My DS is 10mo and we just started him with solids again, we tried at 6mo but there was not point in giving him puree stuff that he mostly spit out. Now that he can chew better, we just feed him off our plates, I would wait untill your baby is atleast 6mo or longer.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I can understand how exciting and how fun it SOUNDS to start baby foods. I can totally empathize with you there. But it is definitely better for the babe to wait. And I think it is even more fun to watch your babe literally steal food off your plate, out of your hand as you're about to take a bite, etc. That to me is the biggest sign that a baby is ready for solid foods.

·
Registered
4,393 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maybaby18
Do I absolutly have to wait until 4 months to try baby food? I know baby is only 3 months, but I really want to try it. So do I have to wait?
:
Yes and yes. Three months is much too early to try baby food and although it seems fun and exciting, there is nothing fun or exciting about exposing your baby to the risks of food allergies, diabetes, obesity, as well as the belly aches and constipation that go hand in hand with an immature digestive system not ready for solid food.

Four months is still too early to begin solid foods and honestly, I think the most important things are to wait until your baby is sitting unassisted and showing so much interest in your food that you aren't able to distract him or eat around him (her?) anymore.

Your little one will grow up so fast as it is, enjoy this time when your baby is small and wait until mealtime is fun for BOTH of you.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by maybaby18
:
You can eat as MUCH as you want now, but baby has to wait.

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
I agree whole-heartedly with all the previous posters. Your baby isn't ready for solids yet. She probably still has the tongue thrust reflex which will prevent her from even getting much down. But if she did get some down, it wouldn't be good for her. She can't digest solids or extract nutrients from solids. And her gut is still quite open, meaning that her bloodstream will be exposed to large, complex food particles. Breastmilk is pre-digested into molecules that her body can immediately handle and incorporate directly into here bloodstream and tissues with minimal or no processing.

It's just really not a good idea.

And take the example of my friend's baby who is horribly allergic to many foods: how do you know what she is or isn't allergic to? What if she has a severe reaction? It's not worth the risk just to have some fun!

Hold off a bit, mama. 6 months will be here before you know it!

·
Registered
2,260 Posts
I can TOTALLY understand your excitement, but others have said all I could about the need to wait.

On the other hand, I'll tell you, though it's just adorable once they get to paint their hair with avocado, once you're in the habit and having to clean up the high chair, baby, special dishes, floor, bib and all that every meal, you'll wonder what your rush was

So in two months, consider this article http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/9646449/ it totally changed my perspective on baby food!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts