Mothering Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At this stage of pregnancy, how long do you give yourself before freaking out about not feeling the baby?

I have higher anxiety this time around and after having a good baby movement day, I get really anxious over a no movement day. Or was that a baby movement or not type of movement.

I can feel him transverse in me and push on him, but then don't feel him move. I have a couple inches of fat, so I'm definitely not feeling movement on the outside yet. Plus most of the movement is down.

Anyway, anyone want to reassure me that it's normal to not feel regular movement at this point? I'm almost 20 weeks, so I feel like it should be getting regular!

·
Registered
486 Posts
My mom said she didn't feel regular movement until well into the 5th month with me, and today my midwife confirmed that this is normal (I'm just 16+4, but I expressed concern that I felt the baby move three days in a row last week and then nothing since then...she said it will be at least a month or more before I can feel it everyday, and it all depends on the position the baby is in right now until he's bigger). I bet you'll start feeling it regularly in the next couple of weeks though!

·
Registered
246 Posts
I'm thinking they say its not until 28ish weeks that they expect you to track movement. They'd have us track as soon as it was reliable, right?
I haven't felt anything in about 2 days after a fair amount of movement too. When the movement is only internal, I have to be paying attention to feel it. I think I haven't been paying attention for the past few days. I'm sure our little beans are playing around gently in there :)

·
Registered
168 Posts
I'm pretty sure that I've heard 26 weeks, or somewhere around there, is when people typically start kick counts.

I'm not feeling the baby regularly, although it's always at least once a day now. I probably wouldn't be concerned about it until about 20 weeks, knowing my history of crazy babies. I am feeling on the outside, so it should be getting more regular I'd think.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I think since you've felt baby, and then not felt baby for a while, and then felt baby again, that it seems normal for you not to be continuously feeling movement and that things are okay regardless. Fifth baby and I can't remember when I can reliably feel baby throughout the day - but it's really fun when you begin to recognize baby's sleep/wake schedule!

I'm 16 or 17 weeks and I feel baby every day, but randomly. I can usually prompt movement by pushing one part of my belly - but then I feel guilty like I woke her up or something.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Today was much better. Random movements starting at breakfast and continuing throughout the day. :)
Glad to hear it! I'm in the same boat as you, feel the babe one day but not always the next. I'm 19 weeks and a bit on the plump side, so I'm trying to wait patiently until I can feel him or her more reliably and maybe even see a kick here or there. My midwife also says it's normal at this stage to not feel the baby from one day to the next.

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Very normal but definitely freaky! :hug At this point so much depends on baby's position/where they are kicking, where the placenta is, the mother's body... after 24-26ish weeks the strength and size of the baby outweighs these other factors.

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Now I'm waiting for movement! I don't think I've felt anything since yesterday morning. I've been prodding my belly but no luck. Maybe she's just in a position where I can't feel the kicks and wiggles. C'mon baby, give mama a little peace of mind!

·
Registered
486 Posts
I finally felt movement again yesterday after 4 days of nothing, but then so far haven't felt anything today. I'm really glad to know it's normal and I just have to be patient!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
I finally felt movement again yesterday after 4 days of nothing, but then so far haven't felt anything today. I'm really glad to know it's normal and I just have to be patient!
Phew, that makes me feel better. I still haven't felt anything definite for a few days. Maybe baby is facing my back so I don't feel her pokes right now.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Since the day after I posted I have had all busy, active days. Which will make a slow day even harder! Peru sin though baby will be quite large and not so easy to not feel.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I think I felt two kicks last night as I was going to sleep. It felt like somebody was inside of my body, very lightly poking me from the inside. Weird!

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
Movement! Yesterday! Lots! Woo~hoo! Baby was worrying me after I didn't feel movement for so long. I was starving after waiting for way too long at an appt. for my daughter and we stopped at Trader Joe's and I had 1 tiny bite of dark chocolate (when what I really wanted was salmon and full-fat yogurt and a steak with butter and sour cream!) and boy was she kicking on the way home! One of those kicks was a good one too, surprised me by the strength. :love DH and I quickly made dinner (bloody chesseburgers, green beans & potatoes drenched in butter - YUM!) and I ate two plates full. :lol Happy mama = happy baby.

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
My mom said she didn't feel regular movement until well into the 5th month with me, and today my midwife confirmed that this is normal (I'm just 16+4, but I expressed concern that I felt the baby move three days in a row last week and then nothing since then...she said it will be at least a month or more before I can feel it everyday, and it all depends on the position the baby is in right now until he's bigger). I bet you'll start feeling it regularly in the next couple of weeks though!
This thread made me feel better. :) Last weekend and a few days after, I felt SO much fluttery/bubbly movement. Then nothing much at all the rest of the week. I chalk it up to week 16 growth spurt means more sleeping and just that it's so early. I know baby still moves bc I either see a bulge here or there or I have already got pressure on my lungs.

Movement! Yesterday! Lots! Woo~hoo! Baby was worrying me after I didn't feel movement for so long. I was starving after waiting for way too long at an appt. for my daughter and we stopped at Trader Joe's and I had 1 tiny bite of dark chocolate (when what I really wanted was salmon and full-fat yogurt and a steak with butter and sour cream!) and boy was she kicking on the way home! One of those kicks was a good one too, surprised me by the strength. :love DH and I quickly made dinner (bloody chesseburgers, green beans & potatoes drenched in butter - YUM!) and I ate two plates full. :lol Happy mama = happy baby.
*Digs out dark chocolate coconut bar

·
Registered
8,236 Posts
This thread made me feel better. :) Last weekend and a few days after, I felt SO much fluttery/bubbly movement. Then nothing much at all the rest of the week. I chalk it up to week 16 growth spurt means more sleeping and just that it's so early. I know baby still moves bc I either see a bulge here or there or I have already got pressure on my lungs.
*Digs out dark chocolate coconut bar
I'm 17 weeks tomorrow (or 18 on Wednesday) and yesterday and today have been BIG for baby movement!! I think that growth spurt has kicked in and baby is now big/strong enough for me to feel pretty regular movement. This morning I woke up half laying on my belly and I could feel her kicking the squished section of my belly probably in rebellion. :lol

·
Registered
1,438 Posts
Hehe, how fun!

·
Registered
4,110 Posts
Adorable @Metasequoia! :love

Yesterday I had my first actual "kick" or anything besides fluttery bubbles... I was watching my dd8 perform with her choir in a church with a beautiful organ playing (they were singing Morning Has Broken, love that song) and I had tears rolling down my cheeks and baby thumped, hard. Pretty special. :heartbeat

1 - 20 of 94 Posts