Mothering Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>My baby will be 3 weeks in a couple days. She nurses like a champ--in fact up until yesterday she would nurse for an hour at a time. However, she hasn't been nursing like she used to--sometimes she'll fall asleep 5 minutes into a feeding, other times she'll just pop off wide awake and not eat any more. Then today of course I got the dreaded green poop, and I was expecting this since I know she's not getting the hindmilk because she's not staying on as long as she used to. What do I do? I can't *force* her to eat. I'll do whatever I can to get her to wake back up if she falls asleep nursing--change her diaper, burp her, lay her on a flat surface--nothing's working! Any thoughts or suggestions on what I can do?</p>

·
Registered
7,246 Posts
<p>So it's possible that by nursing so much for an hour at a time, you're now making so much more breastmilk that she's content without emptying out a breast. (The more she nurses, the more milk your body is signaled to produce.) Also, as they get older they do get more efficient at nursing so it could take her much less time to fill up. I would personally try block feeding for a short while - not too long so as not to negatively affect your supply too much - but to get her to get to the hindmilk. Maybe nurse her every time she nurses over a 2 or 3 hour period on one breast, and then the next 2 or 3 hour period on the other breast. (If she's only nursing once every 3 or 4 hours for 5 minutes, then my question would be whether she's still gaining weight and having enough wet/poopy diapers, but I'll assume for the time being that she's nursing pretty frequently still.)</p>

·
Registered
10 Posts
<p>I agree with mamazee, I did the same thing with my little guy and it worked great. He was getting everything he needed from one side, and I fed him on the same side in 3 hour blocks </p>

1 - 3 of 3 Posts