Mothering Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i work in the infant room of a daycare...

can someoine explain the reason why gerber feels the need to make "baby food" like vanilla custard, hawaiin delight (sugar, starch and pineapple juice basically), dutch apple dessert (pretty much applesauce with sugar starch and cinnamon added) and other sugar laden desserts for 6 month old babies (these all start at #2's, which is 6 mo, but i know people feed it younger).....

i dont have the perfect diet, i enjoy my junk food sometimes, lol, but why do people want to give this to their babies? they order it for us at work - i dont do the ordering anymore, lol, but when i did i ordered fruits, veggies, meats, and the different mixes- none of the desserts. i wont feed it to the kids, but my co workers do, and they look at me like im crazy cuz i comment on the fact that its all sugar....

oh well, theres my rant for the day, lol

·
Registered
403 Posts
To make them addicted to sugar for their life....

I don't know why they can't make just pineapple, or just mango etc. I don't even buy the combos because some of them has soy in it! Or milk solids, or starches like rice flour. IMO babies shouldn't eat grains and starches before age 1. preferably 2 as they are lacking the proper enzymes to digest them.

So I just get the veggies and meats (although I don't like corn startch, but it's better than Beech Nut's meats laden with msg) and fruits. But mostly I prepare my own baby food. I realize it's not possible in a daycare, but it's possible to limit the kids exposure to allergens and junk. Too bad youi don't make the decisions. Maybe you could tell the person in charge there are studies about how sugar is bad for the teeth, addictive, makes kids hyper, etc...

·
Registered
322 Posts
Simple

To make them addicted to sugar and crap food, which makes them unhealthy adults.

Did you ever hear of an industry that benefited from healthy people???? They want us to be sick because they will make more $$$$$$
:

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Also because their customers want it. Sad but true.
If parents would stop buying those flavors, they would stop making them.

Speaking of parental choice, do the parents at your daycare know that these foods are being served to their babies? If my child were there, I'd be upset. At the very least, I'd want to be able to "opt out" so that my child wouldn't be served the sugary foods. You might let it slip to some parents whom you suspect might be concerned about this. The current buyer will listen to parents more than she'll listen to you. Just an idea...

·
Registered
9,825 Posts
Because people will buy it. Sad, but true. It's not about what's healthy, it's about what will sell.

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i know.... but it upsets me

people will give the hawaiin delight for breakfast .....
oh well, i tell them wha ti think, and i do my part by not feeding it i guess thats all i can do really

·
Registered
4,315 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
oh, and honestly, i doubt any of our parents care..... we give daily sheets, and every meal is written down, so they know (the ones who actually bother to read it anyway). it'll say for breakfast "hawaiin delight and cereal" or lunch might be "vanilla custard and peas" or something like that

theyre not bad parents, but most of them are uninformed-starting solids at 4 months, or even earlier, etc.... (i do talk to them about that though- a new parent will ask about starting solids, and i'll let them know the recs. have changed to 6 months, sitting, etc... i hate feed ing babies in a bouncy chair b/c theyre too young for the high chair
)

1 - 7 of 7 Posts