Mothering Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So this little one's position is really questionable. At times I wonder if there has to be two in there to be making all the kicks/wiggles/rolls I feel often at the same time. I think baby may actually be head down by virtue of where I feel movements, but then sometimes I get confusing movements and I still often feel lumps on either side of the belly. So here's my drawing without the lumps since those confuse me. If you need to know, the lumps are typically felt at 3 and 9 o'clock, but often go slightly more vertical and can vary btwn 10 and 4 or 2 and 8. :) I think the back is along the left side, but I have no idea really. It's just that I feel a lump followed by a smoother hard surface there. I can't feel a round head down low, but I feel something hard down there.

Anyway, so here's the drawing:belly map.JPG

The heartbeat and hiccups are ALWAYS where you see them listed. The hiccups are really down low and I can feel them on my thigh when I sit. I feel most movement in the upper right and it's typically taps/kicks and sometimes it goes right under my rib. Several times I have felt like I grabbed a foot right there. For sure there is a leg/arm or hand/foot there even if it's next to another identifiable body part. In the lower right, I sometimes feel a tickle-like drag feeling which definitely feels like hands in comparison to the large kicks in the upper right. What's confusing is the movement I have been feeling lately at center left. It doesn't just feel like pushing, but I could be wrong. I almost never feel movement there unless the right side is also going. The baby will do "psycho baby" (as we call it) and the left and right side go crazy at the same time.

So based on the drawing and my description, can you think of a feasible way the baby could be sitting?

I have an appt on Friday and I'll see what midwife thinks, but I'm just curious.

·
Premium Member
176 Posts
looks like babe is head down with knees in the big movement area and the feet where you feel the most movement. That're pretty much where mine is sitting and the movement that I feel. The dragging movements you feel and the hands and fingers. With my third, later in the pregnancy she would scratch the bottom of my uterus....it was actually quite annoying.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
I say head down, butt in the 90% area, feet in the huge but infrequent area. So basically bent in half with back to your right. Mine is very similar and I'm my way to the midwife this morning, so I'll report back on how she says it's positioned.

·
Registered
651 Posts

·
Registered
1,357 Posts
I'd say the top area with 90% movement is feet. The big movements are knees. Where you get the heartbeat is their back and head is down.

·
Registered
1,457 Posts
Okay, I'm back from the midwife. My drawing could be the same as yours depending on what kind of movements you get in the 90% area. In that area, I have a big lump. It's positioned most of the time such that leaning on the kitchen counter is painful. It moves, but in a sliding way, not in a kicking way. Then, over at the left where you have big infrequent movements, I also get some movement. Maybe not "big," but those movements are harder to classify which is what makes me think that in my case, they are feet.

The midwives today had a bit of trouble figuring out how my baby is placed. I have an anterior placenta and low fluid, so my bump is rather tight and compact. The student with my midwife was quite clueless, but my very experienced midwife says that something, probably a head, is very far down in my pelvis and the lump in the 90% area is probably the butt. The whole baby is down the right side and way towards the back. The bit that can be felt in the lower left is feet. However, she can't be 100% sure that the bit in my pelvis isn't a butt with the lump being the head. She says that it's probably head-down but that the bit that she can feel in my pelvis isn't quite hard enough for her to be sure that it's the head.

So anyway, depending on what kind of movements you get in your 90% area, you could be in the same boat.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks!

I drew a picture of the circle with baby in it in various positions and found one that fits. Baby head down, back up the right side with baby bum in the upper right. Then one or both knees bent and I am feeling a foot or both feet in the 90% area and a foot or both knees in the big movement area. That makes all the stuff on the chart line up with hiccups, heartbeat, and small hand tickles down low. Phew! Now that I have a picture that makes sense (with the help of you ladies), I am less worried there are two in there! LOL! I will take a pic of my drawing and see if you think it makes sense. I'm not a good drawer though. :)

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
That is a cute drawing! <3 And yes, I think it lines up. But I think baby is bigger now, right? Wouldn't he/she fill up the space more? Like this, but flip it around for you...

Normal Fetal Position

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hey, that's MY baby! :) We are carrying the same way. I could have drawn your picture. Let me know what your MW says. I have my once-per-trimester appointment with the OB on Monday, so I plan to ask her what she thinks (last appt. the MW was only 90% sure he was head down). Yeah, those two lumps are very confusing! And the kicks! I feel them way over to the left and sometimes right in the center. And sometimes both at once which makes me think his legs must be splayed or something.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoonToBe View Post

Okay, here's my lame drawing. :)

baby map.JPG

What do you think? Lines up?

