Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

· Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The midwife checked the baby's position on Tues. and said it's back is up against the right side of my stomach (the head is down). She said a few good contractions could take care of it, but she'd like me to get on my hands and knees and rock my hips back and forth to try and move the baby's back to the front of my stomach.
I don't know why, but I've really avoided being on my hands and knees throughout the pregnancy. I have a prenatal workout DVD that I sometimes do and I always skipped the exercises where you have to be in that position. For some reason I don't feel comfortable with it. Am I just being ridiculous?
And how bad is it to have the baby's back on the side instead of the front? Will that really complicate labor?

· Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
this is what spinning babies says:

ROA
Baby's back is in the front right and feet hardly felt in the left.
The heartbeat heard on the right and the back of the neck would be felt a bit towards the right.
Since I have been routinely charting the fetal head position in late pregnancy, I have not felt a baby in an ROA starting position. I don't have access to ultrasound verification, but I don't think ROA is a "start" position. I don't think babies like to face the descending colon coming down through mother's left rear pelvis. Many babies who start OP, ROP and ROT will move past ROA momentarily, then swing LOT to engage in the pelvis, move below the sacral promontory, and then emerge in OA. Fewer babies engage as ROT and rotate to ROA in midpelvis, and continue down to finish as either an ROA or OA.

huh? ok now I"m even more confused.

I guess I'm just not really sure why getting on my hands and knees is going to make the baby move it's back to the center- and isn't there a possibility of sort of "disengaging" the head from where it is now, very down low? I sleep and lay on my left side a lot, and at the computer I sit on a chair backwards- I don't get why the baby has chosen this position.

I am willing to do it if it is very important to do so. I suppose I should have asked more questions at my m/w appt!! lol.

· Registered
5,852 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:

Originally Posted by anonymommy
To give you another perspective, if your body is saying "hey you, don't get on h-k" that might be an intuition you should follow. .
this is what worries me. I could definitely just be "overlistening" to myself, but for a long time I've thought the only way I'll do h/k is if there's a cord prolapse. otherwise it feels very wrong. it's not something that ever bothered me before pregnancy. so then this whole train of thought that "why do I not want to be in that position" starts, and I end up not knowing if I'm just being paranoid or what.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.