Mothering Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>DS is long-torsoed, and at 9 months sits in his Ergo with his arms out (unless he's really tired he won't keep his arms in). He's doing his utmost to throw himself out of the carrier backwards. He's doing it for fun - he's a very physical baby and is laughing as he does it.</p>
<p>Has anyone else experienced this? Is it a stage, or should I give up on the Ergo? I bought it for DD, who used it well into her third year so it doesn't owe me anything. We also have a Pikkolo, which is longer so he doesn't do this. But I like having one in the car and one in the house.</p>
<p>Finally, has anyone heard of a baby actually managing to get themselves out of carrier - should I be considering this an actual hazard rather than really, really annoying?</p>
<p> </p>
<p> </p>

·
Registered
174 Posts
<p>Yup-mine does the same thing.  laughs and giggles and arches and seems to be throwing himself out of it .  I had my husband watch him while he was on my back and he assured me that he was secure and not going anywhere (and he is a VERY cautious father).  I have found that if I bounce and hop, he likes that. <br>
Also, if he is on my front, I let him use my hands to stand and bounce on and that stops the back arching and makes me feel more secure..</p>

·
Registered
1,928 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
<p>Thanks - I'll try the bouncing etc and see if I can get him to enjoy that instead - crazy kids. :)</p>

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
<p>The Ergo is a very short carrier. DS1 never once so much as leaned back in it and I was able to wear him in it until he was 2 1/2. DS2 has been leaning and throwing himself back since about the age of 7 or 8 months. Not only did it scare me because I couldn't see how close he was to actually falling out, but it was uncomfortable for me. I ended up getting a taller carrier for him and it solved all of our problems. If the Pikkolo fits him better, I'd use it for out and about (where you are more likely on harder surfaces, etc) and use the Ergo at home. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I agree about bouncing him down into the seat, and also tightening the straps and chest strap tighter to get him in there more snuggly. </p>

1 - 4 of 4 Posts