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think your drawing looks great! Before my appt yesterday I had been all concerned that my baby was transverse because I had one pretty big lump on the left side of my belly and then I would get another, harder, lump protruding on the other side. I thought the baby was lying sideways with the big bump being the bum and the harder one being the head. But, it turns out the big bump is the baby's back, his bum is right up top (the mw had me feel it and it is still quite bony now, not at all the cushy tushie I was imagining) and the bumps I was feeling on the other side are his kness and/or sometimes both feet pushing out together. His head is down and in my pelvis which is why I can't feel it (duh). I feel so dumb about what I was imagining was what, I guess I'm not very good at belly-mapping! But I am so so relieved that he is head down and I (hopefully) don't have to worry about that anymore. I like knowing what is what now too, I feel more connected to what is going on in there! Can't wait to hear what your mw thinks.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby_Cakes View Post

That is a cute drawing! <3 And yes, I think it lines up. But I think baby is bigger now, right? Wouldn't he/she fill up the space more? Like this, but flip it around for you...
Normal Fetal Position

I think they have more room than in my drawing, but I don't think they are as squished as in your drawing quite yet. I could be wrong, but I saw most of those tight squeeze drawings for the end of pregnancy when there is hardly any amniotic fluid space. Plus, if this pic was me and just flipped, it couldn't account for feeling stuff on the right AND left since I don't see how those little feet would get to the other side. :) Good pic though and it helps visualize. My drawing was a skinny baby. :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maurine View Post

Hey, that's MY baby! :) We are carrying the same way. I could have drawn your picture. Let me know what your MW says. I have my once-per-trimester appointment with the OB on Monday, so I plan to ask her what she thinks (last appt. the MW was only 90% sure he was head down). Yeah, those two lumps are very confusing! And the kicks! I feel them way over to the left and sometimes right in the center. And sometimes both at once which makes me think his legs must be splayed or something.
We have had so many similarities! I will let you know what she says. I feel pretty confident baby is head down now though so that's good. I don't see how I could feel the hiccups and hear the heartbeat so low if it wasn't. Phew! I know you had two lumps on either side just like me so it's nice to hear from you because I know you know there is only one baby in you. It's just very weird and tricky to figure out. Yeah, maybe our babies are spreading their legs out to stretch. Sometimes the baby goes psycho and it's like there are 8 babies in there at once. It's sooo weird. I'll call to my husband, "Hey, come feel...it's doing 'psycho baby' again!" That's when I feel HUGE pushes on both sides and you can see a very, very large lump rise up and down with some short bursts of kicks thrown in. Crazy baby!! :)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by clovermom View Post

I think your drawing looks great! Before my appt yesterday I had been all concerned that my baby was transverse because I had one pretty big lump on the left side of my belly and then I would get another, harder, lump protruding on the other side. I thought the baby was lying sideways with the big bump being the bum and the harder one being the head. But, it turns out the big bump is the baby's back, his bum is right up top (the mw had me feel it and it is still quite bony now, not at all the cushy tushie I was imagining) and the bumps I was feeling on the other side are his kness and/or sometimes both feet pushing out together. His head is down and in my pelvis which is why I can't feel it (duh). I feel so dumb about what I was imagining was what, I guess I'm not very good at belly-mapping! But I am so so relieved that he is head down and I (hopefully) don't have to worry about that anymore. I like knowing what is what now too, I feel more connected to what is going on in there! Can't wait to hear what your mw thinks.
That is exactly me!! I thought baby was transverse because of the two lumps on either side. I forgot about the knees and back possibly being lumps. I know newborn bums are pretty little so I imagine they are super teeny now and it makes sense it would still feel bony. It's nice to hear there are at least a few other ladies in the very same boat. For some reason I was having a day or two of worry (not full blown) that there had to be another baby in there to make movements on opposite sides at the same time along with the other sensations. Now it makes more sense and is especially comforting from those of you who had appointments and/or ultrasounds to confirm there is only one little one in there. I wasn't really worried, but it did cross my mind. I have NO symptoms of twins...easy 1st trimester, low end of HCG levels, not gaining a ton too fast, often measuring a little small rather than big, etc. I'm a dork, though I did read in all my books that nearly all women question the possibility of twins (or more) at some point in their pregnancy. Nope...guess we just have little octopi in there. LOL I love you guys!!! (<---feeling happy and mushy today for some reason...maybe because I slept better the last 2 nights!)

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
Hee hee! I totally have suspected twins based on my belly movement. But that would be soooo weird after having, uh, 4 ultrasounds now? So, as long as you aren't measuring way ahead, I imagine you really do only have one in there. I am actually looking pretty big, so people keep asking me about twins, or if I am "due any day." They almost look like they don't believe me when I say I have 7 weeks to go!

