Mothering Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't believe my DD is already 8 weeks old! She has had a rough start unfortunately.
When she was 2 weeks old her older brother brought home a cold from school. All of our hands were dry and chapped from the vigorous hand washing, but at 4 weeks old she came down with the sniffles. Two days later she was hospitalized with RSV.

All in all she handled the virus well and didn't need much supportive care hospitalization was more for fluids since she coughed until she gagged and lost her feeds. Breastfeeding was challenging but we made it through still EBF and she is completely better now. But the two days in the hospital did make me think how bad it must be for whooping cough, and how much guilt I would have if she was there with a VPD that I chose not to vaccinate for.

Then on Friday I learned that DS was possibly exposed to norovirus :(. So far he has been fine, hoping we avoid it (I think we are almost through the incubation period so might be lucky), but if he does get it, I know that she will probably get that too, and I imagine she will need to be hospitalized again at her age.

I also read in the vaccination forum that a RSV vaccine was fast tracked. I hope for other parents it is successful and available soon. I hope that RSV and norovirus both have successful vaccines soon, because I could definitely do with less of those to viruses in my life.

·
Registered
2,724 Posts
Just wanted to send belated congratulations on your new little one. Also I'm so sorry to hear you have had such a rough time. I think we've all seen our kids sick (to varying degrees), and I know I'd do anything to prevent them having to suffer. So I also hope that new vaccines for some of these common viruses will be forthcoming.

Hoping that we'll hear from you soon that the noravirus passed you all by. :)

·
Registered
5,036 Posts
Yes, congratulations on the new baby!

Any update on the norovirus situation? Hope your kids were able to avoid it.

I agree that an RSV vaccine would be amazing. My cousin's little girl was hospitalized for three days last year with RSV and it was just awful. She made it through ok, but it was a really traumatic experience for all involved.

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I am so sorry to hear that you had to go through all of that with your little one.

A cousin in my husband's family lost a newborn this year from RSV. I don't know if the baby had any other health issues. Another baby in the family was hospitalized for dehydration associated with RSV.
I'd like to see a vaccine for it, too.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We are a week out and it appears we dodged the Norovirus. DH said he has body aches today. But he worked out hard on Tuesday and I am hoping it is related to that since it not accompanied by fever or congestion. DS is starting physical therapy next week (for the January broken femur) and I think we are all on the mend.

Thanks for the well wishes on the baby. She is doing well now.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts