Mothering Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I KNOW that u/s to measure size can really be a crock - we had another u/s today for polydactylism (they weren't sure at the 20 wk u/s if there was bone etc on the extra finger and how many hands/feet affected) and measured the baby - I measure 31 wk 3 days, which is exactly what my "due date" says. They est. the baby weights 3.3 lbs now, and according to the tech that would be a 6 lb baby? Is that right? My poor DH is freaking out now that we are having a peanut..... btw, it's a boy this time. And I am SO much bigger than I was with dd.

FWIW, dd was born at 41 wks 7.3 lbs.

·
Registered
459 Posts
I just had an u/s this morning at 30wks (for kidney concerns) and was told I am measuring at 33.5 weeks! (weight was 3 pds 14 oz)

When I spoke with my midwife about the difference, she said that after 20 weeks we each grow our children differently and simply measuring "small" or "big" on an u/s means nothing, really. And she pointed out, as you already know, they can be quite wrong when it comes to guessing weights and such.

That baby's biggest job right now, until he is born is gaining weight....so you never know - he may be much bigger than 6pds - but mostly, he will be perfect for YOUR family.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
If I remember correctly, ultrasounds at this point are accurate +/- 3-4 pounds. So basically u/s measurements mean just about nothing! If they say you're having a 6 lb baby, you're having a baby who is 2-10 lbs.
:LOL

When I was 41 weeks pg with my oldest, my OB did a u/s and according to the measurements he would be at least 10.5 pounds...OB was thinking bigger. I was induced and gave birth to a 7 lb 2 oz baby. A friend's "6.5 lb" baby weighed in at 10 lbs 5 oz at 38 weeks.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for reassuring me that u/s are worthless for weight :LOL and to just trust my body!
I'm glad I have midwives that will just ignore the size/weight guesstimates
I guess I was just surprised b/c everyone has been remarking how much bigger my belly is this time, kwim? I know he is perfect whatever size he comes out ( :LOL extra fingers and all)

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Ultrasounds can be off by as much as 500 g, which is almost a pound. We had a u/s the day before DD1 was born, and they told us she was 7 lbs 6 oz or something. She turned out to be 6 lb 12 oz (but was 14 lbs by 4 months!).

BTW I look 9 mos pregnant right now and have 2 months to go - I definitely look bigger than I did with DD, but my fundal measurement (whatever that's worth) is right on. So maybe our bodies are just "remembering" being pregnant and "assuming the position" sooner?

·
Registered
183 Posts
My second was supposed to be "no bigger than 6, maybe 6.5 lbs" but I was fairly big and didn't really buy it, sure enough he was 8 lbs 5 oz; but with the twins the measurements were pretty much good estimates (but they were born at 26 wks so the was no 3rd trimester bulk up for them), so who knows. I say let them think it's small, they'll leave you alone better; OBs sometimes want to induce or schedule a c-section if they think the baby is going to get big--so you have a better shot at getting the birth you want (hassle-free) with a big baby if they think it's not one.

·
Registered
2,412 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
luckily my mw won't talk induction AT ALL until 42+ wks so that worry is out of the way....and my fundal height is only a wk ahead, so I guess the rest of the bulk is just me :LOL Lovely!

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Here's another consolation for your DH -- my DD was born at 39w2d at 5lb7oz!!! By 3 months, she was 11 pounds. She was perfectly healthy -- just small like her dad and I both were at birth.

She's three now, and built like a little gymnast -- short, solid, and bursting with health!

(Also, at an ultrasound 2 days before she was born, they told me she was probably about 7.5 lbs. Oops!)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.