Quote:

That is exactly me!! I thought baby was transverse because of the two lumps on either side. I forgot about the knees and back possibly being lumps. I know newborn bums are pretty little so I imagine they are super teeny now and it makes sense it would still feel bony. It's nice to hear there are at least a few other ladies in the very same boat. For some reason I was having a day or two of worry (not full blown) that there had to be another baby in there to make movements on opposite sides at the same time along with the other sensations. Now it makes more sense and is especially comforting from those of you who had appointments and/or ultrasounds to confirm there is only one little one in there. I wasn't really worried, but it did cross my mind. I have NO symptoms of twins...easy 1st trimester, low end of HCG levels, not gaining a ton too fast, often measuring a little small rather than big, etc. I'm a dork, though I did read in all my books that nearly all women question the possibility of twins (or more) at some point in their pregnancy. Nope...guess we just have little octopi in there. LOL I love you guys!!! (<---feeling happy and mushy today for some reason...maybe because I slept better the last 2 nights!)

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Okay good. No, I'm not measuring ahead. In fact, I have measured behind at all, but two appointments. One I was right on and another I was 2 weeks ahead. I was right on (or week behind) at my last appointment. I'm 33 wks tomorrow so I'll see how I measure then. Thanks Maurine! Yes, I would think that you would have seen another baby after 4 ultrasounds!!! Also, out of curiosity to see if we are similar in another way, how much weight have you gained (if you don't mind me asking...hope that's not rude)? :) I'm up 30-31 lbs at 33 wks though some may be puff/fluid from the last week because I had retirement parties, my baby shower, etc where I had more processed food than usual.

·
Registered
9,883 Posts
Quote:
Quote:
I think they have more room than in my drawing, but I don't think they are as squished as in your drawing quite yet. I could be wrong, but I saw most of those tight squeeze drawings for the end of pregnancy when there is hardly any amniotic fluid space. Plus, if this pic was me and just flipped, it couldn't account for feeling stuff on the right AND left since I don't see how those little feet would get to the other side. :) Good pic though and it helps visualize. My drawing was a skinny baby. :)
Good point. Yeah, you're right -- but I think we're closer to them being squished like that than you think!!!

·
Registered
1,310 Posts
30ish pounds for me too! Which is weird, because people always say "you're all belly." I'm like, uh, have you seen my butt? That must be where it's going because I know I am not carrying 30 pounds in my belly! lol

Oh, and another similarity that I saw in another post of yours...I too had hormonal issues before pregnancy (which led to our needing IVF). Always have had irregular or non-existant periods. They diagnosed me as probable lean PCOS, but didn't confirm it. Anyway, I've always been on birth control pills pretty much until we started trying and man, was I bitchy! Being off the pill and even being pregnant has been so much better for my mood over the past 2+ years.

Quote:

Okay good. No, I'm not measuring ahead. In fact, I have measured behind at all, but two appointments. One I was right on and another I was 2 weeks ahead. I was right on (or week behind) at my last appointment. I'm 33 wks tomorrow so I'll see how I measure then. Thanks Maurine! Yes, I would think that you would have seen another baby after 4 ultrasounds!!! Also, out of curiosity to see if we are similar in another way, how much weight have you gained (if you don't mind me asking...hope that's not rude)? :) I'm up 30-31 lbs at 33 wks though some may be puff/fluid from the last week because I had retirement parties, my baby shower, etc where I had more processed food than usual.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Yet another similarity!!! I had to get off the pill because I was very moody. I hated it!

People say I'm all belly too and just like you, I know I don't have a 30 lb baby right on my tummy! LOL I've seen your pics and you look all belly to me too! In the last week I've noticed some puffiness in my thighs and legs and I think my arms a bit bigger, but in general, it does seem to be pretty concentrated on my belly. I feel like I've gained too much, but I guess I really haven't. I wonder if all our similarities mean I'm having a little boy too. :) We shall see. I actually have been feeling like it's a girl, but who knows.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Okay, I had my midwife appt. She agrees baby is head down! DH freaked a little when she was pushing on my belly and could see the bump being pushed side to side as she felt the outline. He was worried she would hurt the baby. Anyway, so here's the best guess from her:

Baby is head down with the back up my right side. The 90% area is likely the bum and the strong movements are the feet. She said she thinks the baby is in a V sorta and is a little Olympic diver. :)

So the good news is little one is for sure head down!!! Also, I'm no longer worried there are two in there at all. She found the heartbeat right away exactly where I hear it and it was loud on the back side (the right) and softer towards the left just like it should be apparently. Also, I'm measuring about 2 wks behind so there's no indication there's anything but one very wiggly baby in there. :)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.