Mothering Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Registered
2,085 Posts
Well, according to www.spinningbabies.com, ROA (what your baby is) is 1/4 turn from posterior. Most babys will not spin around towards the front when going from ROA to LOA (ideal position for birth), rather they turn posterior first and then LOA. So I think your MW is smart to encourage proper positioning. It may help move the baby before the labor starts. Some of the risks of a ROA/OP baby is long prodormal labor, delayed start of labor, labor stalling, and possibly Csection.

· Registered
2,085 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by bri276
this is what spinning babies says:

ROA
Baby's back is in the front right and feet hardly felt in the left.
The heartbeat heard on the right and the back of the neck would be felt a bit towards the right.
Since I have been routinely charting the fetal head position in late pregnancy, I have not felt a baby in an ROA starting position. I don't have access to ultrasound verification, but I don't think ROA is a "start" position. I don't think babies like to face the descending colon coming down through mother's left rear pelvis. Many babies who start OP, ROP and ROT will move past ROA momentarily, then swing LOT to engage in the pelvis, move below the sacral promontory, and then emerge in OA. Fewer babies engage as ROT and rotate to ROA in midpelvis, and continue down to finish as either an ROA or OA.

huh? ok now I"m even more confused.

Yikes, that is confusing. To be honest, I do think the site is prety confusing. But I took the workshop, which clarified a lot. She showed diagrams and such about how babies rotate and that is what I remember - that one their way from ROA to LOA, they tend to turn posterior.

Of course there are exceptions as Anonymommy noted. ROA is also less of an issue with 2nd time+ moms, because their uterus is less tight and allows more movement.

Also, I think you are thinking of knee-chest for cord prolapse. Hands and knees just allows your belly to hang forward and hopefully helps the baby rotate its back towards gravity. But if you are uncomfortable with that, don't do it. How about swimming? Or chiropractic. Both are great for lining up babies.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.