Mothering Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,086 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
<p>I have a baby shower for a friend who is fairly mainstream on Saturday and I am at a complete loss as to what I should get her.  We're not super close, but we hang out a few times a month. I suck at handmade stuff so it needs to be something I can buy.  She has a registry, but most of it is stuff I refuse to buy for one reason or another (brand issues, etc).  I was thinking maybe a copy of The Baby Book, but I was planning on spending $40 or so so I need another gift.  Ideas?</p>

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
<p>Zipped lingerie bag to wash baby socks in. </p>
<p> </p>
<p><em>The No Cry Sleep Solution</em> (good book about helping babies sleep that doesn't advocate sleep training and CIO)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>An IOU for a meal after baby's arrival?  Bring the meal, with paper plates etc. so she doesn't have to wash dishes that night?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>One of my favorite  gifts was a massage certificate.  I didn't think I'd like it, but it was a great half-hour break and recharge. </p>
<p> </p>
<p>I've heard of "Mom Baskets" - stocked with good shelf-stable snacks, a space for a water bottle (or with one), kleenex, extra breastpads and burp cloths - the sorts of things that you sit down, start to nurse, and realize that you NEED.  If she has kids, a "Mom Basket" which has stuff she can distract the older sib(s) with would be nice??</p>

·
Registered
2,863 Posts
<p>Some things I like to give or have liked getting:</p>
<p> </p>
<p>better-quality hand sanitizers (small for diaper bag and/or larger for changing table)</p>
<p>frames (for baby pics)</p>
<p>wooden teethers</p>
<p>babylegs might be nice (if going to be a winter baby esp.)</p>
<p>baby & mom exercise dvd</p>
<p>kid music cd's</p>

·
Registered
6,460 Posts
<p>Clothes, if this is her first baby... things that could work in any season depending when baby grows into them (i.e. light sweaters or pjs, socks)</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Not sure how this would go over with her but a couple of easy one-size cloth diapers (all in ones or pocket dipes), even if she plans to use disposables I would think a couple cloth ones would be nice for when they're just around the house or whatever.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>You could also look for generic things on her registry that you could buy in another brand -- so if she wants X brand of blankets or burp cloths or whatever, maybe you could get your Y brand instead (I wouldn't do this for the big/specific items though 'cause she's likely chosen those carefully but I doubt it would matter for the little things).</p>

·
Premium Member
2,231 Posts
<p>Ooh, if you can get it, a reusable swim diaper would be great.  I don't know why anyone buys the sposie ones when the reusable ones are available.  :)</p>

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
<p>Swaddling blankets 40 x 40, squares.  I had babies that loved to be swaddled (when they were not being worn, but those tiny blankets did not work well on my big babies (8lbs 11 oz and 8 lbs respectively),  If she is going to BF, washable breast pads and a mesh bag to wash them in (also works great for baby socks), nursing cami (I love the ones at target).  baby clothes in bigger sizes.  I had a lady give ma a nice wicker basked lined with pretty matherial that had a spot for washclothes, dipes, burp clothes, water, etc.  I carried it from room to room with me during the day so I had everything I needed to change the baby, clean her up, snack & dring while I was nursing.  It was great.  I have already made one for my sis (that matches the mei tai) and she is not even preggers yet.</p>

·
Registered
2,755 Posts
<p>I like the breastfeeding basket!</p>
<p><a href="http://www.mybabyandmore.com/files/The_Breastfeeding_Basket_Instructions.pdf" target="_blank">http://www.mybabyandmore.com/files/The_Breastfeeding_Basket_Instructions.pdf</a><span style="display:none;"> </span></p>

1 - 8 of 8 Posts