Mothering Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
<p>So after absolutely NO TALK of a baby shower for this child for the entire pregnancy, my mother in law announced a week before Christmas that she wanted to throw me one. Awesome! However, she's checked her planner and can't afford the time until January 23rd. I'll be 37 weeks pregnant. My first child came at 39 weeks on the dot. Tell me honestly- is it even worth planning one then, so close to my due date? What would be more stressful and exhausting- a baby shower at 37 weeks or a welcome new baby party a few weeks after the birth?</p>
<p> </p>
<p>I mean, really all I want a party for at this late in the game is to add some beads to my birth necklace (why is there not a birth bead aftermath thread yet, by the way?) and to contribute postpartum meals to my freezer. I don't really need baby stuff. So both of those things would be lost in an after-the-birth party.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Ugh. I hate these type of things- the stuff you have to just wait around for someone to decide to do for you. It <em>never</em> seems to end well, does it?</p>

·
Registered
2,781 Posts
<p>DDCC to say that my family threw me a shower when I was 38 weeks.  DS was born one week later.  It was actually kind of awesome because he was already on everyone's minds.  Do you have to help plan?  Cause that part kind of sucked.</p>

·
Registered
4,753 Posts
<p>DDCC to say that I had 2 baby showers, one at 36 weeks, one at 37 weeks. She was born the day of the 37 week shower, so we moved it up a week and it was a welcome to the world party. I will say, I wasnt very photogenic at 36 weeks, so all of my shower pics look like crap. Sorry no one planned one for you earlier.</p>

·
Registered
326 Posts
<p>I loved my "Welcome Home" party for my 28-weeker son.  If you're more comfortable doing a "Welcome Earthside" party than trying to throw something together in the next few weeks, I think it's a great idea!</p>

·
Premium Member
5,391 Posts
<p>My first was at almost 39 weeks (it was Saturday, I was 39 weeks on Monday), it worked out well. I did the baby shower then washed everything I needed to. I didn't have to do anything for it other than show up, eat, open presents and laugh with my friends. No stress for me and it was a fun outing considering my husband ended up having to work that day anyway. I figured if I went into labor where better to be than a room full of women who had been there done that and all had my husband's cell phone number so they could call him if need be.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>Only bad thing ended up being I locked up the apartment (we only had one key, I had it) thinking my husband was working all day. He got off in the middle of the shower but didn't want to disturb me so he spent 5 hours sitting outside our apartment waiting on me..then another hour helping me sort through things and put things away. Since he had been up since 2am to get to work on time he was more exhausted than I was and crashed like 1 1/2 hours after I got home. Poor guy.</p>

·
Registered
366 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
<p>Glad to know this isn't a totally insane idea. Thanks for the comfort, ladies. Invitations are going out this weekend!</p>

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
<p>I just made a registry. I'm 35w. Two different people have told me they want to throw me a shower. Not sure if either person will follow through with it. All my prodromal labor has caused DH to think that I don't have 5w left. So maybe I won't be having a shower. Either way, Target gave me a bunch of coupons, samples, and a reusable shopping bag that folds up- free just for registering.</p>
<p> </p>
<p>If someone asks me what I need for the baby I can point them to the registry I guess.</p>

·
Registered
236 Posts
<p>I'll be 36 weeks at my shower on Jan 22nd.  Here's hoping baby stays in until after the shower! hehe!  I just made and am just starting to send out registry info, too.  A little late in the game, but not too late, I don't think.  It's a weird time of year to have a baby due, because it does make shower planning a little difficult!  December got too crazy, Feb is too late, but January is still do-able, right?  I'm hoping so, anyway!</p>

·
Registered
313 Posts
<p>DDCC - I am due in early March but I never had my baby shower because my son was born that day (my first) the day I turned 36 weeks....very unlikely for a first to be that early, but it can happen!</p>

1 - 9 of 9 Posts