Mothering Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are moving from the beginning to more advanced stages of signing and I am running out of signs! Where do you get your signs? Books? Web sites? I don't really want to order a bunch of videos but haven't had much luck with the book I bought because it isn't made for kids so it has signs for CD-ROM but not motorcycle! I need to know tractor, ladder and all the other things we see on our walks.

Of course, we make some up but the problem then arises that we soon find out we were really signing something else, and then we have to make up a new sign for the sign we stole. . .

cutest, newest made up sign-- ds saw a fly in the kitchen and signed "spider" and "airplane"

·
Registered
2,864 Posts
Pick up an ASL dictionary at your library or the local book store!

Also, if you can't find a sign you are looking for it may be because it doesn't exist in ASL...a lot of words need to be finger spelled. We have made up signs for a few words we use frequently...like "nurse."

·
Registered
66 Posts
Is there a sign for Soy?

My daughter (11 months) signs "milk" for nursing, but we're starting to give her a little soy milk soshe can have it while I'm at work. I don't want to confuse or trick her by calling that milk, so we figured we could just call it "soy" and drop the word milk, but I don't know the sign for it. Is there one, or does it have to be spelled? Any other suggestions for soy/rice milk signs?

·
Registered
7,632 Posts
We just picked up a vidio on signing from the library today. i havnt watched it so im not sure what signs are on it, but if it seems more advanced ill let you know the name of it for sure. we've been signing since elwynn was about 7 months old, but now that he is so verbal we dont use it as much...but i do want to be able to sign with him so im going to hopefully rekindle it. he still knows all of the signs we have learned but only uses them when i ask him to sign it whereas he used to always sign the words he knew as well as say them (when he learned to say them) i think more than anything i have to remember to sign to him and then he will remember too..
good luck on your search!

·
Registered
2,581 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by wendymc
Is there a sign for Soy?

My daughter (11 months) signs "milk" for nursing, but we're starting to give her a little soy milk soshe can have it while I'm at work. I don't want to confuse or trick her by calling that milk, so we figured we could just call it "soy" and drop the word milk, but I don't know the sign for it. Is there one, or does it have to be spelled? Any other suggestions for soy/rice milk signs?

We use the sign for cup. We call it 'milk in a cup'. As opposed to the milk sign he uses for nursing.

·
Registered
738 Posts
The ASL for motorcycle is "With both "s" hands at either side of the waist, plams facing the body, move them upward a few times from the wrist as if revving a motorcycle." Sorry, I don't know ladder or tractor. I'm guessing soy is fingerspelled because it is quick and easy to spell. (For grownups, not necessarily for kids.) Many families use the "milk" sign for nursing. I assume you don't mean "nurse" like "doctor", which is an "n" or "d" signed with the right hand on the left wrist as if you are looking for a pulse.

There are many sign language books at most bookstores. Your library should have some, too. We also like "Nursery Rhymes from Mother Goose Told in Signed English." It can be ordered from Barnes and Noble. Are you near a college? Most of my sign books are actually textbooks.

FYI: if you are not familiar with Signed English (ESE), it uses most of the same vocabulary as ASL, but the sentence structure is different. I find sentence structure in ASL to be more like spoken spanish... ex: see car red. ESE sentence structure is identical to spoken English. I would like to sign ASL, but find most of my signing is "pidgeon" (sp?) a mix of ASL and ESE.

Here is a link for Gallaudet University Press for some kids books and videos, etc.:
http://gupress.gallaudet.edu/catalog.html

I have some sign language videos, but not sure where from. I'll try to find the videos and find out. I think they were from Gallaudet years ago. Did you try Amazon, too?

·
Registered
3,334 Posts
I am not familiar with a sign for "soy". When imagining how I would sign it with a deaf adult, I would probably briefly describe what I mean "You know that fake milk? SOY? yeah that" and then fingerspell it later in the conversation. If I was signing soy very frequently and quickly, I would end up dropping the "O" and just signing "S" "Y" that's a very typical thing to do in ASL.
I also didn't know the sign for nursing, and had to think about it for a while after reading this thread. I thought about it a lot last night and realized it was signed frequently in conversations with deaf adults. Two of the ways I've seen it signed, and thus signed it myself were:
1. "EAT" and then pointing to the breast with a F handshape, kind of grasping the material with my fingers, and slightly wiggling my hand, with a slightly puckered mouth.
2. describing the motion of nursing with your dominant hand, while making sucking motion with your mouth. It's hard to describe, let's see. . . Open hand, open fingers, slightly touching breast, closing hand, closing fingers while moving away from nipple. Men can do the same but of course on a flat chest.

The first one felt not quite right, and the second one was too graphic and complicated for a baby. We ended up just signing "MILK" which then quickly turned to spoken "nana"

I'm going to have t think some more about "tractor"

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you! The sign I made up for motorcycle was very similar, but one-handed. I did buy an ASL book but there are chapters on religion and computer terms while I was looking for Santa, elves, tractor, blocks, etc. Anyone know of an ASL book aimed at children? I will check out these links. Interesting that their just might not be a sign for the words I can't find: so far we have made up ladder, drill, screwdriver, motorcycle, garbage truck, Barney, Cookie Monster, bubbles, lawnmower, and many more.

·
Premium Member
5,038 Posts
Quote:

Originally Posted by mraven721
We use the sign for cup. We call it 'milk in a cup'. As opposed to the milk sign he uses for nursing.
We did the same thing. My twins (now 23 months) don't sign at all anymore (unless reading a book of baby signs), but they still call milk other than breastmilk "milk-in-a-cup," even when it's still in the carton at the store, it's "milkinacup!"

·
Registered
5,119 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
When ds wants "milk in a cup" he signs milk then points to the fridge. If its breastmilk he wants, he signs milk and tilts his head to the side like he's getting into postion. He has also started signing milk at large chested women. Dh and I laugh, but now that the movie Meet the Fockers has a signing baby in it, I'm afraid those ladies might catch on!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.