Mothering Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
939 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been reading Spinningbabies.com, and I have a couple questions to kinda bring together what I'm learning there.<br><br>
* to encourage an anterior position, I should let my belly be a hammock as much as possible by sitting with knees lower than hips leaning slightly forward, and spending times on hands and knees, and sleeping on my side or even almost on my belly with lots of pillows--yes?<br><br>
* if I know the baby is breech, I can do inversions to encourage him to flip<br><br>
but ? if he's not breech, or if I'm not sure, <span>should I completely AVOID inversions</span> [and I'm including here of downward facing dog and/or child's pose which I do as part of my regular yoga practice]?<br><br>
And ?#2, squats. My yoga teacher encourages us to do them to open our hips and build stamina, and as a means to practice our kegels [mulabanda], but I know that squatting can cause baby to engage into the pelvis prematurely. This is my second babe, I'm 29 weeks, 3 days today. <span>At what point do I need to stop doing squats</span>, and then, <span>should I resume them once I know he's engaged</span>? or, only if I know he's engaged properly [which how would I know that? with mapping I can tell if he's breech or posterior, but <span>can I know whether he's asynclitic</span> which was the problem with my first? [ds1 may also have been posterior, not sure]]?<br><br><br>
Thanks for any advice. I'd appreciate it!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm not sure about the yoga questions, but I think that as long as you included all these poses in your practice before pregnancy you should be fine. I did squats, downward dog, etc. all the way through my first pregnancy without issue. I didn't do other major inversions but I've heard they're also fine for the experienced yoga mama.<br><br>
I was obsessed with Optimal Fetal Positioning with my ds. I think it worked, too, because boy was he ready to come out. Here's another website you could look at: <a href="http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm" target="_blank">http://www.homebirth.org.uk/ofp.htm</a><br><br>
The good news is that you don't really have to start focusing too much on it until about week 34 I think, when the babe is getting too big to change positions much. I started sitting on a yoga ball and taking a pillow with me wherever I went to encourage a forward tilt position in the hips. People thought I was nuts, but I didn't care -- I was really really afraid of back labor for some reason.<br><br>
good luck!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts