Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My 10 month old has start grinding her teeth.  She only has her two bottom middle teeth and her top right eye tooth so far.  It makes the most disturbing sound.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Have any of you seen this before?  What does it mean?  How can I stop her?  Do they make grind guards for babies? </p>

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 9 month old does the same thing. Have no idea why. Would love to hear from other mamas.

·
Registered
98 Posts
<p>My almost-nine-month-old baby does this, too. We just asked the doc about it today and he said it's not a big deal, that it won't hurt their teeth and there's no need for a tooth guard or anything. We had been sticking a pacifier in the baby's mouth when he ground his teeth mainly because we couldn't stand the sound, but the doc says there's no need for that either. I asked why the baby does it and the doctor didn't know, but thought maybe it was just a new and interesting sound to make. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>Hope this helps, mamas!</p>
<p><br>
 </p>

·
Registered
3,214 Posts
<p>My 11 month old has done this a few times in the last week or so. She always looks pleased with herself when she does it lol I can't stand the sound but it doesn't seem to be something she's doing consistently or anything so I'm not so worried about it. I assume it's because she just discovered that she could do it.</p>

·
Registered
3,262 Posts
There are a bunch of kids about 3-6 months older than my daughter (8 months) in my mom's group and recently they were commiserating over this. Apparently it's a stage a lot of babies go through, and there's not much you can do but wait it out. They are basically experimenting with the sound and sensation like they do with just about everything else!

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>okay...but it officially gives me the heebie jeebies!</p>

·
Registered
664 Posts
<p>My DD did that when she first got her theeth in.....now at almost 11 months she is not grinding anymore but I can't remember when she stopped.</p>

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
<p>My son did this also for a few months. We asked our pediatrician about it and he reassured us it's normal. My son  is 13 months now and I haven't heard him do it in a while.</p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts